Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Yacht Clubs, Marinas And Flag Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by HONGKONG, May 6, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. HONGKONG

HONGKONG Senior Member

What'e wrong with these pics?

And, on another note, my apologies for disappearing from the "Yacht Trivial Pursuit - Photo Round" your answers are, of course correct COENHARBOR. My lesson learned, never, never let your sons use your computer "just to look at something"

Attached Files:

2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

The top two photos show the US Flag in the position where the club burgee should be flown.

There is nothing wrong with the last two pictures so long as the guests aboard are Bahamians. - You know... it's truly amazing how many sport fishermen carry Bahamiams aboard full time in South Florida :D
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

US flag etiquette dictates that the US flag is always highest on the same pole or halyard, and if on separate poles, it is flown highest on a taller(the tallest) pole.

The club burgee does not go higher than the US flag, nor does another nation's flag when flown simultaneously (another nation's flag gets flown at the same height as the US flag on US soil).

From a pure flag etiquette standpoint, when other flags are flown simultaneously in the US, the other flags may be smaller but not larger than the US flag.
  4. Ken Bracewell

The position of the U.S. Flag on a mast which also has a gaff is a controversial one. According to long-standing maritime tradition, the gaff is the position of honor on a ship and thus is where the U.S. Flag should be flown. Yachting organizations, following the tradition of the seas, erect land-based, gaff-rigged flagpoles and fly the U.S. Flag at the gaff as well, feeling that the gaff is the position of honor on the pole.

The U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 7(f), which postdates this maritime tradition, states that “when flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the United States flag’s right.”

Alternatively, you can visit the US Power Squadron www.usps.org/national/fecom/faq/gaffpole.html
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This thread has been moved into the General Discussion Forum. Good topic.
  6. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I wasn't aware of the tradition of the gaff's prominence; i was working on long-ago and far-away memories from scouting (yes, an Eagle Scout once upon a time!).

Upon googling now, http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html has nothing on the gaff-rigging either, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I suppose the USCG/Power Squadron would know more than I!

Yes, Carl, I agree. It is a good topic, since there is some room for debate and learning on all parts. :)

(I suppose I've gotten rusty as a restaurateur spending my time behind the bar rather than at the helm.)
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Does this apply all over the world?
  8. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

That's another good question, for which I don't know the answer.

http://www.flagguys.com/etiq.html#yacht has more on the subject of a gaff-rigged flagpole, as well as US Navy regulations on how flags are to be flown aboard and on land.

http://www.armchairsailorseattle.com/flags.html has some info on sailing into foreign waters, but it's far from definitive.

(please feel free to edit out any links that may not be up to snuff)
  9. Ken Bracewell

Theoritically the only time you would fly a US flag in another territory is if the vessel was of US documentation. In that case, you would certainly fly the flag in the foremost place of honor (the flag staff). That being said, on a boat there will almost always be flags flying higher- the club burgee and owners flag are flown from the pigstick on a sailboat, and the owner's flag will always be the highest.

I suppose that ashore in another country the only time the US flag would be the highest ranking flag would be on sovereign soil (i.e. US Embassy).
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Flag Etiquette

Most of the boats I captain fly only the American flag, a YC burgee, courtesy flag, quarentine, etc. so please excuse my ignorance. I recentlly began working a US flagged 62' express cruiser (In U.S. waters). She flies the US flag on the port side aft roof forward of the transom, and (2) smaller foreign flags (representing the owner's countries of origin) lower and on the transom plus a YC burgee on the forward jackstaff. Before we start ticking people off can anyone enlighten me to the proper placement for these flags. (The foreign flags are on clamp-on staffs which can be moved to the mast.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Where is the yacht registered?

I don't see any reason why anyone would fly two foreign flags ( assuming they are courtesy flags at the same time) other than poor procedure.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The yacht is U.S. registered. These are not courtesy flags, but rather honoring the owner's home or birth country. To the best of my knowledge there is no proper place for such flags, but is there a permissable place? I've seen such flags flown from the halyards of sailboats and from the outriggers of Sport Fishers. I can't really dictate to an owner of a small craft that he remove such a flag, but there are places where we are certainly going to hear about it. Any suggestions?:eek:
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I see you edited your original post before replying to mine.

Have a look at Post No 2 by Ken Bracewell and the photo right above it in Post 1.

Although you won't have the same outriggers is your setup similar?

Also, here is another very informative page from the USPS- No Cap, not the Post Office :)
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"None is so blind as he who will not see". Thanks K1W1. Just rechecked post 1 from Hong Cong and got my answer. Your page from the USPS didn't get through?? I had checked Chapmans, but that just left me confused. I've been running hard for the past 18 days. Mind is frying. Thanks for the 2nd set of eyes.:)
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

16. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Megayacht flag etiquette-

vessel flag country= Aft, centerline on the main flagstaff.
    Yacht Club= Fwd centerline jackstaff (if the yacht has no yacht club affiliation the house/owners flag is sometimes flown here)
    Country courtesy flag= Stbd. spreader
    Owner country of origin= Port spreader
    Q- Stbd spreader, with out the country courtesy flag.
    Owners flag= centerline, as high up as possible.

Flags flown from 0800 to Sunset.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I learned several new things today. It's a good day. Thanks for supplying some of it.
  18. Ken Bracewell

And today I'm flying the Canadian flag on the port spreader.

Happy Canada Day everyone!
  19. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Flag ettiquette, gotta luv it.

In the mid 80's I worked on a US flagged 110' Bennetti but the only non-Brit aboard was gay-Ray, the chef. We used to have to wake him up early on his only day off to put the Sunday flag on the foredeck. Most times he felt very un-patriotic and needed a shave. (Blame skipper Kenny Argent for that)

Then sailing up to the Straits of Hormez off Oman the US Fifth Fleet was anchored off the coast when we were passing on a 65m Blomm & Voss yacht. There was a little tension around there at the time so when the deckcrew on the aircraftcarrier saw us, all the radios of the fleet must have squarked as flags were dipped all over the place (just in case, if in doubt - Salute. Sir Yes Sir)

We then had to run out on deck to put up our Antiguan ensign just to dip it to the Admiral. He then ran up his flag which meant we had to run up the Royal Standard of our guest.

It was the worst hand ever in Maritime Texas Hold'em.

Total panic for nothing. :D