Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Zero Transmission Pressure

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Posterboy91, Dec 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Posterboy91

Posterboy91 New Member

Hi Everyone

I have a 1984 46 post with capitol gears. I have Zero oil Pressure in my Port trans and am not getting any gear forward or reverse because of it. I am in jacksonville beach FL if anyone knows a solution or a good yard in the area that can repair it that would be a huge help. also if anyone has gone through the process of taking one of these transmission out of the boat please let me know incase it comes down to that.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your in a pickle; Jax beach & Capitol clutches.
    Don't let those meat heads at Beach Marine get near your boat.

I'll P M you with some contacts.
    Can you make it on one engine to Ortega? StJohns boat yard (north bank from MayPort)?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I PM'd you with some contacts.
    Do you have any history leading up to the complete failure?
    Any previous work rite before the failure?
    When did it fail, one morning you started it up and no clutch? Was in the ditch and hit something? Ran low on oil?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There used to be an old shop around Daytona (many years ago), Maybe Ormand Bert54 remembers him.

When the Post Kids get back in, you will have the experts explain the R&R tricks. May have some ideas on the oil pump also.

It could be a couple of weeks before anybody can get to you.
    Relax.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. Posterboy91

Posterboy91 New Member

Thank you for the contacts I am about to make some calls. I have owned the bot for no more then a month and it has 1600 original hours so it never traveled. I have found that it was leaking oil for a while and then was sticky coming out of gear one night. Then we refilled it with oil (still has some oil but not much) and it operated fine with no slip or grinding. Then we got the boat to palm cove marina. And went home for Christmas came back to finish the trip And there is no pressure in it. I was thinking it a seal or bad valve. But it could be the clutch.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sadly, I am not a Capital heavy. They all mostly work the same except for Allisons. If it's finding netural, lets not worry about the packs for now. Get the oil up and check the screen or filter. I think it's an external mounted pump from previous threads. Maybe a search thru YF will offer something for you.
    I tried to call you back but got your voice mail a few ago. Lets keep trying to connect.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check fluid level, then check filter or filter screen. If both of those are fine, it's most likely the pump. Perhaps you can find a pump for it.
  8. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

I have removed, rebuilt and replaced my starboard Capitol gear after the clutch pack failed. It was pretty straightforward. I had Transmission Marine in Fort Lauderdale rebuild the gear and they did an excellent job! It was about 5 years ago and the tab was about $4K for the rebuild and I did removal and installation on my own with some specific instructions from Transmission marine. I would be happy to give you a detailed description of the removal and installation process if it comes to that.
  9. Posterboy91

Posterboy91 New Member

so I found out the reason I lost pressure was because the trans had been pushing oil out through the oil cooler until it was almost empty and then the heat broke the pressure regulator spring in 8 pieces. also had water enter the transmission through the bad oil cooler. im all fixed up now and the transmission is functioning near perfect for now.
  10. Puntrooskie1

Puntrooskie1 New Member

11. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Welcome to YF, Puntrooskie1. Cat got your tongue?:confused: