Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

YF update...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, May 16, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi all,

I need to apologize... I've fallen behind with feature reviews over the past 6 weeks. I try to publish 2-3 reviews a month, but we've had to finish up the other aspects of YF, such as the Flash header, the new video feature and organizing the Member's Rewards program. I believe everything is coming together nicely.

We've got 4 features in the works and I'll try to take 3 of them live before the end of the month. If I appear to be MIA... I'm really just busy looking for objects to hurl at my keyboard. I've found that a hacky-sack works well and limits casualties.

Here's what's upcoming...

1. Hargrave's 105' Dream: This was actually finished a couple of weeks ago, but I have not had time to upload it.

2. Africat's 42' Catamaran: This is the smallest yacht we've ever covered, but because it is such an outstanding product... size doesn't matter. (right girls?)

3. Neptunus 56' Flybridge: This company should receive a lot more exposure. Although they are production boats, everything about them approaches custom, luxury-yacht levels.

4. Westport's 164' Vango: Because we publish more images and editorial than the magazines, I have chosen to wait until more images are available so we can do a feature worthy of the new 164'.

And finally, I want to thank everyone for keeping the momentum going, helping other members and bringing new info to YF. :)
  2. YachtForums

One down, three to go. Hargrave is up!
  3. YachtForums

A little slow around here, so I'll be the first to post... just finished uploading over 120 logos to accompany the history pages (linked from the front page). Uploading took all day, but getting the logos has taken weeks! Still a few stragglers, but I'm on it!

Hope everyone's having a good week. :)
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Carl, good idea, and as usual more work than you expect...:(

I have been spending a week now getting used to my new Powerbook. Either you just download all from the old one in a few minutes, or you try to sort out what you like to have left and this takes forever...:)
  5. YachtForums

I feel your pain Lars, but it's time well spent. I lost a drive a few months ago and had to re-build from scratch. Upgrading to your new PowerBook will take some time initially, but it will save you a LOT more time in the long run. Do yourself another favor... buy a back-up drive or external storage device. Failures happen!

BTW... I sent Gary the renderings today. He was looking for 3-D files, but I think he can do this with 2-D. You may need to get some dimensions to him. He's going to get back to me in a couple of days with an estimate.
  6. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Hi, Lars,
    Did you get one of those new Dual-Core Powerbooks?
    How is it?
    Arnie
    :)
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for the update on Gary, maybe I can make exterior deck plans for him.

The last version of the Powerbook 17" before the Intel mess, was the last to run in Classic mode as well. So I got one in the last minute and will have to stick with it forever if I would like to run all my old applications from time to time. It has the 1680x1050 screen resolution and can also support a 30 inch screen in a way that I have my tools on the 17" and the design on the 30".

So far I love the machine, have to buy the 30" soon to get the perfect setup!

/Lars
  8. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

The 30" is great. I have a 23" and it is awesome. How was the pricing on the 17"?
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Including the Swedish VAT on 25% (!) it cost about USD 3.500 and the 30" display will cost the same. Eventhough a lot of money, this is not much more all together than my Powerbook G3/500 was six years ago! And about the same as my first Macintosh II almost 20 years ago. It had a 20Mhz processor and 20 Mb hard disk....

I have a desktop machine for backups, but is working on laptops since ten years now. The Powerbook G3 has been running 17 hours/360 days for six years without a hiccup now, really impressive and I will still use it when I travel.
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Smallest? Surely, at 420 feet, it must be among the largest? ;)
  11. YachtForums

Uh oh... major blunder! I just corrected that Kevin. Good catch!

Can you imagine... a 420' cat? :eek:

BTW... what is the world's largest cat? Anyone know?
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'm guessing it would be one of those high-speed ferries... they're pretty large.
  13. YachtForums

The world's largest sailing cat is being built by Derecktor...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/news-products-launches/3369-worlds-largest-sailing-cat.html

But I'm curious... what is the largest, private power catamaran? (excluding multi-hull, passenger & ferry types from Austal and such). The first one that jumps to mind is Winter’s 86’ Pacific Harmony…

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/winter-yacht/1054-review-pacific-harmony-86-one-cool-cat.html

If you include wavepiercers, the 110’ Spirit may be the largest…?

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/n...-spirit-33m-wavepiercer.html?highlight=spirit
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Moecca from Oceanfast is pretty big, 45 m or 147 feet...
  15. YachtForums

Two down. One more to go. Neptunus is up! The Member's Rewards program is almost ready to go too. Hopefully by the end of the month. Still finishing some details. I'm taking off to go flying today. BTW, I found a way to get a FREE heli ride. Just pretend you can't swim... :D

Attached Files:

16. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Carl,
    Just make sure they don't find out that you're the YF Administrator.
    They might just decide to throw you back into the water.
    HAPPY FLYING! (Pictures, videos please!)
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Arnie
    :)
  17. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Spirit looks really good, why arent there many more yachts that are built on the catamaran design? It is very stable and plus you can still make it look very aesthetic at the same time!:)