Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

a ultimate MotorSailer idea, Dynarig motorsailer

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by brian eiland, Mar 26, 2023.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

ZacSc likes this.
  2. brian eiland

For the pure enjoyment of sailing I think there is nothing better than tiller steering, and that is even more difficult to experience as the boat size increases. I found as I got older that the smaller vessels with tiller steering were the more pleasureful. And to rig the boat where the forces of the rig allowed for a natural enough balance that would allow for that was challenging itself.
  3. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

In this case the design was aimed at maximizing interior space with large windows and a slightly larger superstructure.
    Attached is one of my old large catamaran concepts but with a different aim, and rigging. ;)

55m Cat Wing Sail 240226.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    ZacSc likes this.
  4. ZacSc

ZacSc New Member

Not everyone is like that. For example, my wife :) I take my wife out to sea sometimes. She doesn't enjoy steering the boat. But she enjoys being at sea. Maybe it's for the best, I'm less worried about steering the boat wrong.
  5. ZacSc

ZacSc New Member

It looks very modern! I don't understand why it's an old concept.
  6. brian eiland

Anti-Capsize

It appears that HTMO9 is very concerned about the subject of capsize,...as have many multihull sailors since multihulls became increasing popular. I have been away from direct involvement with multihull design for a number of years now, so I am unaware of developments in anti-capsize hardware that likely has been in the works for a number of those years, particularly considering the large number of big foiling multihulls that have been racing the oceans. Surely these guys pushing these boats right at the 'edge' have developed some systems?....particularly the French sailors that seem so involved?

So I thought I would see what google had to offer, and this came up most immediately.

Anti-Capsize Technology and Systems
    The purpose of this thread is to post systems available, discussions of the technology and reviews. This is a serious subject. Please back up statements with facts. Some systems monitor rigging structural condition as well so while most of these discussions might concern catamarans, owners of monohulls could be interested.

This one really caught my attention as it was somewhat like a rotating cleat system I employed long ago on the kick-up centerboards on the Lousiane 37 cat I imported, and our Firefly trimaran's centerboard.
    ACS system
    https://www.boatnews.com/story/29460/acs-an-anti-slip-system-for-multihulls
    "Even today, multihull skippers still admit that they cannot do without it. At the start of this 2018 Route du Rhum, there are 9 boats equipped with ACS: both Ultimate and Multi50 (where this type of system is even made mandatory by the class). But ACS is also present on some boats entered in the RhumMulti category"

This posting I started to agree with, BUT when I reread it a second time, I had problems with it.
    "If you do get caught out, the least stress solution is to depower the boat completely, stop and quietly drift. Unfortunately, this is impossible with stayed rig multis. Dumped headsails and their sheets flog, shaking the whole boat, the mainsail gets pinned against the shrouds or flogs and steering becomes difficult as you have no speed, but must keep control. Any extras become a nightmare, especially if they don't furl properly.
    These scenarios usually happen at 3 am with associated rain, change of wind direction and half asleep crew. They are rare, but only have to happen once to spoil your trip. What is not rare is worrying about them, which really should not be a part of an enjoyable cruise when the solution is so obvious.
    "

You don't have to depower it totally,.. just reef it down to a safe size that is still balanced. That is what my 'mainstaysail' does. In the first place my aft mast rig is designed to carry the same sail area as a sloop that requires a considerable taller mast. My rig can be shorter to begin with, and even shorter at night, with just the simple act of rolling up that big genoa and sailing with the smaller, lower 'mainstaysail'.

"I think the capsize of Anna is really instructive because it is an example of a large (57ft) well designed and built (Chris White) catamaran. The crew were doing things well up to the point they capsized. They were monitoring the weather by radar and using Mk1 eyeball. The great thing is that the skipper was gracious enough to write a journal about the capsize. I think the sailent points are in the paragraph attached."
    https://www.cruisersforum.com/forum...hnology-and-systems-267200-3.html#post3663939

I got a kick out of this one,..ha...ha
    "Capsize is a risk with high performance. Just like crashing that new Lamborghini after it rains is a risk.

That’s what makes it fun.

I’d also rather have risk of capsize in the 2% of sketchy moments than wishing for more wind in 98% of my other time on the boat."
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  7. brian eiland

8. brian eiland

Some Up-Side-Up installations on big French multihulls

Interesting how the sheet (line) seems to be 'captured' by that secondary winch in addition to the primary one,...so not all is totally lost on the headsail's re-sheeting
  9. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Capsizing is a dangerous big catastrophe on large non racing catamarans. The cat I was looking for, was foreseen for family sailing with younger children. One of those sailing cats will need for sure some computer device to release the main sheet in case of very strong gusts but it would also neeed an escape hatch in the floor of the main salon in order to be able to leave the boat when completely capsized. But I as far as I know, that is standard on larger classed catamarans. The twin wing sail is a nice option but not as flexible as a Dynarigg, as far as quick reefing is concerned. And I have also learned, that Dyna riggs are pretty expensive sail eaters with their sail reefing system.

