Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Bertram 46 vs Hatteras 45/46

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Picknasty, Aug 19, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

I had a quote from two down there as the boat was in Coral Gables. GlassTech was too low and several advised avoiding them, and in my opinion I think at one time it was a top yard for Bertram's but the day I drove down there the owner-mgr. was not there, the only one that spoke English was a gal in the office and they didn't appear to be a facility for spray painting. They would need to get tent & scaffolding; same with the other; Norseman, where my survey was completed so they saw the boat and were about the same as Cable, and Hinkley up in Stuart.
    Regarding your seller. Assuming contract would be subject to survey-sea trial and you could walk for any reason, you should be able to get a firm quote from whatever yard does the haul out. With all the yards I saw up the Miami River I'm sure there must be at least one that can do a good job spray painting. Up this way they were Roll & Tip pushing which I wanted no part of.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Glasstech is a pretty good yard. I haven’t had any paint done there but I be hauled out a couple of times. In fact we re pulling up the 110 next week for rudder seal repair

Norseman was bought a couple of years ago, the long time owner/manager stayed on for a while, not sure if he s still there. Hopefully it will remain a good yard

Hurricane cove, also on the river, has a very good paint shop, Alba’s. They have done many boats that I know including a Viking SF whose owner is extremely picky :)
  3. kiffa

kiffa New Member

Hi, SplashFL knows what he is talking about. Both are good boats, but the new hull is so much better. It rides better, is dryer (the older 46.6 is very wet), and rolls less. It makes much better use of space and a cleaner engine room. But hard to find.
    20160113_100435.jpg 20160419_111150.jpg 20160419_111904.jpg 20160419_111916.jpg
  4. kiffa

kiffa New Member

Some more images to compare.
    20160419_111942.jpg 20160419_111947.jpg 20160419_112032.jpg

Attached Files:

5. kiffa

kiffa New Member

Last set. 20160419_112015.jpg 20160419_112119.jpg 20160419_112146.jpg
    Liam likes this.
  6. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Very interesting. Both beautiful boats in good conditions.
    I think what looks dated is the door entry area. If you could open that with a modern large glass, sliding door and mezzanine these boats will give a run to SF of similar size.

Re.hulls, I remember being told that the 46.6 hull was modified and used to the 50. While the one of the nineties 46 came from the previous 43 Conv.
  7. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Many have changed the sliding salon door to swing stile as Bertram eventually did, BUT what's not visible in the posted photos is the "stubby" design of the 46.6. If the wallet and dockage permits, I think around 1988-mid 90's the 50 & at one point an updated 54 were built when still in Miami. During my search a 50 showed up on the market only a dozen miles south so had to check her out even though the 46 was max for my dockage situation due to other 25 ft. boat. The 50 has an extra ft. of beam which I liked but in the case of the local one; she had been run up here from a life of neglect in the Caribbean, plus she had 12 cyl. Detroit's I wanted no part of; if not yet learned, Detroit mechanics have become a rare breed. I explored the 43 but other then one in either PR or Dominican Rebublic that went through a major renovation- repower, & priced like new, they all had Detroit 6V92's, 550 hp nicknamed grenades, plus they lacked the 2nd full shower, washer/dryer and something about the stateroom I didn't like. Once you look at the 46.6, and a 46 if you can find one, you'll quickly see all the improvements. Why so few 46's were built I have no idea. Bertram was bought & sold too many times and I've never run into one that knows.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

O K
    Can somebody hold my hand and tell me what hull is what and why one is better than the other?
    20160419_112015a.jpg
  9. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Usually I would vote for the black bottom but this is an exception. :eek:
  10. bigbill

bigbill New Member

i had a 1976 38 bert and a 1977 46 hatt. the bert had formica for the interior walls, the hatt had teak walls. much nicer interior in the hatt..i prefered the hatt while anchored or trolling, not near as much roll as the bert. they were both great in a head sea. i would probably still have the 46 hatt if hurricane katrina had not totaled her. i now have a 58 hatt yf . hatteras has a great support and parts system in sams marine, bertram not so much. both are great boats but there is no perfect boat. go look and board several of each to get a good feel of what works best for you and your family
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, We still have our 1978, 58' Bert with formica and photo wood panels.
    They scrub clean and no worries over he wood (strange teak?) in the Hatterass's.
  12. CWV

CWV Member

If I’m not mistaken the 46 out of Baltimore in that picture “reel deal” was placed up on the rocks in the c&d canal some time ago and repaired by canyon club in cape may. Google 46 bertram on the rocks - there’s pics from this site

Back in the day I was a bit too close to it, and not sure I believe the story as to why or how she “accidentally” ran aground.