Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno

Azimut Yacht's Rendezvous

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by John B, Jun 15, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John B

John B Senior Member

This past weekend Azimut Yachts and Surfside 3 had a get together for Surfside's Azimut customers at Chelsea Pier in Manhattan. They had several people from Italy representing the manufacturer and this event is always a good time.

I wasn't able to bring my Azimut, but was able to visit for a few hors on Saturday and am glad I did.

Here are a few pics:

From left to right - A 68 plus, 62, another 62, a 42 and a 55. There were quite a few more on the other side including another 68 Plus.

Attached Files:

2. John B

John B Senior Member

Here is a view from the other side. Weather could not have been more perfect.

Attached Files:

3. John B

John B Senior Member

There was a very nice Benetti there as well next to these boats. A Feadshipwas in front of the Benetti, but didn't get a shot of that.

Attached Files:

4. John B

John B Senior Member

Here's a pic of my ride for the day. They were kind enough to let me bring it rather than my Azimut. Made it there and back in record time.

These types of events are really great for owners to get together, meet with reps from the manufacturer and have a very nice time. Look forward to next year's event and I will make sure I can go with the right boat!

Attached Files:

5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Great coverage John! I'm assuming the rendezvous gives Azimut the opportunity to gain feedback from owners. Can you elaborate on some of the topics that were discussed?

By the way... where was the name "Loose Cannons" derived from on your Cigarette?

If you don't mind, I'm going to re-size the Azimut pics to better fit other browsers/monitors. :)

Carl
  6. John B

John B Senior Member

The format is pretty informal, but I think it works well. There are several people from the manufacturer each with different roles. You generally end up chatting with each and they will ask you about the boat, what you like, any problems, are you happy with it, etc. Get to talk about new models and features and more.

Talking to a number of different of customers you obviously get a range of views. For an Italian manufacturer this must be especially helpful as I am sure the US market has some different needs/desires than that in Europe.

From a customer perspective its a great thing, since you get an opportunity to communicate directly with the manufacturer, ask questions and its a very enjoyable format anyway with different things to do - dinner, etc. Chelsea pier has all kinds of activities as well.

Definitely a smart way to win customer loyalty, both for the dealer and the manufacturer.

Name on Cigarette ties into the theme of the boat - which is basically a pirate theme. Deck has a parchment looking map of the Atlantic along one half of it, and there are numerous skull and cross bone, jolly rogers on the boat including the center of the deck. Has ghosted jolly-rogers along the side of the hull that you can only see in certain light as well. Suits my alter ego ;)
  7. psdo

psdo Senior Member

Nice Cigarette

Love the Cigarette. They have really come a long way in the last while.
    Did the TOAD shop paint it? They seem to have some of the most advanced paint that I have seen. I do a little custom paint myself and really appreciate the work that goes into their designs. It just boggles me the amount of colour and design.

I have spent some time in a 38' Top Gun when we go to St. Maarten.
  8. John B

John B Senior Member

Yes! Dean Loucks from The Art of Design (TAOD) did the paint job. It's really wild and the details are everywhere. His work is really impressive.
  9. psdo

psdo Senior Member

I figured that much. Any idea how many hours went into it?
  10. YachtForums

A paint job like Loose Cannon's should probably be measured in weeks. ;)

I'd "guestimate" it's a $30k to $35k paint job. That price covers more than materials and labor... it covers the respiratory / hospital bills later!

An old friend, Joey Earl of Kangaroo Graphics, was the man who originated the abstract graphics concept on offshore boats. His very first work of art was commissioned by Kit Denison (Broward Yachts) for an Apache. Later that same name graced the hull of a 33' PowerPlay, again sporting his signature.

Joey's work did wonders for the sales of Apaches and PowerPlays throughout the 90's, but he also did work for Cigarette, Fountain, Active Thunder and others.

Talented artists, such as TAOD and Grafik EFX have taken these concepts to higher levels and as artwork goes... they don't get the recognition they deserve. When you look at the trash hanging in most art galleries, it only goes to show who the REAL artist's are... and their canvas is a large sheet of white gelcoat!

Just my .02 cents...

Carl
  11. psdo

psdo Senior Member

I couldn't agree more,,,, I can't believe how much money that Kincade guy makes. People spend their life savings to buy that crap. When people see my art they can't understand why I'm not making millions selling my work instead of working my 9-5 like everyone else. The art world is about as difficult to understand as women!

As for the health topic that's a big reason why I don't do more painting. Even with a good respirator I still feel it after a few hours.

I can't believe that someone hasn't stepped up and painted a mega yacht.
  12. YachtForums

Whoa! Now that's an interesting idea! To the best of my knowledge, it would be a first... and long over due. It would make less costly yachts stand out in the crowd, but the Thirston Howell croud might get sea sick at the sight of it. :D

Might be an interesting exercise in vinyl graphics, as a test. Hhmmm....
  13. John B

John B Senior Member

Same thought has been running through my head.
  14. John B

John B Senior Member

That in itself is reason enough to do it!!
  15. John B

John B Senior Member

I'm not sure, but I did speak with Dean Loucks and he told me his guys work into the wee hours regularly. I'll ask next time I am in touch with them.

Pictures, really don't do it justice. Everyone that has seen it has been blown away by the paint job. I'll try and get some more detailed shots for you up here. Carl has seen them, he's welcome to post them before me - not on this PC.

Silly me, I am having them paint a dock box to match the boat.