Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums

Your thoughts: 50 Hatteras

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by CTdave, Nov 18, 2009.

1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hey folks...
    So I currently own a 50' Bertram with 8v92s. It's an '89 but I've had the engines done, I gutted & refinished the complete interior and updated the electronics.
    Into my life appears a '94 50' Hatteras with MTU's (approx 1100 hp). The hull is real nice, aluminum supports for the hard top is all faded out, interior is extremely dated & would need a full re-do.
    The port engine apparently overheated & was destroyed. It was removed, sent to MTU for a complete rebuild and it is now sitting in a crate ready for install. It's going to have to come apart to get it back through the saloon door.
    The Hat could be purchased as is for $220k. I'd have approx $10k to get the engine back in & running & then I'd have to deal with the interior.
    It's a one owner, non fished (doesn't even have riggers) and the 20 kw gen and stbd engine have 1600 hrs.
    What are your thoughts on the 12v MTU's? I have to look up the model.
    What are your thoughts in general about what looks like a sideways step from the Bertram to the Hatt? Pros/cons?
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Dave
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Keep your Bertram.... There is nothing "better" about that Hatt.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

agree.. both boats are very good. you know what you have right now, you know the condition of the engines and machinery, etc...

on the other hand, chances are the other MTU will need to be rebuilt pretty soon...

so unless you have a someone ready to buy your Bert. for a price good enough that you will end up ahead and want to take on a project... keep your boat.
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Dave,
    You know what you have with the Bert, don't know what you'll get with the Hatt. In such a condition, I wouldn't touch it since other things may go wrong and you'll be into it for many more $$$$.
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Thanks guys!
    This is what I've been thinking but I needed someone else to confirm it!
    Now if I can justify an extra $150k (above the $200k) & go take a looksie at a little 2001 50' Bert I heard about:eek: :p

Thanks again!!
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Gee Dave,
    If you wait a bit longer you may be able to make an offer on a new 63 Bert. Needs a little work, like getting the fish out of the engines and some drying out the carpeting...
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Dave, that's an exceptionally good price for that 50 Hatteras, given the model year--that's what a donated 1989 50 Bertram (with 92s) went for about a year ago.
    Interiors are inexpensive, the half-tower can be painted, and, BTW, the bulkhead and/or window is meant to be removed for engine removal. No need for surgery on the 183s.
    That said, you're a Bertram Guy. So, as they say in your neighboring state:

"FUGGEDABOUDIT"
  8. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Uh boy.........
    Hatteras guy just called. Seems he really doesn't want to store the boat for the winter. He's making it more and more interesting:D

Update to follow................