Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Anchor Windlass Replacment

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Austin Moran, Jun 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Austin Moran

Austin Moran New Member

I went out on a sea trial on a beautiful 1987 Hatteras 54' CPMY yesterday. She performed beautifully and really feels like the right boat for us. There were several fairly minor issues, but I discovered that the original anchor windlass was completely shot (the owner told me that they never anchor since they only overnight in marinas). There is about 400' of 3/8" (or it might be 1/4") galvanized chain in the chain locker that appears to be serviceable. Incidentally, my two anchors are a 75 Lb. Claw and a Fortress FX-55

Here are my questions:
    1. What is a reasonable anchor windlass to replace the current one? The surveyor suggested that new windlasses are not as large and are much more efficient and estimated a cost of around $2,000 to purchase a new one. However, when I look online at prices, they appear to be in the $5,000 to $6,000 range. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Is the anchor chain sufficient for a vessel of this size and weight?
    Thanks in advance for your insight.

Best regards,
    Austin
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

To enable an accurate answer to No 2 it would help if you knew the actual size of the chain you have.
  3. Austin Moran

Austin Moran New Member

I think it is 3/8"
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

3/8" anchor chain is sufficient for a vessel of this size and weight.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

You can buy one for $2,000 but I wouldn't go that route if you're planning to drop the hook often. You don't have to spend $6,000 either. You should be able to find a suitable Maxwell, Lofrans or similar DC windlass for around $3,500 plus the cost of installation. If you're going to spend $5,000 Lighthouse makes a great unit.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember previous threads by some regulars here on what NOT to purchase. Please do some searches and find these post. Hopefully you may find some post with positive comments to help your shopping.
    ,rc
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ideal is still in business and you can have yours rebuilt. Otherwise replace it with a quality replacement.