Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

A newbie need your help in choosing

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Volunteer, Nov 18, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Volunteer

Volunteer Guest

Hi all.
    I have experience of more than 5,000miles in Euro lakes and rivers and about 500miles Med shore on 30feet. Now its time to go further and i choose sea yacht. I am planning to live onboard and trevel whole Med and Black sea ( maybe Canary and Euro Atlantic as well) 5-7 month per year, ~2000 engine hours per year for 3-4 year. So i have some issues wich i hope you can help me.
    1 I'm going to run without crew and captain, only my wife and I. We need ability to invite 8 guests for dinner or taking 6 on short voyage.
    2 Based on my expirience and Med size i decide that would be nice have possibility of at least 600n.m. range.
    On river 30's displacement mode range is about twice then planing range. Is it true for 55 and 60s feet yachts? Many of them have models wich range in displacement mode is 600n.m. or more?
    3 The ability to transport of 2 sportbike is required )) Is it real?

Which size of boat meets these demands and comfortable enough for 2 people in a few months? I look narrowly 62's. Does it make sense to consider 55'?

Sorry for my English)
    Regards.
  2. menkes

menkes Member

sail or power?
    in the Med if you go over 45'-50' or draft more then 1.8-2.0 mt and you loose more then 40% of the Anchorages, marinas, harbours.
    i sail the Med for more then 40 years
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

While we're responding to a ghost one comment on the statement of losing 40% of the anchorages, marinas, and harbors. We hear similar statements in the US. However, that tends to make it seem worse than it is. One doesn't need to be able to use more than 60% of the marinas. All one needs is to be able to use one marina in each place they want to go. Today we're in a 130' on the west coast of Florida. We lose over 80% of the marinas on the coast in that size. However, everywhere we want to go there is at least one marina that we fit and is very nice. In fact, they're the marinas for the most part that we gravitate toward even in smaller boats.

My point is that while Menkes comment is very valid if you're looking for a boat for a specific use and area, then I'd recommend really reviewing that area in detail for marinas. Active Captain can often be helpful for that. Even there be careful as some may say one length but for transient be able to accommodate more. For instance, a transient dock set up with side tie to handle three 50' boats. Well, it can easily handle two 75's or one 60 and two 40's. Often we'll site in to the marina on a map or chart and see what it's configuration is.

We've been mapping the great loop, prior to making a purchase, where you hear all sorts of comments about size and draft. Well, we are not finding issues for a 65' with an LOA just under 70'. Yes, there are many marinas that can't handle it, but plenty that can.

So the real question is how many locales or ports will you find that no marina or anchorage or mooring can accommodate your size you're considering.
  4. menkes

menkes Member

we are talking about the med !
    check the maps and the pilots of Greece, Turkey or Croatia and you'll understand the difference
  5. olderboater

I have done so and found the number of marinas for larger boats limited. I don't argue with your numbers at all. But I also do find a limited number of marinas that can accommodate larger boats. It only takes one. People do travel the med with boats over 50'.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you run displacement speed, you will most likely almost triple your range than at cruise. Provided we're talking about a planing motoryacht here. Do you have an intended style you'd like? How about speed, what speed are you looking for? There are many around 60' that can accomodate what you need. Question is, are you looking more for a trawler/expedition yacht or even Fleming type or a motoryacht. New or used. For a Motoryacht the 63' Sunseeker Manhattan, 60' Hatteras MY, 62-64' Neptunus and several others would be good choices.
  7. Volunteer

Volunteer New Member

menkes Both. Power for short trip and fun, sail for long distance cruise.
    Well draft is not a problem, 6* feets draft is usualy less then 1.8m.

olderboater, Capt J Thanks. Almost triple sound very encouraging. Yes, we're talking about planing MY, fly or hardtop i dont decided yet, it will my first. Manhattan and Predator exactly what i consider, but Sunseeker confuses his price, even 70feets Sunseeker cost less then other 60 feets the same year .
    I do not know lot about that, just started to reading Sunseeker part of forum, and I am afraid that this is due of comfort, handling and quality.
    My budget is 1.5kk$ for purchase and first maintenance and 150k (130 will be much better) for annual maintenance and fuel.
    Hatteras look good but I did not see any on European market. What do you think about 63 Vertigo or 64 Pershing long living comfort and reliability?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Olderboater is a great fan of the Riva's. I haven't been on a Riva newer than a 1980's Ferrari.

The Pershing is an Arneson surface drive boat and a bit more tempermental to growth on props, everything with the running gear being totally 100% right.

The 62' Sunseeker Predator/63' Manhattan is a great riding boat and one of my favorites. You should be in your annual budget with either one of these or the Riva.
  9. Volunteer

Volunteer New Member

I Found Hatteras and .. hm. They are very old or expensive and more like fishers. I got tangled Feretti part not yet Sunseeker, i reading in the order. Feretti promise biger passenger very tempting.
    So, Sunseeker price not due to less reliability? It means short list include Vertigo, Manhattan and Predator. Pershing and Feretti maybe. There is something to think about.

Thanks a lot, you are realy helpfull.
  10. olderboater

As an owner of a Vertigo and one who looked at the Pershing 64, neither of them would make a very good liveaboard in my opinion. Love the Riva, but not for that. Plus your stated range requirement was 600 nm. A Vertigo is more in the 250 nm range. Great boat but not for your purpose.

For the same reasons I wouldn't want to live aboard a Sunseeker Predator. Now a Sunseeker yacht or a Manhattan, I think could be excellent. The flybridge just really expands the space plus they have normal enclosed salons vs. what you find on a Vertigo or Predator. I'm a huge fan of the Manhattan 63 and 65. They're the same boat just 63 is galley down and 65 is up.

For liveaboard the Hatteras MY's have excellent space. Ferretti has some good models for liveaboard. To me, I want a flybridge model for liveaboard, not just for the bridge, but for the design and layout of the main deck, for a more usable aft deck, for a real salon vs. just a riding area.

One thing I don't know is whether you face any challenges on air draft where you're going. I don't think you do for the most part but I don't know all your plans.