Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums

Yacht Detailing company destroyed my baby

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by red92901, Oct 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. red92901

red92901 Guest

Undocumented blasphemy removed, along with this poster's membership.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Your post is highly suspect based on your Occupation and spelling: "makeing yachts look beutiful" and your Interest is listed as: Detailing Yachts.

If you want this post to stand, you will need to contact me and prove your identity. Otherwise, you're a detailer posing fraudulently as a 3rd party to disgrace the name of your competitor.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Been thinking about making a similar post:

I had a guy redo the gelcoat on my CSY sailboat and initially I belived his sales pitch and admired his portfolio and testimony from owners and surveyors in town.

After the gelcoat was done, I realized the finish was rather poor, so was the color match, or lack of.

Had my surevyor come over to inspect and give a 3rd opinion.
    He stated : "Don't let the guy near your boat again."

I complaied to the Better Busines Bureau and got a verbal promise of a refund
    from the gelcoat guy.

The refund never happened and looking at the guy's tax records on the internet he is about to loose his house for un-paid property taxes, therefore
    it would be pointless to take him to Small Claims Court.

Did not want to splash his name and his Company's name on this board until
    I got an okay from the Carl.

The story fits this thread perfectly however and could be a warning to others
    as I have seen the crook around other yachts lately.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have shot an e mail to the Skipper of one of the yachts figuring on the website of the Company mentioned in the first post here.

I would trust whatever this Skipper says in regard to this so lets wait and see.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dag,

It's one thing when a respected member makes a post to warn others, but when a first time poster signs up to openly grind an axe, that's when the red flag goes up. Unless we can substantiate who that person is and some form of documentation is put forth, then it is likely bogus. I have removed the OP's rhetoric and his membership.

I would prefer YF didn't become a place for people to air dirty laundry. Things have a way of quickly escalating and deteriorating. It can be the death of a forum. We've ALL worked hard to make YF an informative, helpful place. That's why we've grown and the medium has become respected in the industry.

That said, I've had this discussion with others before. Kenny Bracewell originally proposed this over lunch one day, when YF was still in its infancy. I was concerned it would kill momentum and create disrespect when we were already struggling to make inroads with builders who feared the medium could be manipulated.

Admittedly, a little controversy can spice things up and bring lurkers out of the woodwork, so I'd like to propose an alternative... a private forum, by invitation only. Originally, I planned to do this for captains to share experience about yards, products, services, etc. However, THIS is information that we should ALL be privy to.

Following FLIBS, maybe I can set something up. Time isn't on my side right now...
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Understood.

This is why I was holding off on splashing the information on these pages.

That being said, I would encourage anybody having detail and gelcoat work done in Fort Lauderdale to send me a Private Message.

I have pretty much ignored the finish and detailing of my 31 year old sailboat:
    It is in pristine mechanical condition with the latest in equipment and safety gear and it sails great to the Exuma Islands regardless of shoddy work and incompetent gel coat "experts" and the whole issue can be solved with a good coat of awgrip paint.

Any recommedations on painters/yards doing good paintjobs for a reasonable price..? :D
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

sub standard work and warranties

This is interesting, whenever an owner has a serious complaint and can back it up with documentation, why should it not be in the public domain ? surely that would be the place for buyer beware to become informed as to shoddy practice ?.
    There are ways to get around this by posing technical questions about the quality of the work performed to get opinions of the forum, however, this is purely a disguise.
    If a cancer is left unattended, it only continues to grow. Yes, we can understand the hoopla and flames that some postings may generate, it can be monitored and the offenders dealt with, it should not prevent the public having to seek out info via special forums. My 2c anyway.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've found that in this business if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys that screw up your yacht. I always use reputable people through recommendations of others. I also have used the same sub-contractors for a decade.

I also feel that if there is verifiable proof that someone did sub-par work, that the news should be spread.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I got this as an answer to my question to a large yacht Captain whose boat features on the company in questions website.

The company you mentioned actually did do a great job for us. It is not an alternative to new paint but it does make the the appearance 100 % better. We had worn thru some areas with our fenders and gave him this as a test, came out great. We then asked them to do our transom as it had some odd appearance that looked like plastic that was applied for a touch up had made markings in the paint. Again, this came out great, no swirls. I would recommend their service for good finish and honest scheduling.

I would accept this Captains words as an honest appraisal so think that the OP who slagged it off so much might actually be a disgruntled former employee or a competitor who has an inferior product/service and is venting his frustration via lies and ridicule
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And there be the rub. Any person or company can screw up. It's what they do afterwards or if it's their standard M.O. that shows what they are. One needs to be very certain of their position and be able to document it before defaming anyone or they could find themselves on the wrong side of a lawsuit. The internet is not anonymous.
    Dave, I understand your reason for not suing. A judgement and a metro card will get you on a subway. Always asset search first. However, there are 2 very good reasons you should proceed. One is that a judgement is good for 10 years and can be refiled after that. His circumstances could change in the future. The second is that judgements are public record. They show on credit reports and can be pulled up with a simple background check.
    When there's a rant on the internet it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It could be a competitor, a chronic complainer or simply someone who doesn't know how to resolve matters properly. A judgement means that a court agreed and validates the complaint. When I see a complaint followed by 'I obtained a judgement against them, but haven't been able to collect', that gets my serious attention. It could also elicit comments like 'he has a house or boat to attach here or a bank account there'.