Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Delta

1967 CC Roamer 37' Motor Overhauls

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Mikecc1967, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Mikecc1967

Mikecc1967 New Member

Looking for recommendations for what I should or should not consider while I have my (2) 460 fords out of the boat to be completely gone through. I would like to make them as bullet proof as possible and dependable without changing anything to much from original.

Both motors are original to the boat along with the Paragon HJ7 transmissions. Im sending the transmissions off to a mechanic who would specialize in paragon s as well.

This is a fresh water boat in midwest. Im considering deleting the closed cooling system and just relying on the raw water cooling to simplify things. Any thoughts on that?

Any suggestions on steering linkage as well. Mine is tough to turn in certain spots. I was thinking about upgrading steering from manual linkage into hydro system possibly but would rather keep original if I can get it to be much smoother.

Also any suggestions on a bilge paint for the aluminum hull? The original paint/coating is flaking off. Im hoping to power wash and degrease well enough to prep surface for a bilge coating that will hold up and make clean up easier.

Open to any other suggestions you all might have while the floor is out and bilge is completely empty.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

An Ole Riviera??

460 Fords??
    I recall a different LBF** in use but can not remember the CID or HP rite now (not 429 either). The 460s came much later. Maybe the original rev 390?
    I was raised LBC*.

Closed system cooling not only keeps green water out of the engine, it also helps keep everything (EVERYTHING) at a constant and efficient temperature.
    Keep the closed system if you can.

Dumbmetic now owns all of the recreational boating rudder and steering systems (when you can't compete, buy them out).
    https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoor/boat/marine-steering-systems

Bilge paint, Ive worked on Strikers and Roamers. Nothing beats clean and bare aluminum.
    If you must paint; strip, then etch all the alloy surfaces, epoxy prime and paint with a two part paint.
    Consider adding bilge lights everywhere to show off your clean/shinny bilges.

Please keep us up on all your projects and work.
    We like to watch...

**Large block Ford
    * Large Block Chevy
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I'd keep the closed cooling. It's worked OK for 55+ years, right?

-Chris
    Mikecc1967 likes this.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Mikecc1967 likes this.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Mikecc1967 likes this.
  6. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Lake water will corrode those blocks from the inside out and the cold Midwest winters will find any water you manage to leave in the low spots and make little pieces out of big pieces. I definitely would not remove the closed loop system. I'm surprised the vibration didn't alert someone before the shafts wore through the cutlass bearings into the struts.
    chesapeake46 and Mikecc1967 like this.
  7. Mikecc1967

Mikecc1967 New Member

My mistake! They are 427 blocks. The 460 is on another project of mine right now! Apologies
  8. Mikecc1967

Mikecc1967 New Member

CORRECTION: THE MOTORS ARE 427 fords.
  9. Mikecc1967

Mikecc1967 New Member

Thank you for the great information captain Ralph. I absolutely will keep you updated here. I will plan on just cleaning up aluminum and keeping it as is! I like that better! Less money and work!

I will plan on just replumbing new lines on the cooling systems and keeping it in place. What type of hoses have you gone back with to dress an old motor up a little ? Should I just stick with standard black flex hose ?

thanks again
  10. Mikecc1967

Mikecc1967 New Member

Me too. It was smooth the few times I have had it out. I knew they needed replaced eventually but no leaks and no vibration at that time. I will attach pictures of the shaft log I took this morning when I get back to my computer later today.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024