Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Delta

AB Jet Tender experiences

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Tthomas, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Tthomas

Tthomas New Member

I am evaluating Jet Tenders for my Marlow, The tender will Live on the upper deck. hoisted up by crane. or on the lower swim platform at times.
    I have read a couple of reviews, but most dated a couple of years. are there any more current 22/23 experiences we can learn from? we are considering Williams and AB Jet 14.
    We have heard there are issues with running in Shallow water under 1-2 feet and sucking up debris, also handling and maneuverability at low speeds. we spend quite a bit of time in the keys and Bahamas.
    Thanks
  2. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

I own an ABJet 430 which is 14’2” LOA. I’d be happy to answer questions for you.
  3. Tthomas

Tthomas New Member

Great thanks for the response. I currently have the 15 AB Nautilus DLX with a 70 Yamaha. 4 yrs old.
    it is a nice tender with a couple of exceptions.
    1. with the 20 gal tank below helm floor and the console and the 70hp, that is a lot of weight and it is quite difficult to get it to plane with 2 people.
    2. that also makes it sit lower in the water. so problematic in shallow water.

We are interested in the AB jet 430 for 3 reasons: weight it is lighter, planing, use in more shallow water.
    So the questions are related to the use in shallow water. planing wth 2 people, and most importantly the potential for sucking up debris in the intake. And how difficult it is to clean out.
  4. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

My 2020 model has the 150 HP Rotax engine. I believe the new model has 200 HP. We are able to plane easily with 4-5 normal size adults and we can pick up a slalom skier with 3 in the boat. We’ve had 7 aboard, but the two in the aft seat get their feet wet. Not unlike the almost identical Williams version of this boat.

As far as picking up debris, the answer is no different from any similar vessel. Several times we’ve picked up seaweed or sticks. Often reversing the thrust can clear the jet pump. Once I had to go into the water to pull out a 1/2” diameter twig. Took 15 seconds. Also once, due to operator error, we sucked in some small beach stones and one got lodged between the impeller and the wear ring. I was able limp home and remove the stone, once back on the mother ship. The impeller was dinged and the wear ring badly gouged. I hired someone to replace both parts, but it is user serviceable.
  5. Tthomas

Tthomas New Member

Thank you, this is very helpful info, so next 2 questions if you don't mind. how about maneuvering? we have heard it is difficult to manage the boat a low speeds, like docking or when putting in an aft transom lift. secondly it also does not have a neutral per se'
  6. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

It’s different than maneuvering a prop boat. But you get used to it. At high speed it’s a bit squirrelly. This is where the Williams might have a slight advantage because it has fins mounted on the chines. I have never driven the Williams, so can’t be sure. With two peoples it cruises easily in the mid 20 knot range and around 35 at WOT in calm seas.

In neutral the boat still has a bit of forward momentum and also the ability to steer. So, coming up along side the big boat or a dock you can approach in neutral and still steer into position. It will also spin on a dime.

I’m not sure I’d want to drive any boat onto a transom lift. Better to have everyone out and position it with bow and stern lines from the big boat. We use a foredeck mounted crane, so everyone must be out of the dinghy first.
    Tthomas likes this.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Something must be wrong with your dinghy since a 15’ footer with 70 go should hop on plane very easily. We have a 15’ walker bay with 75 Honda and it planes nicely with 7 or 8 people on board. Granted, all aren’t big guys usually a combination of men and women but it does get on plane.

I have limited experience with jet dinghies just because I find outboard powered tenders to be more reliable, easier to maintain and having much more capacity
    Tthomas likes this.
  8. Tthomas

Tthomas New Member

Thanks for the perspective. and advice it sure helps. I am going to revisit it to be sure. The 15 ft tender will plane eventually but with 2 adults the 70 hp, 20 gal of fuel. and the weight of the console (likely around 600+ lbs) the bow takes a long time to come down. I added a whale tail which helps a little but still has to be pretty much full throttle to get bow down.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Our walker bay generation 450 with 75 is downright scary with only one or two on board. Too much power and the bow shoots high, I usually keep it at 3200/3400 rpm when getting on plane if alone.

as I said, it gets on plane easily with 6, 7, 8 adults on board. We often pull a 3 person tube with 3 adults on board.