Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Yacht Design Software

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by soundtrackparis, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundtrackparis

soundtrackparis New Member

Hello!

I'm new, I'm Lucas and I live in Paris, France. I'm fond of boats. I wasn't able to post this thread in the Yacht Designer forum so I'm here!

Here's my question: I would like to know if there is a Mac software to design yachts. I would like one free, and easy to use, very simple, just for fun.

Thank you, Lucas.
  2. HONGKONG

HONGKONG Senior Member

3. soundtrackparis

Really? ok I think I'm going to continue drawing on paper, it was just to give a realistic look!

Thank you!
  4. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

I use TurboCAD, AMG has a Mac too and a quick search here on the forum will reveal what software he uses, I have forgotten.

http://www.turbocad.com/
  5. soundtrackparis

OK, thank you very much, I'm going to try the demo.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, yes I use Macintosh since more than 20 years. My only program for everything I do is Freehand. But since Adobe bought Macromedia some years ago, they do not maintain or update the program as they think we should all start using Illustrator instead...:rolleyes:

Both of these are 2D postscript programs, which I am probably alone in using for yacht design. I think they are as close as you can get to paper and pencil but even more flexible and faster to work with. How anyone can design in 3D I don´t understand..:confused:

But when a boat is designed, I have it done in 3D when needed for the production. Like this plug for the deck on our new 34-footer I was checking today, made with a robot from drawings in Rhino 3D.

Attached Files:

7. soundtrackparis

Wouah good job, well done! I would love to do something like that but I don't feel able to use this software. I tried the demo, it's very complicated! I show video tuto... I can't so I think I'm going to continue drawing on paper!

:D
  8. soundtrackparis

Actually I would like to try doing something like on your home page. Just a side, not with 3D...

Your yacht is very beautiful :eek:
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you Lucas,

The boat we are building now started as a 2D Freehand drawing as you can see here. (I am now making details of the interior why I use some guidelines on the profile drawings.)

After this we made the Rhino 3D that you can twist around on the screen to see that it looks OK and from this the clay plug is made in a CNC-machine as you saw above.

From this plug we make a mould and in the mould the final boat is made.

Attached Files:

10. soundtrackparis

Congrats! I'm going to try to do an easy 2D Freehand draw. Is TurboCAD good for that?
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

For those interested I took some pictures today where you can see how the job is done. On the deck I posted above is a walkaround and the robot can not reach down in the walkway so the side is made separate. Here you can see how it is built up from wood, with dense foam and later coated with this claylike plastic. The robot looks like an old dentist drill and goes on rails above the piece where it will mill it down to 0.1 mm accuracy. They have three machines, this is the smallest one.

Attached Files:

12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think TurboCad is a 3D program, but you can of course also make 2D drawings with it.
  13. soundtrackparis

What is the easier for Mac OS X Leopard? (and with a free trial!!)

And I see the review about Alfa Nero, you went on?
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I don´t know if Freehand is available as a trial anymore, but perhaps Canvas or another postscript illustration program.

Re Alfa Nero, I have not been onboard her yet. I´ll wait for them to build from my designs....:)
  15. soundtrackparis

OK, thank you for all and all the best!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.