Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Adventures in boat shopping

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by RossC, Jun 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RossC

RossC Member

So I think the plan will be fix the master head and replace the tank filter and see where that gets me. The VG's are working and both systems are holding vacuum fine. If it gets much more involved than this, I will upgrade. Looking at prices, I agree. The Elegance is around $1000.

My problem is that I love to upgrade things. This cost me a fortune when we had an airplane. Costs of things on the boat are a fraction of what they were on the plane.
  2. RossC

RossC Member

I need to start working on boats as a side hustle.
  3. RossC

RossC Member

Has anyone used an ozone generator to neutralize odors. They are around $100 on Amazon. Is it snake oil or worth $100 to give a try. I think a lot of the odor is just from being closed up in Florida. Bilge looks really clean and I don't get knocked to my knees when I stick my nose down there.

Closing is under way. Hopefully we'll be on our way back to MD with the boat in 2 weeks...or less.
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Our layout uses a Y combiner. Each toilet hose runs to it's own vacuum generator, output from both vac-gens goes to a single hose (via that Y) to the holding tank.

I suspect total distance (especially if there's any "uphill" involved along the way) might be a thing with an electric head, but that only means it's something I'd check before making any subsequent decisions. Distance from our guest head to it's vac-gen is maybe about 20' and then it's another 20' from vac-gens to holding tank. I've wondered if a 40' run from that guest head to the holding tank would work or not... but so far I'm not actively pursuing the option.

-Chris
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yeah, she is. But I compared Saniflex the other hose she sometimes recommends (Trident 101/102) and Saniflex was way Way WAY! more flexible, much easier to work with for the bends we needed to make. I didn't find the cost all that much of a deal, although part of that was also because it was a relatively short (albeit bendy) run from head to tank, and ditto from tank to our overboard pump.

I didn't do the hose replacement on this boat myself, whatever was original (maybe Odorsafe) to Odorsafe, so don't know about working with that. The guys seemed to do OK with it, made it sound like more of an access issue than a "bending" issue.

-Chris
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I use one with great results, there are precautions with it though, you can't be on the boat when it's running. I set the units timer for 2 hours then leave for the day/night. I open hatches after for some fresh air.
    There are people who say it eats rubber, that is probably so but I suspect you'd have to run it weekly or daily for that to occur.
    I typically run a couple of times a season as I have some spilled engine oil (from a few years back) that cannot be accessed without cutting up the floor, it's dried up (kinda I assume) so this kills the odour for a couple of months, then it slowly creeps back.

Which brings up another point, the ozone generator will not remove the root cause, so it will return unless you eliminate it. Such as my case.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

it s about 40’ from the master head to the forward holding tank on my 53, no problem with the Elegance
  8. RossC

RossC Member

Marina neighbor just gutted the system on his boat and installed 2 composting toilets. Don't know how I feel about that. Might be a little too close to pooping in a bucket for me.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Let me guess…. Sailboat ? :)
  10. RossC

RossC Member

From what I was able to conjure up on the web, the rubber eating issue is only really a problem if you run a way oversized unit for way too long. Kind of like shocking a swimming pool. Saturate the area with ozone for too long. A few hours then air out seems to work pretty well with no il side effects.
  11. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Good to know, and that's the electric toilet I would likely select if I were to make a change.,.. so doubly useful.

Cheers, -Chris
  12. RossC

RossC Member

No, aft cabin MY. Looks like an old Californian or similar. It's an old boat with serious sewage issues. I guess he thought this was the easy way out.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Even worse, A floating derelict shell that was a power boat once.

But wait, it could be worse. I have been on a barge with an incinerating toilet.
    I could not get out/off fast enough.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
    chesapeake46, LM Viking and UncleDon like this.
  14. RossC

RossC Member

I get the concept, but after watching a few videos I don't think I could deal with it in real life. Looks like you have to take the entire toilet outside to clean it out. We'll see how he feels about them in a month or so. They aren't exactly cheap. $1000 each. I would have put the money into a proper marine system. You can get an entry level macerating toilet for $500.
  15. RossC

RossC Member

So prior to even making offers on these Sea Rays I did an online insurance quote with United Marine Underwriters. Quote came back no problems. I called to confirm that the quote was good, they said I just needed to go to the website and bind coverage with a CC number. So I did that and emailed the survey. About 3 hours later I get and this in an email...

Thank you for the opportunity to provide an insurance quotation. Due to the performance of the vessel, we do not have a market and will be unable to provide you with a quotation. Sorry we could not be of assistance.

Also tried doing an online quote with progressive and they shut me down because the zip there the boat is kept is not the same as my home address. I called my local agent who does the rest of our insurance and they ran it through progressive. The response she got was that (1) they would not cover the hull for survey fair market value or purchase price, which is less that fair market value and (2) They said MD/DE was a high risk area for hurricanes. They are going to run it past 3 other companies on Monday.

Boat US/Geico did an online quote and option to bind coverage with payment, but no idea if they will find a way to shut me down also. I can get liability no problem. Hull coverage is the problem. Hope I don't have to self insure the hull.

I think the problem is that I'm dealing with bean counters who have never seen a boat. Is there a marine specific company that actually knows what a boat is? I mean, local agent asked me if I wanted coverage for the trailer also.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  16. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Well you better get " trailer coverage" on a boat that big !! Better up your towing insurance too !! LOL.
  17. RossC

RossC Member

I think I'm gonna need a bigger truck....
  18. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Contact these guys.
    They're very good and specialize in
    Marine policies.

Jon Horton at Jack Martin & Associates
    111 Forbes St, Annapolis, MD 21401, United States
  19. RossC

RossC Member

Cool. Kimd of local also. Thanks for the tip.
  20. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

PM sent.