Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno

yacht designer just starting out...need help please!

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by dorvieto, Jun 9, 2009.

1. dorvieto

dorvieto New Member

Hi everyone
    I'm new to YF and am looking to start putting a portfolio of designs together so I can pursue yacht design when I graduate from college next year. I am a naval architecture student so I know the physics behind why everything works once it is designed, but not how to get to the finished product. My question is: where does one start with a yacht design? Should I design a side profile that I like, then begin to develop deck plans, and from there a full 3D model? Or do I design it from the outside out, starting with the general arrangements and moving outwards? I have a lot of ideas but am unsure of how to proceed with them. Any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated, including any comments about a portfolio in general (like what companies might be looking for, views to include, etc.). Thanks!
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, I think you should do as you feel is the best for you. There are no rules, until you are within a company where they will ask you to do certain things.

A profile is always a good start, because you have to think in 3D already then.

To get a GA in place is always a challenge because all boats are too small...:)

If you are good at making 3D-renderings by hand, it is always more impressing than computer renderings. At least on me...
  3. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

IMO, your portfolio should portray both your technical knowledge and design flair. Your designs should stand up to scrutiny by those who have an innate feel for whether the layout is sticking out through the sides or whether the head room wont fit under the foredeck or whether the massive tender fills the space where the engines would be etc etc. In other words, put time into thinking the design through....style is fine, but check there are no howlers lurking in your design that an interviewer will relish pointing out to you in a well rehearsed holier than thou manner.
    The usual format is basically profile, deck plans and a 3-D exterior / interior or two...throw in some detail views too if you can.
    Underline your designs with some basic Principal Characteristics...major dimensions, capacities, displacement, engine choice / performance expectations and such.
    Hand drawn sketches are a distinct bonus....these days computer literacy is a given, so although computerised renderings are effective and dynamic, hand drawings (especially well proportioned '3-D' views with good perspective) are a breath of fresh air to prospective employers and give a great indication of a designers eye. The ability to actually draw free-hand is sadly rare in our industry these days. That said, most companies these days use high-end design software....if you are conversant with say, Rhino, Solidworks etc, put examples in there and make it clear that you are aware of other software and are capable and willing to learn if need be. Can you render ? Add a couple of images if you think they look viable.
    Any ideas on 'special features' ? Such as sliding roofs, tender garages, balcony doors, unusual features etc...if so, a couple of sketches with notes and or renderings showing tantalising detail will get them interested very quickly.
    As to what designs to put in your portfolio....do you have any favorite builders ? Do you have a leaning toward a specific type ? Perhaps you can target a particular size / type you like and adapt it / them. Portfolios exist to spread your bets, so unless you want to focus on one or two prospective employers, a broad mix of small / large / motor / sail / interior / exterior is a good bet, although intense to prepare.
    Using an existing design or two of the size you are interested in is a good start to getting a feel for what a boat of a certain size can fit in it...I don't mean copy, I mean at your stage of learning and experience it cant hurt to get a feel for what established designers do to package up the same old problems and compromises, learn from them and add your individuality to an accepted viable platform.
    I suggest starting with a hull of a pre-determined size and type...give the existing / potential competition a look to get a feel for number of cabins, deck spaces, machinery options etc. Get a layout roughed out, with a few check sections for floor widths and headrooms, then style it up.
    Most interviewers who may employ newbies / graduates are looking for long term potential, and have been around the block several times...they will spot flair and or technical ability within the simplest of designs as long as they are accurate and attractive.
    Good luck :)
  4. U.Petricich

U.Petricich New Member

Disquisitions on boat design

Hi. Years ago there was much less designer tha boat builders.In the years before 1950 you can count the yacht designer with the fingers of one hand in all the world example Hereshof S&S Uffa Fox .The yacht was intended as sails yacht, the power boats was mostly Ship and i did not remember a name of a power boat architect all of them was Naval Engeneers thei construct in steel. The name i mention before thei was sails woodel boat designer.Who design boats in that years was boat builders thei design by themselves.
    Starting year 1960 started a great number of designers such Dick Carter and then in the1970 Bruce Farr Ron Holland Ben Lxcen Dough Peterson A Vallicelli and many many other
    from New Zeland, Austalia, USA, Italy, France and slowly growes scool and University in all countryes to teach Naval Architecture.In the same years also power boats designer, with people as Paolo Caliari.
    In the old times designer sketches a design and the Boat builder carpenter take on itself all the responsability to make the boat.
    in the early 1990 Autocad give to designer the possibility to rappresent a design but in 2D with little bit higher accuracy bur responsability given always to The Boat builders.
    In the middle of years 1995 a fantastic architect of Seattle Mr Robert Mc Neel puts in the hand of everybody something that permit to create a 3D dimension model exactly comparable with a real Boat.
    Only in the 1972 was invented the equation of the NURBS that in the hand of Olin Stefens was the woodden spline.
    Now you can understand in what easy time we are living with all the possibility given to us by Internet and Modern Software.
    Regards U.Petricich
    (Bob Mc Neel is my friend thanks to him)
    A suggestion is ask as much as you can to every body because every body knows something but there is nobbody who knows all in Nava Science.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Just as today, if we are talking good designers...
  6. igorcolor

igorcolor New Member

We are kooking for a youg designer to help us with a range of small yachts like the Targa Bonita range. Please e-mail me through the forum
  7. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Well, first you have to consider the mission of the boat, what is it supposed to do, then you design a hull form that is congruent with that. Problem is, it takes a few years at sea on a variety of vessels to understand really what effects what when it comes to the details of bottom shape. You also have to take into account what equipment must be fitted an its weight and where you have to put it so it doesn't negatively impact the trim underway. Also consider damaged stability when placing things. Then you have to make it into a package that is visually appealing.

Either that, or you can design the interior and the master stateroom and then build a boat to hold it which seems to be the route some designers are taking....
  8. igorcolor

igorcolor New Member

We know all this and have a precise brief. Have been building various lines of yachts for years. We are just looking for an inovative new and young designer to come up with something which is correct for our use.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, I think Henning was giving an answer to the original poster.
  10. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Correct, sorry, should have quoted.
  11. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Looks like the OP is long gone. Shame really, as the thread just got interesting.