Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Yanmar Engine

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Cloudman, Aug 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cloudman

Cloudman New Member

Any body know any thing about these engines? 6HYM-WET
    Looking as alternative to 8V92TI
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Cummins remans would be my choice if replacing the DDs
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have not heard anything bad about the Yanmar.
    Are you trying to keep the (guessing) same 650 horsepower? Are you going to keep your boat for a long time to come?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, some of the larger Yanmars have had some serious issues, I think they were the 440hp series. I think Yanmar makes great smaller HP engines, but if going to larger ones say >350hp, I think you're better suited with QSM 11's or CATs
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

What type of boat are you looking to repower - that will matter as much as your engione choice. A 500hp Yanmar is down on hp when compared to an 8V-92TI, but you will certainly get some significant weight and space savings. Your Center of Gravity will also go up, not so desirable if you are repowering a Motoryacht with a lot of structure/windage, but this can be offset some what by adding something usefull like a large Battery Bank/Inverter system.

If the engine room has some length available, going with an in-line six like a Cummins QSM-11 or CAT C-12 would be an option. Scania makes a nice compact V-8 as well, and I believe Yanmar was licensed to use it at 900hp, but that may not be the case now.
  6. Cloudman

Cloudman New Member

Repower

I have a46.6 Bertram sportfisher and looking at these engines at 600-700 HP
    I believe these are assembled in china
    Looking to hold the boat for 3-5 years
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I would factor in the best servicing Distributor as a business partner in your area if you are committing to a total repower, as well as availability of parts, technicians, etc.

There are plenty of Bertram experts on this board who can definitely chime in as to the best 8V-92TI replacement for a classic 46 Bertram. You have plenty of viable options in the 11 - 15 liter displacement range, sorry, do not have specific experience with the larger hp Yanmar.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do a search as I remember reading about someone who repowered the 46' Bertram SF with Cummins, I forget which ones but they outperformed the DD in speed, were more fuel efficient, and the boat ran great with themI remember the boat being in the Gulf somewhere, AL, LA somewhere aroudn that area. I'm pretty sure I read about it in one of the threads on here......