Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Westport

Abramovich to build world's Largest Yacht?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Aug 28, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Agreed, and not...

Of course you can make strange shapes, but this will hardly justify the size, or the other way around. Look at this Explorer Yacht as an example. She is 90 m, could be 110 as well, but up to 170 meter would make her a really large boat. I guess that the volume of a 170 m compared to this 90 m is tripled! You will have problems getting daylight to the center of the floors, this is why the Rising Sun has these huge windows and a rather slim beam for a 138 m yacht of just 18 m.

I can not really find a rational for such big yachts, eventhough I wouldn´t say no thanks if asked to make the design... :)

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Eye in the Sky!

Very nice Lars! :cool:
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Good food for thought Lars :) . The only rational I can see is if the yacht is going to be your primary residence. Thus becomes a floating mansion.

As for lighting the interior, I believe electricity can handle that? :p

Kelly
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

If the vessel is indeed to be another of the Abramovich fleet he needs the space. How else could he celebrate with the whole team when they win. Chelsea has at least 30 players/key people. :)

Daylight to the interior is important. Just doesn't feel right otherwise. :)
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Whoever it is that has ordered this Gigayacht must have a giga-tender as well, since there are almost no ports with access for 170 meter yachts.

To still make a dramatic entrance, why not arrive in this 32 m Golden Bullet? :cool:

Attached Files:

6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

A 170m giga needs a tender large enough to have it's own tender, or 2. I keep getting visions of those little Russian dolls, each time you open one up, another smaller pops out. :D
  7. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

yes your right I do find most retro fits of exploration yachts from merchant ships to look industrial, a fresh coat of paint and a teak deck or whatever little changes are made for luxury still isn't enough to attract me.

Le Grand Bleu while a amazing yacht for the toys she brings along still is a eyesore in my opinion in a upscale marina next to the more elegant megayachts like fedships, Amels, Lurrsen's etc.. No wonder those in Monoco were up in arms over that parked and blocking thier view, those people didn't buy waterfront property to be looking at what pretty much is a cargo ship in looks and design layout.

Now Lar's expedition yacht is stunning! What would that look scaled down to 50m and say a location for holding the sub I so desire, the Triton 650.

Seems like a helicopter is almost a requirement on expedition style yachts but isn't it a great cost for fuel storage and regulations for keeping one on board full time? what about just a landing in/out type pad for using a helicopter on a per need rental basis? What is the costs of most common 3/4 person helicopters and do many captains cross license as pilots? Just trying to figure out all that is required and if worth it to buy one verses renting as needed.

Still looking into it all, will be going to the Ft. Lauderdale show again and hopefully taking a trek out to Turkey to look at a few choice yachts there yet. Health has been the most delaying issue at this point in time though, A yacht though isnt something that I will need to rush into and hope to learn as much as I possibly can to choose it right and or build either from scratch with working with a designer ( Lars, you would be my first choice on the designs I have seen of yours keep them coming! btw do you have a website with all your designs I can check out?) or picking up one on the line and adding in what I as far as interiors and needs to hold a submarine.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Nice to hear that you like my designs! My website is a one-page and maybe I´ll add more at some stage, but today I still feel that my best designs are to come. What I am showing at YachtForums is the evolution to this date...

I think you are doing right in taking it easy and plan carefully what you want out of a yacht. Cars, helicopters and even subs, are toys that can be nice to bring, but will also create a lot of headache and costs.

A helipad for pick-up can be incorporated in many ways, there are yachts where they are perfectly invisible until arranged for landing.

To carry a submarine, for safety reasons I would have both heavy diving equipment and a decompression chamber onboard, which all need competence to handle.

Make a shortlist of everything you can think of, all desires and ideas, then try to reduce it to what you can not give up, is my advice.. ;)
  9. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Not that it's any of my business, but the submarine game scares the willies out of me. I would try to find somebody who can provide this on a charter basis. Ownership could be a nightmare, and force you into one of those industrial expedition yachts :D .

rude Kelly
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Abramovich.. Ultimate spin?

Here's another speculative article. Abramovich has got to be having a seriously good chuckle. :D

http://www.yachting-mediterranean.com/news/news.aspx?id=2

"The elite Blohm+Voss ship-building facilities will construct the yacht should it be built, and as usual, there is little more known than the design specs and computer generated images. Although no details of the construction schedule have been released, if it is built, it should cost more than 250 million Euros.
    Rumours have linked Russian self-made billionaire Roman Abramovich to the yacht."
  11. techmati

techmati Senior Member

12. hufloas

hufloas New Member

"Secret" could be the grey hull (a la Crystall Ball) aka "sunflower". Look at what it seems a picture of her at:

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/okonomi/article1052659.ece

The 560 foot green hull should be the succesor of "evergreen" (as Lars said before). Two both projects are under development by Espen Oino.

Sorry for my English ;)
  13. alexio

alexio New Member

The Blohm project M-147 is not at all for M. Abramovich. This boat is for a very rich and discrett swiss man who wants to retire there... around 50-55 years old!
  14. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

any connections with swatch concern?
  15. hufloas

hufloas New Member

Well, obviously I'm wrong. "Sunflower" is a previous project for the Royal Family of Oman, but there's another grey hull project codenamed "eclipse" that could be the Espen Oeino design I mentioned first. :confused:
  16. LouLLou

LouLLou Guest

Blame the journalist

then, Mr.Mike Hanlon.
  17. alexio

alexio New Member

Nothing related to swatch! I am not able to tell more but NOBODY knows him as a rich guy, or just a few and discretion has always been his strength!!!
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Since B+V are still marketing the M-147 project, we can assume it is not at all sold or started. The only yachts they have confirmed as sold are the Sigma project that today has come under secrecy and another megayacht, also with secrecy agreements.
  19. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

In last autum I was in hospital. In the bed next to me was a director of a company which worked for Lürssen on the LE 120 project. He gave me the date when she would have left the great indoor dock for a short period. So a few weeks later I went down to the Weser with a friend of mine to see LE 120.

There was a ship, white, and from the distance of 100 m, not that big yacht I expected. I remenber that my friend and I came to the point that it would be an modern island ferry for overhaul at some other company who are located there.

The next day I saw a picture of the same ship in our local newspaper. The surprice for me, it was LE 120.

As she came back earlier this year we passed her a few times on a small Zodiac and there was the same effect as on your pictures, but not that worse I would have had expected after the telling of my hospital-mate.

Octopus on the other hand is a big monsters. If you believe in a soul of a ship or any feelings, than this giant is used in a wrong way, so that her feelings must be bad. If I would be Paul Allen my first trip would be Antartic or Kerguelen Islands, Greenland or some other place where this ship really can show what it is made for.

If someone has a need for yachts over 100 m, then hopefully not to lay them for 340 days in the harbour of Monaco or Cartagena. Then those people had to ask the yards better for a houseboat in old american style. To cruise the Med or even crossing the Atlantic and than beeing in the Cab, 30 to 40 m is a good size, 40 to 60 m when there has to be more comfort.

But at the end as some unknown buisnessman once said:
    "When entering the yachtshipyard please leave your brain at the wardrobe."

Leveller
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

A classic problem...

If you have seen Savarona, you will experience the same effect. A yacht like Haida G is much easier to appreciate. Personally I think Kalizma is large enough as a true classic.
    But maybe not to invite a whole football team onboard... ;)