Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Burger 80 - Work in Progress

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PPD, Aug 24, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PPD

PPD Member

Figured I would start a new thread to highlight progress on our refit of the 1973 Antilles. Just purchased the boat about a month ago down in FL. She is on the hard at Miller Marine getting a bunch of work done, and while she is there, I am making trips down to tackle a handful of tasks before she makes the journey north to CT.

List of work being done this month:
    1. Stabilizer removal
    2. Bottom paint and new zincs
    3. New shaft seals
    4. New batteries/32v charger repair
    5. Paint boot stripe
    6. Paint Sheer Strip
    7. Paint Flybridge stripe
    8. Rename
    9. Remove and replace hydraulic steering cylinders
    10. Demo aft deck
    11. Demo Main Salon
    12. Replace Toilets
    13. New Exterior cushions
    14. New Bimini

Here are some photos of progress to date: note - 2 days of work by yours truly and I've already filled a 20 yard dumpster just cleaning out the lazarette, flybridge, bow locker, and all the furniture and demo debris from the aft deck... Will update with more photos in a few weeks when the list has more items checked off.

Attached Files:

2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Looking forward to see more of what looks like a serious refitting project, all the very best for it!
    Just one question: was the extended cockpit retrofitted, or did it come from the builder?
    I'm asking because the props and rudders placed much more forward from where they normally are suggest the former alternative.
    But it could as well be an original builder's trick.
    After all, also Nordhavn did the same with some of their models... :)
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Subscribed!
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Good looking boat…
  5. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I'm still kicking myself for not buying that boat and I'm a sportfish kind of man. Let me know if I can help in any way, I'm based just a few miles from there although I'm dealing with a sick mother right now. West Nile virus is hard on an 82 year old.
  6. Hatterized

Hatterized Member

a classic Burger, quite a canvas for you to create your art masterpiece !!!
  7. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Thanks for sharing. Love old Burgers. The stern at the transom is flatter than I was expecting. Not a criticism just an observation.
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

If I'm correct, she was originally 72 feet. The Burger cockpit also has historically had a radius transition at the cap plane changes. The wheels and rudders are in the proper location for the original boat. The added cockpit is a nice feature that could well improve the ride, the handling and use, and also much added fuel.
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Your battery project...this might be a good time to transition to 24v from 32v. You can swap the starters, alternators, and shut down switches on your Detroits to accept the change. The 24v will give you a better modern DC backbone for the vessel. It's also a good time to relocate the batteries from the original lazarette into the ER and replace the battery cables with new ones, much shorter as well.
  10. PPD

PPD Member

Yes, the cockpit was added by Burger. According to the design drawings that I discovered on the boat, it’s a 6 foot extension +- that was added.

the added fuel tankage is a real plus, and the access to the water is significantly improved too. Line handling is made easier also.

when they added the cockpit they installed a good size freezer in the lazarette, but that’ll it is so old and degraded I have to get rid of it. Problem is, it won’t come out the hatch, so I will be cutting it out on one of my next trips. Fun.
  11. PPD

PPD Member

I’ve been considering this change, but how would this affect the 32v house panel and everything it feeds?
  12. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

We installed both a refrigerator and a freezer in the transom fish boxes of our 1964 65 Sparkman version. It was a really nice feature if the casing and tubing are still in good order, perhaps consider revisiting it later in your project. If in good order would be a smart plan to seal the copper tubes aboard after removing the compressor.
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

List anything that "must" remain 32v. Consider replacement of any vintage 32v with new 24v. Use a temp DC panel to handle the conversion, housing the smaller load on the temp, be it 32 or 24. Phase out the 32 over a short time period. Much of what is running 32 can likely run fine on 36v as your temp 32v system.

I made a clean House break from 32v at the onset. Changed lighting to 12 and 24v LED, toilets to 24v, electronics to 12/24, etc. I left the iron for last and ran them on 36v. In hindsight it was an easy swap (iron) that I could have done at jump street. As I recall the starters, for instance, were simply rebuilt with a 24v solenoid replacing the 32v version. I upsized the alternators to provide more punch so that the mains can charge everything underway, including handling the electronics load in the event I want or need to cruise without 120v running.

Make a list. I think you'll see that it's not a major hurdle.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

BTW, all of your wiring for systems outside the ER is run through common chases outboard of your rear guest staterooms. You'll find AC and DC junction boxes behind the closet panels in the guest and master staterooms. Really simple to add a ground leg through that network to update you AC outlets, etc. Simple boat to refit in that regard. Be sure you run the proper wiring, however, for any new systems as the original wires are all black and white coating, no DC color schemes aboard historically.

You'll also likely find a tractor trailer worth of nonsense beneath the pilot house counter. I think I pulled out an old telephone system that was the size of a VW behind the former radar "pit". I actually rebuilt that whole area into a proper desk/nav/office. Acres of available space.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

....if you find you are ready to convert the house DC panel, you simply feed the panel with the 24v rather than the 32v...the breakers don't care. Good plan to remove any wires associated with ER systems, and rewire the replacements with fresh tinned copper. But really good idea to abandon the long heavy battery cable feeds to the laz, and install new cables within the ER with the new batteries. That long run coupled with load and age is a sketchy cocktail for a DC fire...
  16. PPD

PPD Member

To get this going in the 12v/24v direction as you outlined, what do think the cost would be to get set up with starters/alternators, a temp panel tied in, etc? I feel like that process, being done down in FL while I'm up north could drag on and delay getting the boat up here where I can dig into and manage it better.
  17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Well, the starter and alternators can come from a source like DieselPro, shipped to you for around $1500 per engine. You can do better if you have a shop that rebuilds and can convert your existing starters to 24v via a swap of solenoids. I think I used 130 amp alternators.

I haven't seen your electrical panel, but it might be that you could bifurcate the existing 32v panel into a 24v as well as a 32/36 volt. But given the level of "gutting" I see in your aft salon, I think this would be an appropriate time to swallow the pain and commit to the transition. You'll be happy that you did going forward.
  18. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Also, if you're just converting the iron to 24v at this time, You don't need a panel. You just bridge through your existing disconnect battery switches. You can feed the panel later, and you'll want dedicated batteries for the mains, anyway. You don't want delicate electrons or lighting to be sharing a circuit with those big demands for starting. In fact you'll want a dedicated bank of batteries for your electronics and sensitives altogether...
  19. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

...add, that if you simply need to get her underway and power the engines, you can feed them as-is with 36v rather than 32, and they will happily start for you. Then you can manage the transition upon arrival. I can't speak for your resources at her location today or destination....that's the tricky part.
  20. PPD

PPD Member

Ok, so maybe a dumb question, but If I change out alternators, convert the starters, add in some 12volt batteries, new cabling in the ER, add a 24v panel to run these systems and any "new renovations" through, don't I still need to maintain the 8 volt batteries in the stern to keep all of the 32v items running? The refit is going to take a couple years, so I will have areas coming online with 12v/24v, but original rooms still on 32v. Elec Panel.jpg

Here is the panel