Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Bertram 54 Sport fish, good, bad ugly??

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JessRyan, Aug 29, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JessRyan

JessRyan New Member

Hi, first post here, but am seriously looking at purchasing a 1988 Bertram 54 Sport Fish Convertible, and was looking for any first hand knowledge of what to look for or stay away from possibly?

Good boat? Ride? Common issues?

The boat looks beautiful and in great condition, but haven't done a survey yet at this point.

Thanks
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Can’t really go wrong with an old Bertie :).

the 12V92s must be thirsty and not cheap to maintain though.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Welcome to Yacht Forums

Assuming your looking at the boat in Miami.
    Interesting, hours are not mentioned in the ad.
    12V92s will be your concern. Abuse and/or high hours can ruin a great looking boat.
    For giggles, find out what shop has been working on them.

Without records and logs proving proper maintenance, don't take anybody's verbal as honest.
    I hate to say that but that comment has been proven correct a few times.

Bottom line, Survey all very well with your crews.

Do you have a real Detroit shop near you? If not, find one.
    They will become your best friends. Maybe your engine survey crew.
    That is not meant to be negative. Just real Detroit techs are getting harder to find.
    Yes, old age does catch up even to the best DDC techs.
    My heavy DDC crew has retired (again).

Runny correctly with smiles all around, 1100hp (each) of any brand, can consume some fuel.
    That is not meant to be negative, just reality when moving up from a smaller boat.

Lots of 12V92 owners here.
    Lots of ole sport fish owners here also.
    Give them a while to come on this thread.
    Lots of folks running about prepping for this storm coming.

Oh, Have you talked with your insurance agent about this or any larger boat?
    Could be an interesting conservation.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have a VERY good MTU / DD guy here in Miami, he rebuilt both our 16V2000s. He does surveys too
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Rotted decks will be your main concern. Check foredeck, FB deck, cockpit decks for structural integrity and no water. Rotted fuel tanks is another, especially the cockpit tank. Bad wiring at that age. 12v92's another issue. They did good on a head sea, roll on a beam sea, and ungodly on a beam sea on the troll. I managed one for a while, never loved them. Always have to step on one piece of machinery to access another..........never really cared for them. But IMO a 1988 54' Bertram will be a huge money pit....... your best bet would be to go to a late 1990's, early 2000's Post 50' with 820 MAN's and never look back......much more efficient and a better boat ALL of the way around.
  6. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I had an 87 42 Bertram and its tanks were fiberglass. I have come to question some of my memories but I believe I am correct on this. Capt J mentioned bad wiring. I did have a rotary switch get real hot. If I hadn’t caught it would have started a fire. I don’t know if that is specific to rotary switches. I also felt that Bertram didn’t make the shafts big enough but it is possible my issues were something else. They were 1 3/4 with 375 hp engines with 2 to1 twin discs. I would buy an older bertram again but I would do it knowing most all systems if not upgraded will have to be upgraded. Not cheap.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our 45 year old Bert has FRB tanks in great shape. The 54 next to us for many years, had FRB tanks.
    I think later, alloy tanks were used.
    To be sure, your first inspection should include eyeballing the tanks, Just a lil access is all that is needed if they are FRP or alloy.

If they are alloy tanks, your surveyor has to do some heavy crawling around. Worth the extra bux.
    Ask him to bring a procto-scope to get picture views not available from line of sight viewings.

In the pictures, The anchor foot switches look like some deck repairs have been done, The stb bow chock looks missing.
    Shame no ER pictures.

On your first visit, take a million pictures and post what you can.
    Under the caomings, under everywhere you would usually not see.
    We luv to look at stuff.

I'm a Detroit bum. Lots of engine and gen-set pics also.

Let us also know your first visit schedule. Somebody may meet you to help, if needed.
    I would luv to but busy tying stuff up.
    Seems a lil rain cloud is approaching N FL. People freaking out at the last minute, again, again..
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

That sounds just right, also according to my props/shafts calculator.
    Ok, shaft diameter also depends on the specific type of steel used, shaft length, and other minor parameters.
    But by and large, I wouldn't call that not big enough to handle 375hp.
    motoryachtlover and Liam like this.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, We have 2.5" solid (one piece) shafts @ 650 HP each.
    Over kill.
    I'm sure the shaft size is correct on this 54.
    But, lets get a spec from the seller/broker.

The prospect buyer can get an idea by a cloth tape measure or string and measure the circumference on first visit.
  10. JessRyan

JessRyan New Member

Lol, yep, its the one in Miami.

We looked yesterday and shes pretty but of course didn't have the chance to do a major inspection.

