Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

Yacht Listings - No Crew Cabin Pics?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Yachtguymke, Dec 31, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

So, I have been in the boat biz for many years, brokering and selling New Boats. Lately I have been in a consultative role to a select group of individuals here in the Midwest that are actively researching the market for their next "Toy."

The power of the internet is a beautiful thing. I can sit at my desk and view many yachts for sale, worldwide with a few clicks of the mouse. I view all of the major sites. Its a great thing as I don't have to jump on a plane with a potential owner and go view these boats. Its a very cost effective way of browsing the market.

As I go through these listings, I am finding that no one includes images of the crew cabins. Many brokers don't even include many images. I realize that one might think the more images they present, the less phone calls/emails/inquiries they will receive. On the contrary, I think that if more brokers listed many images including engine rooms, crew cabins and other areas of the yacht, they would generate more interest and generate more inquiries.

I like the fact that from my office, I can research and view all of the yachts that meet the specification of the potential owner I am representing. I would like to see more images and more information on these vessels without having to contact the broker in the short term. This market is tough right now - if brokers would just add more information to their listings, maybe they would generate more calls.

Just my two cents......
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Broker like when they get phone calls, then they get a chance to speak to a person that is somewhat interested and may be able to "sell" them the boat.

If a boat usually doesn't have pictures of the crew quarter's, it's usually because the crews quarter's on the particular boat are so small that they are almost non-existent. European yachts typically have very small crew quarter's for their size in comparison to American built yachts
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I'd have to agree with Capt J. More often than not the crews quarters pictures are missing because they would just turn a captain off who might be looking for his/her bosses next boat.

Your clients wouldn't happen to be interveiwing captains and crews would they? :)
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"No Crew Cabin Pics??? "

Well, duh ... when crews start buying yachts, brokers will start showing pictures of crew quarters.
  5. brunick

brunick Senior Member

well marmot, for some guys it's more important to see crew quarters, because you'd not like to have a crew aboard, that is forced to live on 2qm with 3 persons...

image that for yourself...
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Basic law of salesmenship: Never give a prospect anything that could elicit a "No" response. The boats are sold on their saloon and staterooms. Once sold it's the owner's problem of how to keep crew who will sleep aboard or shimmy through the engineroom. Of course a smart owner would say "let me see...", but that's all too rare. I don't think crew quarters or engine room pics will be shown anytime soon except when it's something the builder is proud of.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"... for some guys it's more important to see crew quarters..."

Yeah, about the same percentage as crew quarters pics in the brokerage brochures.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Well put - NYCAP.
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

K1W1, what are you doing here so close to the magic hour?
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Marmot- The magic hour as you put it is more than 12 hrs past where I am sitting at the mo, I got side tracked cleaning up the garage and car port while getting out the portable BBQ on my way to the beach or I wouldn't be sitting here now
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Ah so, didn't know you are on the other side of the world, well, let me wish you a belated Happy New Year anyway. Enjoy the barbie and best wishes!
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Actually, crew quarters are important to a lot of owner/operators I've run across too, because they are looking for good dry storage. Or an occassional sleeping quarters for the grandkids.

Knowledgable owners will also always look at the crew quarters that I've worked for. If you look at all of the custom sportfishes and motoryachts (where owners could have crew quarters made any size they wish), the customs generally always have nice crew amenities.

New buyers and new yacht owners will generally not look or care what the crew quarters look like
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The problem comes when they think that a grown man will live there. They then end up with a boat that doesn't leave the dock for lack of crew or worse, a captain desperate enough to live like that.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Knowledgable owners will also always look at the crew quarters ..."

Sure, but pictures of crew quarters don't sell boats or charters. If they did there would be pictures of them on the brochures. Hotels don't show pictures of the laundry room or kitchen, airlines don't show pictures of the pilots' seats or baggage handler's lunch room. Cruise lines don't show pictures of the crew recreation room.

Crews don't buy or charter boats, when they do you will still not see pictures of crew quarters because it is not part of an owner's or charterer's experience. They don't show pictures of the dents and faded paint spots either, and the girl on the lounge chair doesn't always come with the boat. It really can't get much more simple than that.
  15. brunick

brunick Senior Member

now you're talking about charters - that's an other point - for sales it's important - i my eyes. in charter bussines there's no reason for a charter guest to ask for the crew room - as you said with the airlines etc.

but if i had a crew, it'd be important for me to see the crew area. my crew should't live like some "lower" folks, they're on duty all the time, so they should have some space too. would you like to live on a 50m yacht with three other people in a room? can't imagine that...
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"... if i had a crew, it'd be important for me to see the crew area."

Good, but if crew quarters sold boats the designers would improve them, the builders would build them and the sales brochures would feature them.

All the good intentions and warm fuzzies in the world don't overcome the fact that there are no pictures of crew quarters because that is not what gets a prospective owner (or charterer) onboard to look around.

Poor crew quarters might kill a sale but even great ones won't get the buyer to make the phone call.

"... would you like to live on a 50m yacht with three other people in a room?"

Nope, won't do it. That is one of the reasons yacht crew tend to be backpackers and why we have such a hard time finding professional marine engineers.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Actually for charter boats their location, not necessarily their size is very important. You want them seperate from any guest staterooms if at all possible. You also want the crew to be able to function during a charter. Meaning, not interrupting the guests by having to lift the aft deck seat to get to the rear crew quarters while guests are drinking or eating on the aft deck wont work either. (Sunseeker and Azimut love to use this location for crew stateroom entrance/exit). Many charter yachts in the 90'+ range have a crew quarter entrance on the stern as to not effect anyone, anywhere else on the vessel. Or the Browards used to like to put crew in the bow behind the country kitchen and entrances to all guest staterooms aft of the galley in the salon. Feadships usually have crew walkways on the port side of the vessel seperate from all guests, so you can transfer food goods,liquor, and anything else to the different decks un-seen from guests without having to visibally walk past anywhere guests may see you.
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Geez. I wish I had never written the word "charter." All charter boats were bought by someone, a buyer. Many if not most large boats are chartered so there really isn't much of a point of difference to be made. Some layouts make better charter boats than others but let's not make that into a red herring ... all boats are bought and sold and there are no crew quarter pics because that is not what attracts a potential buyer to make contact, regardless of the intended use.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree that the crew cabin is not a selling feature 95% of the time. However, it is obviously important to the person who initiated this thread.

The size of the crew cabin can be a deal breaker for a good percentage of buyers if it is the size of a broom closet. There are also a good percentage of buyers that would never think to even look at the crew quarters when they look at the boat.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

same with engine rooms... while more of a problem on smaller boats, many buyers dont' pay much attention to accessibility and ease of maintenance.

then when they are charged 6 hours labor for something that should have taken one hour, it becomes a painful eye opener...

and if you browse YW, you will see very few ER pictures...