Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

Backdraft spray into cockpit of 46' Post?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by LUCKYDOG 3, Jul 6, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Yes. Heading into the wind is worse since you have air coming around the boat faster than your speed. Not much you can really do. I would think this happened with your Egg Harbor too? (avatar pic...) Maybe a bit less since they have a smaller overhang?
  2. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

very little with the egg harbor
  3. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

I get it on my 50 as well. Open the Front vent (not the full front panel) and it dissipates. Open the full front and its gone.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

When its sloppy I just open the bottom zipper on the front panel and keep the eyebrow vents open. Can stress the stitching but I'm running slower because of conditions if I have to do that.
  5. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Yep, that it can! I have a split in my center panel from running too hard with the bottom open :(
  6. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Make sure you open and close them when there is no pressure, otherwise you'll be doing repairs or buying new ones...
  7. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Dont I know it now! I don't want to replace the whole front, so right now I am limping along with the EZ2CY cracked but bonded with epoxy for now. Im a much bigger fan of polycarbonate nowadays...
  8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Yeah I leave mine all the way closed or all the way open and open or close them with no wind pressure. No zip up a little and leave the bottom open- that'll eventually screw up the panel. I like the flexible panels but they need to be replaced after 5-7 years even with proper care. If you have a particularly bad station wagon effect eyebrow panels are a must. Some boats have that SWE and some do not.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

If you have spray coming over the bow with the seas coming at one point or the other off the bow, try raising the trim tab on that side. (You should be running the bow higher anyway) It tilts the boat a bit and gives the forward chine a little different angle against the oncoming seas
  10. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I was recently on a downeaster that had a small lip at the back of the house.
    It prevents water from pouring onto the deck and is enough to break the suction greatly reducing the station wagon effect.
  11. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

I've done the tabs for spray, and that helps, but I have to say, at cruise, my boat likes some tab. 3 seconds of bow down on the tabs gives me about an additional 2-3 kts, and reduces the engine load 5% and keeps the same fuel burn. If I have no tabs and run the bow high, it's a touch drier, but without all the benefits.
  12. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Mine too.