Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

Xantrex inverter/charger

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by jetawave, Sep 12, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jetawave

jetawave New Member

I have a Xantrex inverter/charger freedom HF 1800. This past weekend it stopped inverting. It gives me no error codes on the display just 00.0 witch means [according to the manual] no communication between the Fredom HF and the display panel because the battery voltage was too low to start the inverter. I have plenty of voltage 12.96 to the unit. The company said that they do not repair them and want's to sell me a new one. This one is only three years old and I am not thrilled about buying another one of these just to last three years. Does anybody know who might repair these things or have a schematic for this unit? I contacted a couple of local places but they want a schematic for it and the company does not supply them. If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate the input.

Thanks, jetawave
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They only go about 3 years. I have a boat that I have managed maintained for a while and have replaced the Xantrax charger twice now. You can find them new online for a pretty reasonable price.......
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Had the same after a power surge, the Xantrex kind of died.
    The factory offered me a diso****ed new one, but found a better deal on ebay.
    Installed it then protected the circuit with surge protectors, no problems since..:cool:
  4. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

My Xantrex 3000 MSW inverter charger is being replaced today by a similar sized PSW Magnum. I got eight good and one not so good years out of the Xantrex. Sad to say, but as with so many makers of electrical gizmos, Xantrex too makes throw away stuff.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A lot of the battery chargers these days only last >5 years. It's not like the ones from >2000 that weighed 35lbs and lasted decades......
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Xantrex used to be excellent years ago but not any more. I have a 7 year old freedom 30 which was repaired under warranty twice and recently died.

Magnum, outback, Charles Are the way to go. Online forums are full of similar issues with Xantrex

I like magnum. Made in the US, not china
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

You Could try a company called Electrical South Inc.
    They are located in Greensboro N.C.
    We use them to repair all sorts of old, OEM and uncommon electronics.
    From PC boards to entire peices of small equipment.
    Call first and ask if they will be interested in the unit.
    Usually costs $ 75.00 for them to check it out.
    They will then give you an estimated cost and if you decide to repair it, they waive the $ 75.00.

At least they may be able to tell you if it is even worth repairing.
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

My inverter just recently stopped working and smoking.
    I pulled it out of the boat un about 20 mins.

I think it was a Freedom Inverter (Im not actually sure) and I had no luck from customer support

I replaced it with a 3000w west marine unit that is only an inverter.

I have a separate battery charger.

Now if one goes bad, i still have the other one working.

I know almost everyone I know that uses inverters use the combo units.

I only use the Inverter at night when anchored to run the fridge and maybe a light or two.
  9. jetawave

jetawave New Member

Thanks every one for the information. As suggested I will probable replace it with the West Marine 3000 W for now because I still have my older charger in the boat and I can go back to that one for now. I will not be purchasing a Xantrex item again.

Thanks again to everyone that posted.
  10. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

My xantrex freedom caught fire about a year ago. luckily it burned itself out before causing too much damage. I got a Magnum and haven't had any problems since.

The West marine ones are generic chinese junk.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you rely on inverter and run it from a large bank, it really pays to use an inverter / charger as they can recharge the bank at least twice faster than the average charger. This really reduce genset run time when on the hook

It s also very nice to have a back up charger when the primary charger fails!
  12. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

Pascal is 100% correct if you do a lot cruising and use your genset to charge up while at anchor. A well set up and reliable inverter/charger system will allow optimum battery life too which to me is crucial. My first set of lead acid house batteries lasted 8 years - they were still doing well but I elected to replace the batteries out of fear since I cruise in remote places.
  13. Capt Doug

Capt Doug New Member

Hf 1800

Jetawave,

I know its been a while since your last post, but I have a schematic for a HF 1800 in my tool box at work if you still need it.
  14. jetawave

jetawave New Member

Hi Capt Doug
    I would love to have a copy of the schematic. That would be great. Maybe you can E-Mail it to me at gary_dayton@yahoo.com I am going to the marina now to check on the boat. We almost lost the whole marina last night with the storm surge from SANDY. We were about 9' above high tide.

Thanks so much.
    Gary
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would you have the prints for any xantrex freedom 25 equipment?
    thx, Ralph
  16. Capt Doug

Capt Doug New Member

Ralph,
    I dont have one but I'll see if I can locate one from one of the other guys in the shop.