Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Android and iphone apps for boaters

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by yachtbrokerguy, Aug 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. I just bought an Android based smartphone. What applications have YF readers found that seem to work well for tide, navigation, and any other marine uses?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i dont' know if Charts N Tides is available for Android, I've been using it on my Iphone and having Active Captain data is great. couple of of taps and you can check marina data and even dial the number to check fuel price or book a slip with one tap. has tides too, couple of taps to find the nearest tides station to your position or to the cursor.

i also have InavX which i had bought before Active Captain was available, it's pretty nice but more expensive. i prefer the look and feel of the NOAA charts though but again Active Captain is the big plus in C&T

for weather radar, I use weather underground wundermap in the browser, you can zoom, scroll, etc... very convenient in thunderstorm dodging season!

then of course, Pandora Radio for music.. no need for sirius anymore!
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have the Navionics maps in my iPhone with a lot of information. It is a nice backup and it also have the GPS speed in knots. It was almost for free compared to the same charts for my Raymarine plotter.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Only if you are in the US.

Extracted from the Pandora Website.

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Ditto on the Navionic app. Nice distraction to have with you , too, when you're attending a meeting that seems to have no end!
  6. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

I recently bought an Android phone too and discovered that there are no chart programs available yet like the I-phone has. I hope that's a matter of time because the possibility to use my phone as a hand held plotter was one of the reasons I wanted such a smartphone.

Now I use "Speedgauge" to verify the speed of a boat, Compass to navigate and Google maps. I mainly drive boats in Hong Kong and I have unlimited access to Internet and because I know these waters this sort of works for what I need to do. A decent chart plotter app would be much better though.

I don't know what's available in the US. I know you have google streetview but again this is an internet based solution and won't help you navigate outside of phone reception and is very limited when it comes to navigation.

Other programs I've downloaded are Office to go, Google Earth, Cherry RPlayer (radio stations), Divermate (Padi tables) and Advanced task killer which helps me save battery.
  7. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

Navionics is available for Android phones too. I got the 4G EVO phone in June and downloaded Navionics UsCentral and UsaEast. I used it to save our track while we were on a Bahamas trip crusing down through the Exumas and over to Long Island. It worked great. Best $10 program EVER!

There is a cool program for Blackberrys and soon for Iphone at myanchorwatch dot com. I called and they told me that they are working on a version for Android as well. While I was searching for an anchor program I ran across one for Android that looks remarkably similar to the my anchor watch program. It is called anchor alert and it is available at slimjimsoftware dot com. I have not purchased it yet so I cannot give a reoprt as to how well it works.

I also downloaded one called Marine Weather available at bluefinengineering dot com. It is a quick and easy way to get NOAA Marine weather forecasts, tides, warnings and buoy info wherever you are.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  8. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Plus even in the US you need an internet connection.

There is an anchor watch app for the iPhone now. It's called Anchor Alarm.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

sure you need an internet connection but with an Iphone you have it almost everywhere... on the east coast, the only dead spot in the swamp of NC.
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Very true for running the coast. And I love Pandora. But once you're a bit more offshore if you don't have say a Fleet 55 with a full time connection.... :)

That's why I still like SAT radio. Offshore, middle of the night, in the middle of no where and you can still get news, sports, music, Howard, etc. Great to have on those night watches.

Anybody know if you can get SAT radio on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica?
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

true... off shore or in the bahamas i usally use the sat radio channels included with directTV.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is another one that might be of interest/help to those doing a good mileage in un familiar regions.

SuperyachtGLOBAL (SYG) iPhone application

SYG is an affiliation between selected companies creating a network of professional and reliable service providers to offer vessels shore side support in key locations throughout Europe and Asia.

SYG has currently 22 members in Europe and Asia and is growing continuously with plans to expand to the Americas and the Pacific.

The SYG iPhone app stores all core data onboard so no internet connection is necessary to retrieve most information. Only displaying the members location in Google Maps requires an internet connection.

The information provided is the members name and contact details, a location map and holiday information. Nothing upsets the smooth running of a yacht more than arriving in a new country and being confronted with an unexpected bank holiday with all offices and shops closed.

The user may dial phone numbers or send e-mails directly from the app or alternatively can add individual members contact information to the address book. Loading the app does not clutter your address book with unwanted information.

This application was developed by Ralf Beck. For further information on app development contact Ralf at: general AT superyachtglobal DOT com

http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/syg/id378776208?mt=8

For more information please visit our website www.superyachtglobal.com

I looked it up on I Tunes as the link in the article above opened in a browser window in German, it is the first hit after searching for SYG and it's free.

I then changed the URL a bit and now it opens in English.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Not necessarily navigation related, but on my list of must-have apps for the iPhone...

1. Dragon Dictation - Even if you breathe fire, this app will amaze you with its ability to capture and convert your speech into words, then paste them into a text message, email, etc. It's not perfect, but it's darn close. Speech recognition software has made quantum leaps in recent years. Android already has a dictation feature nicely integrated into their operating software. Its not a stand-alone, separate app, like iPhone users must use.

2. VoiceBox Dialer - As the name suggests, just say the person you want to dial and it brings up that person, or persons, on your contact list. Then tap to dial. I believe a similar function is native to Android as well.

3. Google Mobile App - This program never ceases to amaze me. The voice search capability of this program is incredibly accurate. And it's geographically smart. Again, this is native to Android.

4. Powerlight - using the LED flash built into the 4G, it converts your iPhone into a very useful flashlight.

5. Speedometer - I have tested this GPS speed measuring program against several vehicle speedometers and it is extremely accurate. I use it onboard my boats to calibrate actual speed. Gaffrig's lie!

And finally on the iPhone, maybe it's just me, but I thought the new 4G was a bit uncomfortable to hold. Yes, a wafer fits better in your pocket, but the darn thing was slippery. It didn't feel as natural to hold as the 3 series. The "bumpers" changed all that. If you haven't ordered them, they are free and make a big difference in the ergonomics of the 4G.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

EarthNC has jsut launched a $25 app which combines seamless NOAA raster charts with a whole bunch of data from various cruisign guides. havent' tried it personally but looks pretty slick.

obviously that's for the US only...