Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Best boat type in 40ft range for Mediterranean Sea

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by BFOD, Sep 7, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Bertram 360 MY BOSS.jpg

I have a 2009 39ft Bertram 360 fitted with 2 x Volvo Penta D9-575hp engines and shaft drives which I use for fishing as well as cruising. It has a Deep-V bottom. This type of hull has a deadrise of 25 degrees amidships which reduces only slightly to 20 degrees at the transom. This shape allows high-speed operation in rough water. This boat will do anything and go anywhere. It is a serious boat and will handle any weather. If you are interested in this type of vessel which is extremeley reliable, seaworthy and safe, search for a simiar sportfisher.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. muscled430

muscled430 New Member

Well.....reviews are usually made by someone (magazine or web ) who is getting money from the yards as advertising. You will never (or super rarely) find a bad review about Azimut or Ferretti or Beneteau because....they pay for advertising. The worst reviews are made by the transmission "the boat show". Check the reviews : never one bad word about a boat tested. Do you know why? If a yard wants his boat on the transmission the boat show, has to pay. This means that the reviews will be always positive, no matter what.
  3. muscled430

muscled430 New Member

I can agree about the solidity of such a boat.....but it is a mistake to measure deadrise at midship, and deadrise 20° at transom is not a deep v......A Deep V hull is an hull that at transom is minimum 21°.
    The hull of Bertram is solid, but on rough sea will never be as comfortable as an hull with 24° at transom. It is just a good compromise.
  4. muscled430

muscled430 New Member

Well...I forgot to add something....you do not need extra titles for long range cruises, you need a lot of experience. And experience is something that you do not learn on books. I have been on board many times with an old fisherman, he had no titles but many many years of experience. We faced few big storms, he always brought me back safe and I always felt safe. Once I was on board with a friend of mine, he had a lot of titles and he was proud of it, but not enough experience. We faced some rough sea, nothing terrible, 10-12 feet waves with about 35 knots wind, I had to take the wheel and bring the boat safe to destination because he panicked and did not know what to do. I have only a a normal boat licence limited to boats under 24 meters, but I have it since over 30 years and every year during summer I go around the Med for at least 1500 nautical miles. I might not be the best in making knots, in tracking a route (don't get me wrong, I can track a route on paper but I think we are in year 2017 so.....I use the plotter), in reading flag signals, but I do have some experience.
  5. BFOD

BFOD New Member

Thanks for all the input, elling E4 is a nice boat, but out of my budget.

I have been looking on a Bayliner 4788 models, any comment is well appreciated.

Older Grand banks where made like a tank, but compering the new generation Eastbay 44 to the Beneteau 50 with same LOA, it seems that the tank has lost weight.

Beneteau Swift 50 (new) LOA 14.99 dry weight 16.000 kg
    Eastbay 44 (new) LOA 14.65 dry weight 13.500 kg

Grand Banks 46 EU (1993-2007) LOA 47.3 (14.41 m) dry weight 39.000 lbs (17.690 kg)

GB heavy build like a tank??? it seems that the new ST 50 is slightly lighter than the older GB46 EU for more are less the same boat, style and LOA.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017
  6. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Eastbay is different to a Grand Banks 46 EU.
    1. Totally planning hull designed by Hunt.
    2. Vacuum Infusion bagged build
    3. Smaller modern engines to 46 EU
    4. LOA includes a bolted swim platform and bow pulpit

For a planning 44 it still not a light boat. But also not super heavy.
  7. muscled430

muscled430 New Member

Agree 100%
  8. Lenny

Lenny Member

I think you might want to look at an older Grand Banks. I can only speak from experience. I have NO financial interest in Grand Banks and now have a larger Dutch built boat. Had a wooden 48 ft Grand Banks in the 70's. Went over 25,000 miles through out the Caribbean and Mexico. Only sailboats at that time. No facilities for powerboats. Great boat. Overbuilt. Then had a fiberglass 49 foot Grand Banks, 1985 model. again overbuilt. Went over 20,000 miles, Caribbean, Maine, New England etc. Very few problems but yes "It's a boat". Boat was being delivered back to Miami from New England. 50 year old, 500 ton Captain, with clean record and first mate. I was not on board. Running thru the fog off New Jersey, 4 knots, fog horn on. Hit on the port side by a steel hull 110 fishing vessel going 14 knots IN THE FOG. Captain of the fishing vessel had no license. Fishing vessel was charged with the accident. Very BIG hole in my boat. My captain thought it would sink. Made it back inside New Jersey to the Viking Yard for repair. You would not believe the thickness of the GB, really impressive, reason it did not sink. These older GB are great boats. Only 8 knots and yes will require more maintenance, since they are older. Just a thought. As an aside, I sold the 49GB glass six years ago. Buyer still loves the boat.
  9. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    Holy cow
  10. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

You’re not kidding .
    Would have split my thin old Ocean Yachts in half.
    Really !
    Fog is the worst . Very freaky to be out in.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cabo 40/41'
  12. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

As far as seaworthiness, would you include the Antares 11 in that assessment?
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I've never been aboard the Antares line so I can't say if it's built to the same sub-standards as their motoryachts. Beneteau makes good blow boats but I'm inclined to believe their power boats were a contributing factor in their demise.
  14. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

Thank you!
  15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Anteres are my bread and butter, we deal with hundreds of them.
    Bertrams of the Med.
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I'd rather call them the Bayliners of the Med.
    With all due respect for Bayliner......:)
    JadePanama, Liam, JD8 and 2 others like this.
  17. Liam

Liam Senior Member

While some Antares have good hulls, and are genuine boats, the old 43 and 12 come to mind and probably the 36 with line shafts.
    Beneteau's are build to a strong price point and that will show in its quality and robustness and other stuff.
    Calling them a Bertram is totally wrong.