Click for MotorCheck Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Walker

Air replacement.

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Rover1, Jul 21, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Then perhaps you can go to Ocean Breeze's website that I posted the link to in my last posting and study up what those darn things are called and the correct terminology. They show a dual chiller system, a chilled water sytem (single chiller), and etc. Nowhere in their entire section on sea water cooled chillers is the wording dual stage or triple staged chillers used, that typically refers to chillers like those H&H compressors where there is one compressor and multiple heads.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

While you continue to demonstrate an amazing ability to copy and past stuff that you claim as your own knowledge I doubt you could tell anyone you met face to face why they use the multi cylinder compressors ( semi open)instead of the tin can ( Hermetically sealed) ones you are so familiar with. To reply to your earlier statement We have a completely separate pair of multi piston compressors to deal with our domestic refrigeration plant main rooms. We are not using Propane which is a very flammable hydrocarbon in our AC system which runs with Freon but does not have any pistons in the compressors at all.
  3. Eroc

Eroc Member

Has this really turned into a who knows more match?
  4. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Call it what you like, it's entertaining and informative; everything a good forum should be.:)
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

None of the information I posted was googled. I googled a third party site to re-inforce what I wrote, from Captholli's own air conditioning company after I saw their name on the chiller he posted a picture of. I know quite a bit about marine a/c and have experienced it all on the smaller yachts. I've managed dozens and dozens of chiller boats, and currently manage one right now. Contrary to what opinion you may have, on the smaller boats I know a considerable amount on all systems.

I just flew to and from Jacksonville today (from Fort Laud) for a customer to fix why his 65' yacht where neither engine would start and ring power had been out to the boat twice and was there today with the computer and I discovered and fixed why it wouldn't start. The customer tipped me 45% over my bill. Halon shut down box ended up being the culprit and I ended up cutting the shut down wires going to the CAT system, since the bottle was low and shut down wires already bypassed at the bottle, and haloncannot be refilled anymore and the boat is a repo he bought and is blowing out as is. So someone would have to convert to sea fire or another one anyways going foward.

I couldn't tell anyone why you use multi cylinder compressors over hermetically sealed ones as it's outside of my knowledge base and not what I deal with, and not relevant to this thread anyways and not something I would ever post about. Can you tell me which mega yacht threads I have ever posted in??? If I had to take a wild guess it would have to do with efficiency and that the multi cylinders are more efficient but not as compact as hermetically sealed ones. But again, that's just a wild guess.

I've seen you post several items that were wrong when advising a guy with a small yacht over the years. But I love how people come into a thread about a 46' Post and 53' Hatteras MY and start posting advice geared for a vessel >50 meters and wrong advice on top of it all.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Are they multi piston so that each reefer is alienated and if one has a freon leak, you don't lose freon to all of them or the entire system?
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

No, On the bigger systems they are used to balance the loads better, the one I am on now uses screw compressors for the AC
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Thank you for the knowledge.
  9. Rover1

Rover1 Member

Well, The old cruiser air unit has gone to the that dumpster in the sky! had it pumped again with gas and this time a piston went in there or the whole thing just fell apart on its self cause it literally exploded!. interesting enough. I replaced the unit and put in a self contained into it vs the split unit it originally came with. So rather then have it in the engine room its now in a cabinet behind my TV. just had to run a hose down from the new unit into the hole that was already there for the tubes for my master state room unit. Now with a fresh 16,000BTU unit, the boat is once again nice and cool! came at a perfect time cause its going to be very hot and humid here in NJ for the next week or so. Now I just need to figure out were the heck to get a hatch from for my forward deck to replace the stepped on cracked and taped one! think I may have more luck finding hens teeth.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If I remember correctly, the Post hatches were all fiberglass? Find someone that does fiberglass and have them fix it.
  11. Rover1

Rover1 Member

yeah I am down to that now. they just aren't out there anymore.
  12. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Try Craigslist!
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Perhaps contact a hatch company such as Bomar, they will make hatches in all different sizes.