Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Assistance in Ft Lauderdale

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by RossC, Aug 13, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RossC

RossC Member

They are building a new draw bridge beside the swing bridge, so I’d say days are numbered for the swing bridge.
  2. RossC

RossC Member

Made it to Oriental,NC and it looks like we will hang here tomorrow and let this hurricane pass. Wind and seas were nasty in the Neuse River today and supposed to be worse tomorrow. Saturday looks good. There were short interval 5-6 footers today with 30kt winds. We took a couple over the vow and into the fly bridge.

We are at Whittaker Point Marina. Real nice place with a wine and cheese sailing yacht vibe. Staff is awesome. They have a courtesy car, real nice bathrooms and a nice lounge. The Piggly Wiggly nearby had a shuttle that runs to all of the marinas. See pic.

Also found a GFCI in the master head tripped when we got back from dinner. Did some continuity testing on the circuit downstream from the GFCI and didn’t find anything wrong, so I took the GFCI out of the loop and everything is functioning normally. I suspect a bad GFCI so will pick up a new one tomorrow.

IMG_2126.jpeg
  3. RossC

RossC Member

Made it to Bellhaven. New day new problem. I usually fuel in the morning on the way out. Today I fueled coming in, left the boat for an hour or so and came back to diesel smell in the boat. I look down below and see diesel in the bilge. It appear to be leaking from the vent or fill at the tank. Never noticed it because we took off right away and burned the fuel out of the fill and vent hose. Short term so.union is to not top off. Local mechanic coming by tomorrow to see it he can fix it fairly easily. Access is the problem.

GFCI turned out to be the outlet, so that was an easy fix.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Many times you will see fuel spills when filling up the tank:
    From the inspection plate gasket, from the fuel level sensor gasket or from the
    Fuel filler hose/flange on top of the tank.
    Moral of the story: Never fill the tank all the way up: The fuel will warm up and expand, then leak into the bilge from the nearest available micro opening.
    (How do I know?)
    Been there, done that.:oops:
  5. RossC

RossC Member

Yep, I figure I can have the crew (wife) watch the smart craft while fueling. It displays 162 gallons per side full. If we fill to 150 we should be good. Stbd side isn’t a problem, so I would like to figure out where the port side is leaking from.

We are at River Forest Marina. They have golf carts go get around town. Went to Spoon River restaurant for dinner an got a little sideways on Sangrias. Marina staff is great. An 80’ Horizon pulled in beside us. Turns out the owner/captain is a cofounder of Costco. He overheard my fueling mishap and said he keeps a crew member in the engine room watching the sight glass while they fuel and leaves a few inches at the top.

A sight gauge would be helpful in my case.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Whenever i refuel, whether my personal 53 or the 116 I run, I pause at about 90% and verify the tank levels with a dipstick since they are keel tanks. On boats with tanks located higher, it s nice to have aight gauges but if you do, make sure you close the valves after taking a reading.
  7. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Learned about overfilling and expanding fuel leaking our vent hoses in my trawler I had years ago. Never filled again without watching sight gauges and second closing the valves.
    In my current boat, staff at fuel dock filled to the deck fill plate of my generator tank while I was doing something, instead of stopping at the gallons I requested. I learned about my cracked fill hose that way. Diesel in the bilge is a mess.
  8. RossC

RossC Member

Thanks guys. About all I have is total fuel used and the digital gauges from the Smartcraft. If those 2 are accurate should be able to leave a few inches at the top. No way to stick them and no sight glass. The digital gauges show 162 full so 150 should leave some room, if they are accurate. Going to watch them as we burn fuel and see how they react.
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We seldom find it necessary (or even useful) to completely fill our tanks. And that'd just be extra weight to carry around...

So we mostly take on fuel when the gauges say 1/4-ish full, add enough so the gauges say 3/4-ish full, easy, no worries about overfilling.

-Chris
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Partially filled diesel tanks is a great recipe for condensation and algae.
  11. RossC

RossC Member

This sounds like a good plan.
  12. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

10 minutes after leaving the fuel dock they become partially filled. :cool:
    Zud likes this.
  13. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yes, but as usual in many endeavors there can be trade-offs. Fuel-water separators can help mitigate. Additives can help mitigate. Slight improvements in fuel consumption (from moving less weight) may help mitigate.

Et cetera.

-Chris
  14. RossC

RossC Member

Bellhaven to Coinjock today. Prime rib was the best I’ve ever had. Met up with some friends we met in Fort Pierce taking their trawler to VA. Tomorrows plan os a short run to Norfolk. One more night in a marina then we are home.
    gr8trn and chesapeake46 like this.
  15. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Ross
    Thank you for taking us along with your adventures from boat shopping, to purchasing and finally closing the deal after survey and sea trial. And then having to deal with the gremlins that somehow climb aboard your boat after closing and causing their mischief as you try to deliver your boat home. ( it took me a couple of years to get rid of mine and I’m not sure they are all gone yet ). It seems like
    “The Never Ending Story”, but it has been quite educational in the process.
    Travel safe on the final leg of your trip.
    gr8trn likes this.
  16. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

That's what I was thinking. Condensation will happen, no way to keep topped off fuel tanks. Granted, not a bad idea if she is going to sit to have the tank more full than empty probably.
  17. RossC

RossC Member

It’s been an adventure, but we’re ready for a few days on land. Hoping the Chesapeake Bay doesn’t beat is up too bad tomorrow. We stopped here in Norfolk so we could hit the bay early. We came across the Albemarle Sound yesterday in 30kt winds and it beat us us pretty bad. 4-5 footers. This a good near coastal (pick your days), bay, ICW boat.

I have a pretty good list of things to fix over the winter. Engines have run great and no other mechanical issues, just issues due to aging systems. I don’t think I would buy a boat so far from home again. I guess the plus side is that I’ve found just about everything wrong with the boat.

The advice from the guys on the forum here has really helped and made trip much less stressful. I can’t thank you guys enough.
  18. RossC

RossC Member

That’s why I never noticed it. I would fuel just before heading out and burned it down before it had a chance to create a noticeable leak. I can still fill up, just not to the point that fuel is backing up into the fill hose.
    gr8trn likes this.
  19. RossC

RossC Member

Home sweet home….Nice calm run up the Chesapeake today.

IMG_2130.jpeg
    SeaLion, gr8trn and chesapeake46 like this.
  20. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Congratulations Ross