Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Yards that offer hurricane haulout contracts in S. FL?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Dec 17, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I know we've discussed hurricane haul-outs in the past, but not sure if we've touched on contracts. A friend is taking delivery on a new 46' Beneteau in February or March, just in time for Florida's not-so-favorite season. He asked if I knew of any yards - preferably local to Palm Beach - that offer contracts to haul in case of a hurricane?
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Many do, and you need to pay them a visit and pay them a fee to be on the list. The list requires timely arrival or you'll lose your slot. I know several that use American and Harbor Town in Stuart and Ft Pierce. It's rather common.
  3. MBY

MBY Senior Member

We’ve used Palm Beach Yacht Center in Hypoluxo. They have a two haul out plan that was handy this year. Kelly in the dock office is awesome to deal with as well which is a big plus.
  4. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I have left my boat at River Forest in Stuart for the last couple of years. They put you in the building. It is expensive but when you factor the cost to run the boat to at-least GA it helps offset the cost. They are a good outfit and well managed.
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Keeping the boat north of the Savanah River during hurricane season has its own significant cost benefit.
  6. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I have survived 4 (different boats over the years) hurricanes at a Marina up the Cape Fear river in NC. I am comfortable there. But Brunswick, GA took a hit with Matthew (I think) and the marina I have stayed at got significant damage. We were actually on the boat in Charleston for a Tropical storm and it was amazing what that did to Toler’s Cove. My point is I think the boat is safer in side a CAT 4 rated building, one lock in on the Okeechobee than it is in GA or SC. In addition I would have to look but I don’t think there is much of an insurance break anymore to go to north of Florida. Could be wrong about that. So I looked at the fuel burn of leaving Florida and then returning and my time to run it and have come to enjoy kind of laying the boat up after our Bahamas trip in June till Christmas.