Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay

Bertram 54 Refit Project

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Ormond Bert54, Apr 8, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. threestiks

threestiks New Member

Shock treatment.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Diesel Kleen makes one now called "Clear Tank Diesel" or something to that effect. It's sole purpose is eating algae. I have had very good luck with it and all of their products.
  3. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Electronics console is in ..

Forward helm bulkhead is in ...

Teak door below steering helm is in ...

Getting down to the finishing touches.

Getting broke.

Attached Files:

4. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

is that a new steering wheel you bought? if so what size is it and where did you get it? I've been looking for one. thanks!
    Tom
  5. Ormond Bert54

The Steering wheel with knob is an Ongaro 50001 from Yacht Supply Depot. (approx $336)

Check into whether yours is a "Flush mount with Bolt" ... This could mean you need a 50005.

They had to do something to make mine fit correctly which makes me think I purchased a 50001 when I actually needed a 50005.

The control arms and knobs are Ongaro also.
  6. Etan Miller

Etan Miller New Member

Looks really good. have any more pictures of the upgrades?

I might be purchasing one of these if all goes well and would love to see some more pictures of the potential of this thing. Thanks
  7. Ormond Bert54

I'm on my way to see the boat today for the first time since December. Of special significance is the fact that I have proven AGAIN that it is MORE expensive to fix up a boat than it is to BUY a boat.

I will spend the night on the boat and drop off my friend and Captain along with his first mate for the long voyage home. They will spend a week or a little more with the boat helping to wrap things up before beginning the trip from Orange Beach AL to Belfast ME.

I might try to hop on for the ride from Boston up to Belfast if the timing works out!

I am long past the sleepless night anxiety phase which occurred during the stressful purchase and initial planning phase.

Will have lots of photos.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That is a good haul in a sport fisher, are you going inside or outside and how long do you expect it to take?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I did a trip in a 35' Carolina Classic from Pensacola,Fl to Falmouth, Mass and we did it in 13 days our cruise speed was 24 knots, that trip should take about 16 days at a similar cruise speed.
  10. Etan Miller

Etan Miller New Member

anyone know the cheapest method of getting such a large boat shipped from florida to los angeles? a few quotes that i got so far were $28k for shipping on 2 trucks from texas to san diego...$36,000 from florida to cabo san lucas and Ill drive it back the rest of the way. obviously it ruins the deal for me with such high costs, but if i can get it down to around $15-$20k, i'll be okay with it. still have to fix her up :)
  11. Ormond Bert54

How large is the boat you want to put on a truck? The Bertram 54 is 16 feet wide not to mention height and weight of over 65,000 lbs. I think on the water is the only reasonable method. It can be loaded on a freighter ship but the cost would be around $50k from my brief research. The boat is an addict and it's drug of choice is cash.
  12. Ormond Bert54

Spent the night on my Bertram 54 after having been absent for 6 months of work. I dropped off my friend and captain who will be making the trip with a first mate. The current plan is to go through the Okeechobee canal and then do large hops up the gulf stream if the weather is cooperating.

The boat is leaving no later than June 23rd ... any contractors still on board at that time are either coming along for the ride or jumping ship!

I took no photos because there was mess everywhere (one of the problems with NOT being present for the work). Fortunately, my friend Don who is Captain for the trip is "Mr. Photo" ... I can count on an endless stream of photos. Will post some soon.

Regarding the boat ... all is well ... engines purr ... no smoke ... All systems functional ... look and feel is dynamite. Finishing up the enclosure and electronics install .. All hands are on deck as the project comes to a conclusion.
  13. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

Did you have a new aluminum top made for your flybridge? if so, can you share the cost of it? I need to get mine redone due to corrosion.
  14. Ormond Bert54

send me your email ... I'll send you the quote ... $20k for all new aluminum including enclosure, handholds, ladder, rocket launchers, bow rail.

In my case, I have now removed the tuna tower ... originally wanted to save it by just replacing the corroded aluminum. The first pipewelder removed a bunch of corroded pipes and then walked off the job with my $3k having done nothing but some damage.

The second pipewelder took weeks to get going ... finally got going ... now he is moving right along ... days from completion FINALLY. If I had started with the 1/2 tower idea 6 months ago, I would have sourced and purchased a fiberglass hardtop for the 1/2 tower. Glasstech did the extended instrument box for me and it's PERFECT so I would be inclined to ask them if I was going to do a fiberglass top. Very nice work from somebody who obviously knew the precise measurements.
  15. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

Thanks! PM sent with my email addy
  16. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

Mike,
    what product was used to finish your fighting chair and flybridge panels? I'm about to refinsh my chair and am leaning toward an AwlGrip product. Thanks.
  17. Ormond Bert54

I have an email into the carpenter for specifics. Will post when I hear back. I know it's 2 coats clear Epoxy followed by 2 coats clear urethane. One of them is Awlgrip. I will get the specifics.

Hope it holds up ... those helm chairs and fighting chair were a real bear. I'm having covers made for the chairs and the instrument console that will come down to cover the wood doors and wood trim.
  18. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I had a slightly smaller SF with the same over all height moved to cabo san lucas for just under $15k about a year and a half ago. Truckers are really hungry right now, you'd be surprised at what you can get done. Although the 54 can be moved over the road with the flybridge and console in place, you'd save a ton of money if you remove the flybridge and console, set them on the forward deck then look for quotes.
  19. Ormond Bert54

OK ... here are the specifics on the helm chair, fighting chair and helm woodwork ..

The epoxy is West Systems 105 resin and 107 hardner, the clear is Awlgrip clear with Awlcraft 2000 on top.

Mike
  20. Ormond Bert54

I would still be amazed if anybody would move a 54 Bertram over the ground because of the roughly 17 foot width ... that's a full two lanes! How in the world?