Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Alternatives to Teak Deck Oils

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jul 2, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I actually have not had the occasion to have to have teak decks, and their upkeep, in a long time. So I am unaware of their maintenance issues/materials in this modern day.

But I was thinking back to a significant number of years ago when an old captain on a nice Trumpy classic motoryacht told me of his method of upkeep. I can only remember he telling me that he did NOT utilize those expensive oils that were sold thru the marine stores,...but rather he utilized some 'blend' of automotive oils. I think one of them was some sort of transmission fluid?

Any old captains out there with some knowledge of such??
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Best is to avoid anything, just keep it clean, which is also easier without all bogus treatments...
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

+1 on that.
    My great uncle used to mix teak oil and varnish, and only had to do his decks once per year. But I still think bare teak is the best. I've even started to see more yachts leaving their cap rails bare as well.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I keep the decks bare as well.....Have NEVER oiled them.....Have used the Cetol Marine on some boats and Semco.....starbrite tropical teal sealer......but rarely.....only if the deck is really thin.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

Agree with above. No oil. I like teak decks clean bright and natural. No brushes either. Only scrub pads like 3M Doodlebug.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Keep it natural. It doesn't get as hot.

After a while whatever you use start looking like crap. I've seen a few boats here where owners put some oil other other miracle finish which they eventually removed.

Now on trim, rails, etc... It's a different story.
  7. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Never use teak oils on teak decking, you will damage them for good. Salt water and a scrubbing pad is all you need.
  8. brian eiland

teak deck, ps.jpg

9. brian eiland

But don't they turn grey over time??
  10. brian eiland

11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen the Semco stuff look like that picture and last a long time on a shaded aft deck. It did not turn grey at all, but did eventually wear off after a year or longer.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We use only the cleaners from the manufacturer of our teak decks, Teakdecking Systems, using their liquid and powder cleaners. They do maintain and restore color without harming the teak. They're effective in removing any oils or stains such as suntan lotions. Here are video's of their use http://www.teakdecking.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=108

and here is the link to the products. http://www.teakdecking.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=129

Now, if you have badly damaged teak that has had other products used or not been maintained, I can't speak to their effectiveness, but I can to their effectiveness for us. We did actually use them on a fairly neglected wooden dock and had better results than we expected although clearly not what they were designed for. We just had it handy and had just purchased the dock and so tried.
  13. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Correct, natural teak turns silver/grey over time and I believe it should remain that way. It's the natural look.
  14. olderboater

Using the cleaner I indicated, they maintain their original color.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not really. They maintain the golden color you're used to. Virgin teak is actually much darker and almost a walnut color in it's origional form.
  16. olderboater

Original, as in the color they were when delivered new. No, not the color when on the tree or prior to manufacture. But not the faded out grey either.

Just seems simple to me to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  17. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

18. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I had no idea what my crew uses, in order to keep the teak deck as perfect as it is. I had to call the engineer. That's what he said:

"We use Boracol, a thin like water and uncolored liquid against mildew applied on a slightly sprayed deck. Applied correctly and not washed away on the same or next day by heavy rain or waves comming over the bow, it will last for some time. Teak oil is good but the results are seldom beautiful. But professionally applied and by using a high quality brand, we use Teaksealer from Hempel, the deck will look perfect like ours. But we are only oiling the deck, when we know, that you are not comming for at least the next 10 days (due to smell and uneven color during the work in period)." Sounds pretty proud :) but he is right. The boat is in its fourth season now and the teak deck looks perfect and almost as new.

And he added, thanks for not choosing varnished teak on the outside. Which is not correct, the flag pole is made of high gloss teak :D.
  19. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I use SEMCO too, it holds great in our 'sunny and salty' environment, and I love the natural looks!

The teak on my boat was neglected for many years, but I removed the remaining varnish, and put some effort in cleaning and re-calking. We sit on it (drinking beer and BBQing) almost every weekend, and after the first 4-5 layers, I only put on a single layer every six month, it's an easy job with a simple brush and some paper (for simple cleaning the residue)...

Teak.jpg
  20. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I bought the TDS materials. Will give it a try.

Thanks....