Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Block Heaters

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by jlresq, Mar 10, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jlresq

jlresq New Member

I have block heaters on my 56. Is there any chance that they become disabled when the engine switches are on? I understand that they cut off at a certain temperature but just curious whether there may be some OEM disconnect as soon as the engine switches are turned on.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There could be a N/C relay somewhere, I don't think so.

The instructions in the KIM install papers state to never run the engine with the elements on.
    I have the thermostat option on my 12V71s. The element itself does not cut itself off.
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I'm of the opinion that most if not all come with thermostats, therefore when the engine is started and the coolant comes up to Temp. the heater shuts itself off while the engine is running. So no need for an interlock to the ignition.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The most popular this way is the hotstart; An 1500W element that is installed directly into the coolant jacket of the engine.
    The thermostats are an option here. I sell and install them.

Now the real fancy block heaters would have a thermostat; these are remote tub/tube heaters that heat and circulate the water thru the engine while it's not running.
    Here in south Georgia, we don't see many of these fancy things.
  5. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Thanks. I already have the Kimhotstart block heaters. I had them rig up an inline thermostat that turns them on when the temps drop below 40 and they shut off when the temps are above 60. Those are ambient temps in the engine room. The problem is that it has been below 40 the last few nights and I do not think that they have turned on. However, that is the temperature outside the boat. The ER is probably warmer since the charger gives off heat. I just need to make sure they are working properly and not really sure how to test them. They are new as of December.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Find the sensor and cool it off some how. in a quiet ER, you should be able to hear the elements sizzle a bit.
    I would hope there is a manual ON/Off switch somewhere to bypass the sensor and/or disable the heaters completely (for service).

I worked on another boat that had 12 hour timers on his. Just turned the dial for how long he wanted them on that night.
    My fuel polish pumps have the same timers.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Feel the base of the heater where it inserts into the block, it should be warm. So should the circulating water if its been on for a while. I keep mine on Oct thru June (nice warm engine room in Jan and Feb) and just need to put my hand on a water jacket to know its working. Constantly turning them on an off, IMO, can increase your cost of operation - rewarming all that water over and over.... Also when my boat is decommission, I close the air inlets and place movers blankets over the engines to hold the heat longer. I have a small fan on low that circulates the ER air
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We only warm them up the night before we leave the dock when it's cold.
    They are not going to freeze.

Beau, do you have a circulating heater?
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Yes they are immersion heaters with thermostats. also I'm located in the NE so we have different conditions to contend with. My engines are also completely winterized
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, your already 37F and the sun is just going down.
    Stay warm and safe.
    ,rc
  11. jlresq

jlresq New Member

I have a breaker to turn them on and off. I have not yet rigged up a bypass of the ambient thermostat to manuall turn them on when the temps are above 40 degrees. That will be the next project or I may just cut out the thermostat and have them in full manual mode. I could also get a thermocube to plug into the outlet that would be a quick in out if I want them temp controlled or buy a greenhouse thermostat to be able to vary the auto on temps.