To my knowledge, a twin mast performance ketch rigg is the best option for one of those multihull sailboats. The mast height is lower and the boat can be trimmed perfectly. Amazingly, the internal living space is rather small on a modern 50 meter cat design compared to a traditional monohull design.

Back to the basics. Either sailing with a monuhull and accepting the system typical heel or stop family sailing with children at all.
  10. brian eiland

11. brian eiland

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  12. brian eiland

13. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Brian, I am very familiar with the catamaran Douce France. I have been a guest on her once, when she was on the hook besides us. She is the boat, where my plans came frome for a large family catamaran sailboat. Douce France is a pretty old boat and not in the best shape, due to her extensive commercial use. But her rigg is the one, I was talking about, a twin mast performance ketch rigg.

We are thinking more in this direction. The only alternative for me is something very classic.
  14. brian eiland

perhaps Kajan can redesign her in a manner you would like
  15. brian eiland

Dynarig support analysis

Just wondering who might have performed the analysis that the Dynarig could not work on a catamaran?

I went back and looked at the very thoughtful analysis the Shuttleworth did when he was designing the free-standing Aero-rig 52 catamaran. I patterned my design after his structural work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Hello Brian,

Your picture shows a cross section of a 62 ft sailing catamaran. If You translate this picture to a 165 ft sailing catamaran, we are talking about totally different forces and weights aloft. A Dyna Rigg mast would only be supported from the coach roof down to bottom of the conecting bridge deck. That is like placing a 150 ft Christmas tree into a vase and expecting it to withstand a storm. There maybe a solution but that is rocket science and bloody expensive. My French NA did not want to try that and I am not willing to pay for that.

In comparison, a performance Ketch Rigg is easy to construct and very strong with its standing rigging and its spreaders. And in conjunction with park avenue booms and fully battoned main and besan sails with hydraulic captive winches also easy to handle with relatively small crew.

HTMO9
    BlueNomad likes this.
  17. brian eiland

I wasn't suggesting a single masted Dynarig for that 165' catamaran you were seeking, and certainly not a 150' tall free standing rig. And I don't think Kajan's twin dynarig had mast(s) near that height.

I added that 'dynarig support analysis' posting to this discussion just to say to some future reader that it was not going to be impossible to put a dynarig on a multihull, ...just likely impossible to put one on a much larger catamaran where the burial depth does not increase in proportion to size of the vessel.
  18. brian eiland

Square Rig Variations

There was a period of time in the past when I was looking for variations on the square-rig theme. This little video (and some others that are no longer viewable) presented one of those variations,..
    a youtube clip of a model proa with a Dynarig type sail on it.

How about scaling up this 'fenced yard' idea for a simplified Dynarig that would allow for hoisting and lowering the sail area (and yards) for various wind strengths?

I would divide my ‘concepts’ into two groups; 1) as simple as possible non-automated version, 2) automation and furling of the sail sections by mechanical or electrical means. In both cases I’ve sought to eliminate the need for ‘in-mast’ furling of the sails (MF). That requires a more hi-tech mast and practically dictates a carbon fiber mast.

For your project and this discussion lets just think about the most simple version of my thoughts,

I would choose to utilize an elliptical mast section, in fact likely an exaggerated one that might be fairly long for its width. You might find this type in an old ‘mast junk yard’, as a number of early alum-masted vessels tended towards this shape to minimize the aero disturbance to their attached mainsail. As a bonus this style tended to be rather heavy-walled, an advantage for the free-standing nature of the ‘variation on the square rig’ and/or the dynarig.

My yards would differ from yours in that they would be relatively flat plate ‘sickle looking shapes’ built to the idealized 12 degree arc curve. They would be one piece across the entire span and taper at the outer ends. They would be wide enough at the mast such that an elliptical whole cut into the yard would slide down over the mast,

My yards slide up and down the mast like yours. To facilitate this sliding I would utilize several possible materials. The least expensive one would be UHMW polyethylene. In a thin sheet form it could be wrapped several inches wide around the two ‘proud sides’ of the elliptical mast section and attached with countersunk screws. Sliding against this ‘mast surface’ would be ‘blocks’ of UHMW cut and fit to the adjoining hole in the yard(arm). This UHMW material is cheap, workable with std wood working tools, tough, slick, and sea-environment friendly. Alternatively, there is a more expensive sheet and block Teflon material that could be similarly fashioned.

