Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Yacht Transport

Discussion in 'Yacht Transport Ships' started by Nice Cat, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Nice Cat

Nice Cat New Member

At this moment we have a 68' in Cannes,
    now we are trying to take it to our hometown, Belgium. (Just north of France)

Does anyone have suggestions of what type of transport i should take?
    I have 3 things in mind.
    - Transport over land (already looked for that one, i dont know if i should post price?)
    - Transport over water
    - Transport by a captain and maybe crew
    What would be the cheapest, and maybe also the safest?

And since it's not allowed to advertise, feel free to pm me with a good company.

Thx in advance.
  2. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you are going to move it by water then I would suggest getting a move on before the weather goes to pot.

I know a guy who is currently churning his way south through Germany and heading towards Marseille in a 50 ft monohull.

He is doing this two days at a time as he can't get away from work for more than that at present and making pretty good progress.

He has shown us some fantastic pictures of the sights along the way, much more interesting than churning along with a grey fuzz of coastline on one side for a week or so.

If I can get my stuff sorted out I might go with him in the 1st and or 2nd weekend of October to see it firsthand for myself.
  4. Nice Cat

Nice Cat New Member

Thanks for the comments, but doing it by myself is not really possible.

What do you guys think is the cheapest?
    Transport on the roads
    Transport on a bigger ship
    Or just hire a captain and eventually a crew.
  5. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I would contact Peters & May in the UK. They are one of the largest yacht transport companies in Europe. I use their service all the time, whether I require road transport or sea freight.

This is there phone number: Tel.: 00 44 23 8048 0479 ask for Shaun Robinson, he's the manager and a great guy to work with.
  6. Adriatic

Adriatic Member

...or ask at Spliethoff , they are regular between Med. and IJmuiden (Holland) carrying yachts.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Sigh .... Just a week ago the chief mate and I were sitting on the terrace of a superb restaurant on the east side of the Soane at the corner of the bridge drooling over the food and the view of the cathedral across the river when a sturdy looking German cruiser of about 15 meters cruised past. He didn't stop so we figured he already had lunch.

That has to be one of the best ways to travel through Europe, by boat on the canals. We figured that guy probably left the Rhine around Basel or Mulhouse and was heading for the Rhone and points south for the Winter.

Sigh ...
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Following my Colleagues experiences I am looking seriously at a 10-12m steel cruiser capable of making the trip south to Marseilles and then across the Med thru the Black Sea and back up through Frankfurt to the Elbe and on to Hamburg.

I might call it the Great Loop of Europe.

If I go back to sea as Chief I will only be able to do it a couple of months at a time.

If you like the sound of this Marmot we can discuss it over a few cold ones at FLIBS in a few weeks.

One thing we would both need to do is to upgrade or endorse our Skippers Tickets to include a European Inland Waterways Supplement. As you have a US one and mine is a NZ one it will remain how much must be done to achieve this.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

what are the size restrictions for the french canal system from the Seine down to the Med? I thouhgt draft, air draft and beam had to be fairly reasonable?
  10. lobo

lobo Senior Member

you`ll find the key data for almost all european waterways here: www.water-ways.net/e/index.php
    a bit clogged by charter information, but generally a great site to start researching further
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Isn't Western Europe about half way between the two of us ... how far wrong could a couple of engineers go?