Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Walker

Another Shaft Zinc Thread

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by DOCKMASTER, Mar 10, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I’m debating if I should keep putting zincs on my shafts or not. At some point, we ended up putting two zincs per shaft. I think this was because a single zinc was nearly gone after a year. But since then the bonding system has all been gone through and now like new. Additionally, we now have good shaft brushes on each shaft. At this last haul out I would say the shaft zincs were less than 20% wasted. I’m debating if I should go back with two zincs per shaft, one or none. Shafts are 2.75”. The boat has two transom zincs that the bonding system is tied to. Input is greatly appreciated.
  2. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

Adam, we have never had zincs on our shafts or rudders. We use b24 transom zincs that or only half used when we hull out after a year. Inspecting and maintaining the bonding system and having galvanic isolators on each power cord is all we do. I do have trim tab zincs but they are hardly used in the course of a year and are used more for a gauge.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks Lew. Great info, much appreciated. Do you have brushes on your shafts? I do have galvanic isolators.

I went back and looked at the photos from the haul-out survey when I bought the boat back in 2012. There are two zincs on each shaft but there were no shaft brushes back then.
  4. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

Yes, I do. That is how it came from Roscioli.