NOTE: The alum (or whatever) mast with thin sheets of UHMW attached at the ‘pointy ends’ would be a relatively clean structure to the wind and to other rigging lines, etc, as opposed to ‘channels’ or a ‘rail’ projecting from the mast surface.

Each sail would reach across the entire span of the yard’s forward edge and attach to the yard via a bolt rope arrangement in a track/groove on the surface of the yard. The sail material could be extremely light-weight cloth as it is supported along the full two longest edges. Aerodynamically this gives a very clean outer surface to the aerofoil…the most important of the two sides. The inner surface of the ‘sailfoil’ is interrupted by the slim side of the mast at its center, but likely the airflow will re-attach to the inner curve of the sail’s inward arc…. (and helped by the end plate effect of the flat yards top and bottom).

The ‘flat plate’ yards need to be constructed of a very stiff material that will resist bending from their ‘arched shape’, and from their tips bending up or down. Their ‘sickle shape’ (top view) should help significantly with maintaining their arch shape. There will need to be a cross wiring of their tips to attachment points at their center reinforced ‘holes’ that surround the mast. This likely could be accomplished with small tough, pre-stretched spectra line. Not only does this keep the tips from bending, but also it contributes to the yard itself riding a straighter line up the mast and resisting cocking and binding.

NOTE: There would be the temptation to build too much vertical depth into the bearing/sliding material to prevent jamming of the yards as they slide up and down the mast. This should be avoided as too much depth could actually increase the binding when the mast itself bends slightly under sail loading. It would be better to have proper cross-wiring (bracing) of the yards themselves, then a two part halyard pulling on the top yard, and a proper two part restraint on the bottom yard in a reefed configuration. Too much depth in the slide bearing would cause additional problems with stacking the stored sail rig

reference discussions
    https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/square-rig-variation.30031/page-2
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  19. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

There is not very much to be simplified on a dynarigg. There is no alternative to the Inmast furling, as the vertical inyard furling will not work because of the neccessary bended design. I am not saying a dynarigg will not work on a multihull but not on a relatively small 50 meter multihull. On a much larger catamaran, lets say 300 t0 40 ft in length with with multi deck superstructure or a twin deck bridge deck, there might be sufficient distance between the lower and the upper bearing of the masts. But here we are talking about an at least 3 or 4 mast design like the study of Mikael Kajan below.

145 meter dynarig design Study.JPG

But if this giant would be built for example at Lürssen Blohm & Voss, Hamburg, it would bust the one billion Euro border very easily. And there are not very many other yards in the world, capable of building such a large multihull according to megayacht stadards.

Attached a file about Dynarig masts. When You see the construction, one can easily understand, one of those masts can only be built in carbon fiber. Again we are talking about alot of money.

Magma-DynaRig Mast.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  20. brian eiland

Royal Clipper Uses Furling Square Sails,

https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2018/01...bvious-technology-behind-modern-clipper-ship/

Here is a look at a modern sailing ship, Star Clipper’s Royal Clipper, a high-tech square-rigger whose technology is not always obvious. Click here for a photo tour of the Royal Clipper recently featured in USA Today.

We recently posted about the high-tech three-masted square-rigger, Black Pearl, which features a next-generation Dynarig with automated sail trimming and furling. Flexible solar panels are also incorporated into the sails to help meet the electrical needs of the vessel.

Compared to the Black Pearl, the five-masted fully-rigged sailing cruise ship Royal Clipper looks almost entirely traditional. This is no accident. The Royal Clipper is modeled after the famous Flying P Liner, the five-masted ship Preußen of 1902.

According to the Guinness World Records, the 439′ Royal Clipper is the largest square-rigged ship in service, with 5,202 square meters of sail area (or almost twice that of the Black Pearl.)

The Royal Clipper sets 42 sails, set on yards and stays in what at first glance looks like a wholly traditional rig. In fact, it is anything but. The 26 square sails can all be set or furled from deck at the push of a series of buttons. The square sails are furled inside the hollow aluminum yards with a hydraulic roller furling system. The yards are trimmed with electric brace winches.

Furling square sails is not a new idea. Variations on the concept date back at least to at least 1861, with H.D. Cunningham’s Patent Self-Reefing Topsails. The advent of hydraulics, electric motors, lightweight spars and stainless steel cable, however, make it possible to fully automate the handling of the square sails carried on the five masts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]