Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

8 volt battery replacement

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PPD, Jun 29, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PPD

PPD Member

Good afternoon all,

It looks like we will be closing on the 80’ Burger in the coming weeks, so I’m whittling my refit list down to the priorities to get her ready to run up north.

does anyone have any recommendations on what 8v batteries are the best(cost effective) out there? The boat has 8 total.

thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am assuming you have an old 32V boat. Probably with old natural Detroit Diesels.
    You also use the 32v batteries to run everything else on the boat.
    We still have our 45 year old, 32V Bertram.

Lots of things have changed lately regarding 8volt batteries for boats, sadly, nothing good.
    Measure where you are planning to install your batteries. The original 19", 4 flooded cell, 8V battery is not made any more by any mfg.
    This was the standard size used everywhere.
    The next 8v flooded battery available is 24.5" long, CCA 510, MCA 625.
    And they keep getting larger with more cranking amps and more reserve.
    So, Measure your battery bays first.

There is a battery company out there called Rolls. They don't make the 19" any more either. But they have a 22" 8v battery.
    They also have not so long 8v batts but are pretty tall. Again, measure well your battery bays.

Others out there have experimented with golf cart batteries.
    Problem here is golf cart batteries offer no cranking amps.
    I have also witnessed multi 32v strings tied together in parallel to get cranking amps up.
    I am not a fan of these Frankenstein battery banks.

Now the really scary parts;
    Not many in stock anywhere, any brand.
    You will probably pay for shipping.
    The price$ may effect your health.

Good luck
  3. PPD

PPD Member

Yes, in my researching I am seeing a lot of folks trying out the golf cart batteries, but I’m not sold on that yet. I would love to hear from anyone on here who has done this as to their experience/satisfaction with them.

I’m finding a few options out there for replacements, but yes, the cost is not desirable.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My boat was 32v till I repowered and converted to 24. I used 8v golf cart batteries and used to get about 4 to 5 years life which is pretty good in sofl.

gilf cart batteries are great for house and inverter banks as they are as deep cycle as they get. They can crank just fine, I had no issues firing up my old 8V71Ns
  5. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

If the boat is still in Panama City the best local source for marine parts and batteries in Marine Maintenance.
  6. PPD

PPD Member

I will check out Marine Maintenance. We are going to have the bottom done, new shaft seals, and a handful of other things done while it’s in Panama City.

Pascal - any thoughts on the 8v golf cart batteries turning over 12V71Ns?
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Big engines… and I believe naturals have higher compression ratios. I would use starting batteries
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  8. 54bertram

54bertram New Member

have 12 cylinder manns in my bertram . my 2 banks of interstate 8 volts run with a parallel switch trurns them over just fine
    but that being said if i had to do extended cranking there might be a problem
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How did you do on battery replacements?
  10. PPD

PPD Member

We just moved the boat to Miller Marine and had it hauled out for a bunch of work. The battery replacement and overcharging is on the list of things to do while it’s there, so we haven’t gotten to it yet.

doing the bottom, removing stabilizers, doing shaft seals, ACs, heads, batteries, gutting the salon and galley, rebuilding steering hydraulic cylinders, fixing one of the gennies - a lot of things on the list.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh sheet, lots of projects.
    Please open up a new thread and show off your ships refit.

We like to watch..
    Fjol70, leeky and T.T. like this.
  12. PPD

PPD Member

Will do. Heading back down to Panama City in two weeks to see how Miller is doing on some of it and I'm going to start cleaning out 40 years of junk, gutting the salon, removing the toilets...
  13. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

That boat had some unique floor coverings.
  14. PPD

PPD Member

Sure did. Ripping most of it out in a couple weeks.
  15. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I can't say that I blame you. I've been out of town on family business for awhile but I plan to be back next week for a visit. I may stop by Miller and check out your progress, I love that boat!
  16. Paul Sander

Paul Sander New Member

Hi everyone, I am currently working on an old 80 ft Burger here in Alva Florida. I am having a hard time finding the 32v bank? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  17. PPD

PPD Member

What year is the boat?
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

19. Paul Sander

Paul Sander New Member

Hello thanks for reply. It's a 1982, and 83'. I actually found the bank in the aft lazerrette. The 32v Newmar charger has died. The bank is deader than a door nail. I was originally chasing a mysterious 100v ac current on the hull side, gave a couple people a shock. I've found the malfunctioning battery charger bolted to the hull, no earth ground, no bonding wire.