Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Perko

Advice on buying an older Ocean

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by SMR-PILOT, May 31, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Which is why headliners never sag...O.K. you win.
  2. docjr03

docjr03 New Member

thanks for replying SMR Pilot. Cutting them out sounds like a huge pain for the guy who has to get in there and do it. Also, has the yard tested this new design?
  3. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

Thanks. The color has not been an issue at all (other than when it`s dirty it is more noticeable of course). Actually, the boat stands out from other similar boats that are all white. I get a lot of compliments for it actually. The ac`s have been working fine, no issues there either. About the generator, you and Capt J are right, for a boat this size, 15KW is too little. However, and like I`ve said before, I only do light cruising, I don`t fish, I don`t spend nights on the boat, I never have the need to turn all the AC`s on at the same time. I only use the bridge AC for about an hour at a time, 2 or 3 times a month, together with the main salon AC which is the one that I do use all the time. I carry a portable gen for battery charging in case the generator goes down. About ocean boats:
    1. For a boat this size, this comfortable, I would never have found anything similar for so cheap.
    2. She cruises at 23-24 knots and gets on a plane much quicker than my 54 sea ray.
    3. Her lines are very nice compared to other boats from the same year. There`s a `96 betram right next to my boat and looks 6 years older.
    4. With head seas she rides very well. Not so well with following seas, but it is manageable.
    Conclusion: best bang for the buck.
  4. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

you are right. But I think it is less of a pain than cutting out decks and removing engines. About the design, actually, it would be very similar to the actual configuration which is 2 tanks next to each other, now it would be 3 smaller tanks instead of 2, so I don`t think it would be a problem.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't even entertain doing this. You're then going to have 6 connections that are going to be a source of leaks, securing them properly is another issue and it's just going to be a mess in the long run. I'd cut the hull side and install ones equivalent to what you have long before I'd do this.
  6. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

I wouldn`t feel very good about messing with the hull framing, specially considering that Ocean`s hulls are not the strongest anyways. But what you say about the connections makes sense. The actual setup is 2 insterconnected saddle tanks on each side. I might just try and fit it 2 smaller tanks instead of 3. I don`t mind reducing the capacity from 1400 gal to 800 or so. I never have a need for so much fuel.
  7. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I operated a boat that had the side tanks replaced with three smaller tanks and was concerned about the two connections at the bottom but never had a problem. What I did note that filling the tanks were a vary lengthy process and apt to overflow before all three tanks where filled due to the slow leveling of the filling tank to other two. Just a comment provided for your consideration.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If done correctly it should be just as strong if not stronger than origional.
  9. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

good to know. Thanks for the input.