Great advice and when we go down again for a second look I'm going to get try and look at the tanks

Wishing I had taken pictures of the enigine room but only got some basic video of interior and exterior stuff

They had replaced the foot switches and def did some work up there on the bow.

I'm in Melbourne Beach but have some large boat shops around, honestly haven't found a shop before hand but will look into that

We already have insurance figured out. We almost purchased a Hatteras with the 12v92's but discovered a high pressure issue on the survey that we couldn't get past. Took 3 weeks to work out insurance and is definatley a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the input and always good to hear

And its "about 750 hrs since major rebuild" on Detroits. Will have to get records to see exactly what the means
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The tanks are aluminum on a 1988 54' Bertram. 2 in the front of the engine room in a good location (high above bilge water and not near ER vents). The aft tank usually goes bad on them because it's under the cockpit sole and close to the bilge water. Bottom line is there are a ton of systems that should be replaced on most 1988 sportfish. Old galleymaid toilets that are constant headaches, does it make sense to buy a rebuilt pump at a $1000 or a complete new raritan toilet (but takes more labor and parts to install), old wiring, old gauges, old electronics, a/c's, decks that are prone to water intrustion and rot, deck hatches, and the biggest are 12v92's.......it'll take you 4 months just to get all of the rebuild parts to rebuild one and then you're dealing with rebuilt liners......and engines that'll need to be rebuilt 900-1000 hours later........Then you want to burn 90 gph to do 21 maybe 22 knots......or 60 gph to do 26 knots in a 50' post that doesn't half half these issues to deal with and motors you'll get 7,000 hours out of before needing a reman. and aren't leaking oil all over your bilge or noisy and stinky. If it's a towered boat, that thing will roll like crazy on the troll.
  12. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Don't know, but this sounds a bit out of the blue for a sportfish which was an unreachable bench mark for sea keeping in its size and beyond for two decades (80s-90s).
    Beamy seas rolling in trolling is true but that is for full towered units. The Napier hulled Bertram's onward from the seventies are really a good all rounder in all kind of seas.
    The machinery thing is correct, but in rough seas (any direction) a Bertram 54/570/60 would still eat most sportfish's in its size today.
    Probably a boat which came close to the B54 was the mid noughties realeased (2006-) Hatteras 54 but then not as good in following for its flatter deadrise, and slower in heads seas, and better in beamy seas.

I think before the advent of Gyro stabs, full towers where particularly tough on anything sub sixty feet in beamy seas.
    Robertoman likes this.
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I'd just bring a caliper instead! :)
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The mid 90's-2006 54' Hatteras is an animal. It is an excellent riding sea boat and build quality and fast. I ran one (a 2004) with a tower a lot, and it rode incredibly well and was a much better boat all of the way around. I ran that boat at 32 knots in 6' seas on the bow coming out of the inlet and then on he beam for 150nm one day and it never once pounded.

The Bertram has a very deep V all of the way back, on the troll or running with a beam sea they rolled very well. The 57' Bertram I also ran 1000's of miles, it was a better riding boat especially on the troll, than the 54' but the COG was too far forward (at least the one I ran with single generator, hard top boat), especially since it had a single 1700 gallon fuel tank at the front bulkhead of the engine room, anything more than 1/2 fuel and it ran like a submarine. Never ran a 63', but would never touch a 57' or 63' due to dozens of them structurally coming apart, including the new at the time 57' that I was running around, owner got rid of it after a year and bertram doing fiberglass work on it twice.
  15. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The hull in the 54 and 570 is the same seventeen degrees deadrise aft.
    The 630 has a slightly more modified hull, closing at sixteen.
    The lower COG and centre tank is what improved the rolling I guess.

The Hatt 54 series 2 was introduced in 2002 and produced till about 2011 (becoming the GT54 in that year), and then replaced by the GT59 in 2017.
    Deadrise is a flat two degrees on the 54 if I remember well, and that will surely give you less roll in trolling.
    I do agree that the 54 Series II is a better all rounder then the Bertram 54, but it took them like twenty years to make a better boat, and the help of the luxury tax which practically
  16. wahooUSMA

wahooUSMA New Member

I'd love to scoop me up a 50 Post!
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, the center tank screwed up the COG on the Bertram 57' and with 1/2 fuel or more the boat is a complete submarine, extremely wet. I did well over 1500 NM's on one I managed. Boat still rolled pretty good on the troll, but not at cruise due to it's 31+ knot cruise speed giving it more stability at cruise, however you'd get a 5 gallon bucket of water on the enclosure every 2 minutes in a 3' sea.

The GT59' did NOT replace the 54' GT. The 59' GT replaced the 60' GT. The 54' GT they still made a year or two after the debut of the 59' GT. The earlier 54's were a better boat than the Bertram 54'.