Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

YachtTube..?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AMG, Oct 6, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Some people seem to like yacht related videos, so a dedicated YachtTube might be better than spreading them all over YachtForums? This will help reduce dead links in every forum thread..?
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

That's a great idea, especially when you've reached that brain dead point where it's even to much bother to read but you sure could use an easy diversion.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yachttube thread sure, that would be good. I hope the likes of Discocachina, Milow, Ombreetsoleil are watching :) Lars does have a valid point.
  4. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

@Lars: As a thread or as a own video project? In a thread can be also dead links and a project needs a lot of space on a server and traffic.

BTW, I started a list with videos on my blog some weeks ago ;)
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

THANK YOU Lars! For the most part, we haven't had a problem because most of our senior members are discussing real yacht issues.

Over the past year, a few more enthusiasts and 'spotters' have joined our ranks, bringing us lots of links from around the net. While many of us appreciate this, they fail to consider long term link viability, which leaves many discussions without reference.

Worse, it's diverting traffic that we've earned with collective knowledge to websites that offer no real value other than an image. Each time a link is placed on YachtForums to other websites it adds significant search engine value to those websites and YF does not benefit from a reciprocal link.

I made a public post a couple of weeks ago asking these members to curtail excessive external links. Maybe it is time to ask them directly.
  6. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

Maybe its an idea to create a subgroup for yachtspotting where enthousiasts can place pictures and videos without putting all the videos under one thread.
  7. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

I get/got the message and understand why posting youtube links on YF dilutes the "original content" that I came here for in the first place.

Any one interested in any topic like "yachts" can go to a site like youtube or google and search to their hearts content and find great stuff.

Unfortunately finding something first and bringing it back here to "share" with YF while very well intended does not really add any thing "original" to the discussion.

So unless it comes from my brain or my camera you won't be hearing about it from me.
  8. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

Okay, same here........;)
  9. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

I agree with Carl's concerns - but would reducing or removing yacht video links really change much in redirected traffic terms?

In saying this, I'm thinking of the 'Off Topic: Winter, Wheels, Whatever' thread, which is updated pretty much daily and consists almost entirely of non-yacht related external links?