Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

Armed & dangerous? Weapons on board!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Nov 23, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I'm sure this has been discussed before with many pros & cons. What are your feelings about guns on board? If someone entered your vessel in the middle of the night while your wife & kids were asleep, would you be prepared to take action? Does the law see an intruder on a vessel the same as an intruder in your home? I have had a marine grade shotgun and a 30/30 on board while in the Bahamas. They didn't seem to mind because I declared them. Would I have the same experience in Miami, Charleston or Newport Harbor?

Dave
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Glad you warned my about your corrective measure devices. You can be sure I won't disagree with your seamanship skills! ;)

I'm not sure if this qualifies, but our arsenal includes a surgical-tube water balloon launcher... and I'm not afraid to use it! :D
  3. TRY

TRY Senior Member

They all have!

Most of the large and world-cruising yachts have weapons on board. They have a special weapons cabinet for these, which can be sealed by customs or immigration or police authorities when entering a port.
    Same goes for the liquor cabinet!

In some cases and according to the status of the owners the onboard arsenal can be quite impressive.
    I have seen, and I mean seen, anti-aircraft shoulder weaponry on one occasion!!

Whether the subject is touchy or not, legal or illegal, a lot of the stuff is carried by many.