Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

AC Unit shut off suddenly, won't turn back on

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jackie S., Feb 22, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jackie S.

Jackie S. New Member

1988 Carver 3297

AC unit completely shut off in the middle of the night. Checked the analog panel and the orange light was still on however no heat/fan running. Turned the unit completely off (two counterclockwise clicks) and reset the breaker. Tried to start it again, still nothing.

From the Off position, when I turn the knob one click clockwise, the orange light comes on but no fan, no pump, nothing comes on. After rotating one more time clockwise for the heat/ac, still nothing but the orange light stays on. A few months ago I noticed the water pump was running warm but it fixed itself. Its an older Marine Air system, I assume the original one from the factory.

I'm thinking its the pump but could a lack of water flow to the unit cause this? Any help greatly appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The ole 3 knob controller were usually reliable. What is around them usually sux.
    The slip-on/spade connectors (wire crimps) on the back, have a bad habit of coming loose and/or burning up.
    Breaker off, remove the panel's 4 lil screws from the wall.
    Carefully and slowly pull the panel from the wall. Watching for loose wires and to keep wires from pulling off of the spade connects.
    Make drawings or take pictures before removing any wires yourself. Putting them back on can be confusing.
    Jackie S. likes this.
  3. butch w

butch w Member

Is the strainer basket clean? Good water flow? How did the pump fix itself?
  4. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Yes, a lack of water flow will cause this. A bad run capacitor among other things will also cause it, but I would verify water flow before I looked deeper.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A water flow issue will not prevent the fan from running or the pump from running either.

it’s been 20 years since I be had to deal with the old 3 knobs…. Three position: off Fan and Cool. If you don’t get the fan to run in position 2 then either the switch is bad or you re not getting power

now if the fan runs but the compressor doesn’t kick in when switch to cool, then it’s something else. Some system have manual resetable high and low pressure switch on the compressors.

upgrading to digital controls isn’t expensive and a great upgrade
  6. Jackie S.

Jackie S. New Member

Thank you everyone, I took the panel off and a corroded wire had broken free from the clamp. Put a new clamp on there and its working again!
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Clamp or crimp?
  8. Jackie S.

Jackie S. New Member

Crimp
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, That has been a first to look at place for our customers when all is dead.
    Glad you got it fixed.

I'm guessing you have a remote pump controller (2 or more ACs using one pump).
    In this case, restrictions may cause it to get a lil more warm than usual. Keep an eye on this,
    Unless it was some trash on the outside of the hull that has blown away, these issues rarely clear by them selves.