Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Assistance in Ft Lauderdale

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by RossC, Aug 13, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

When running the rock pile I call on 13 for any commercial vessels as I didn’t want to meet one in the rock pile. I don’t think there is enough room to pass without hitting one of those rocks.
  2. RossC

RossC Member

How do you clean the South Bay strainers? Do you have to dive on the boat?

On a different note, we stopped at Southport and made a short day of it. We would have ended up in Snows Cut at low tide. Decided to make it a short day, head out first thing and hit Snows near high tide in the morning.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Good decision. I would always adjust my schedule depending on tides.

Down here we have a diver who cleans the hull and running gear every month so he gives them a scub at the same time
  4. RossC

RossC Member

I have to ask, why the ICW on a 70 footer and not outside? I so want to run outside, but unstabilized and taking seas broadside just kicks our butt.
  5. RossC

RossC Member

Probably won’t need cleaning that often up in MD. Most boats seem to go the season without cleaning and just pressure wash at winter haul out. So what is the benefit of the South Bay strainers? Almost seems like the bilge strainers are easier to deal with, but you aren’t the first one to recommend the South Bay strainers.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Maybe better for you up there. Down here in Miami they re pretty much maintenance free. If a plastic bag gets sucked against it for instance it will float away when the system cycles on and off.

about running the ditch, that specific boat was top heavy and not stabilized… also, many inlets require you to go way out before turning in and out so you re doing many extra miles. We also had plenty of time in the scheduled
  7. RossC

RossC Member

I guess that’s why you get the big bucks. I don’t have much desire to do the ICW again. If I do, I will have a proper air conditioned pilot house.
  8. RossC

RossC Member

So when you go to the South Bay strainers, you get rid of the internal strainers? I heard that this is how Ocean Yachts are set up.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

10. RossC

RossC Member

The mains already have a sort of external strainer. More to keep big stuff out. Grid opening just big enough to get a screw driver on to knock out any growth. External with no internal on the AC and genny might make life easier.

Do they make boats in FL without AC?
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yes they do, or they did..
    My favorite boat was built in Tampa, my old CSY 33 sailboat.
    No AC, but lots of ventilation and superior live aboard qualities.
    I would still be on that tub, but wifey said no.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Lol. I ve always done it with an air conditioned skylounge !
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

When I repowered my 53 5 years ago I eliminated the mains and air con strainers and only have the South Bay strainers.

working great

I kept the internal strainer for the gen because it only runs under way or on the hook and you can not had be a wedge shape scoop for the gen or you will drown it under way

last year I added externals on the 116 for the AC and water maker. It s been working great. The only thing is that I keep the internal sea strainers and the air con still needs to be cleaned every few months as atuff grows inside
  14. tusindtak

tusindtak Member

Aquamaps AICW tracks by Bob423 are available at http://bobicw.blogspot.com/p/bob423-long-tracks.html. Instructions for downloading and using are at http://bobicw.blogspot.com/p/how-to-download-tracks_28.html. Video on YouTube is also available. Great resource that is updated twice per year by Robert’s volunteer efforts. I use an iPad with GPS (cellular model) but do not use cell plan. Run side by side with Raymarine Navionics.
    I recommend not traveling the AICW without it. Especially from Jacksonville to Norfolk. Great peace of mind. Plan to cross shallow areas at favorable tides is needed in several spots for 5 feet.. Sometimes the USACE surveys are updated to within weeks. And thank you Robert for your contributions.
    Fjol70 and motoryachtlover like this.
  15. RossC

RossC Member

Made it to Swansboro today. There was a 72 footer with 6.5’ draft parked in front of us last night. He did Swansboro to Southport yesterday. He said he found the bottom a few times going through at low tide. I made Swans Cut at right around high tide. The other tricky part was around the Camp Lejume range.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Has the bridge been fixed or rebuilt at Camp Lejeune? It used to break down all the time. One time on the way south in October, I had to wait about 3 hours in a very long line of boats. Massive traffic jam
  17. RossC

RossC Member

The Onslow swing bridge? It is opening on the hour and half hour. Only had to wait a few minutes. Not much boat traffic out here at all other than small local boats.
  18. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I Installed a few auto pilots and transducers on CSY's in the late 70's as a tech for Electronics for Yachting in Ft. Laud. & remember the CSY sailboats as absolute tanks! Solid GRP hulls and thick, A couple years later working as a yacht engineer, I would listen to the Moorings charter fleet Mgr. out of St. Thomas talking about never rushing out to retrieve one of their CSY bareboat's up on a reef as they knew it was good for a couple of days before real damage occurred. The 44 center cockpit was a very nice boat in its day, and I remember them well.
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, great boats, heavy but also seaworthy, I drilled out a hole for a new bilge pump discharge line, 1 3/8” hull thickness Above the water line..
    Lots of good Bahamas and Keys cruising on that boat, all with no Air Condition.:cool: IMG_0537.jpeg
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yep… Onslow. Maybe they replaced it or rebuilt it since the last time I went thru. September is too early but come October, southbound traffic gets busy