Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

Wrong info on Bimini Sands

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by captwahoo, Feb 19, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captwahoo

captwahoo New Member

:mad: I normally don't like to complain but the people at Bimini Sands on South Bimini really got under my skin yesterday. We had made a reservation the day before and there was no hesitation when we mentioned our size and draft, as there shouldn't of been considering they say in their ads they can handle 140' with a 8' draft. We are 34' shorter and draw 2' less than their max. After trying for a long period of time to reach them on the radio, I lined up the range markers and started heading in. Luckily I also requested that my wife contact the resort via Batelco phone to get docking instructions. They informed her that we should not enter as they thought we would probably run aground. She asked the gentleman on the phone why they did not mention this when they took their reservation. That is when he proceeded to get very nasty with her. Of course this took place right before sunset so we ended the day hauling it down to Cat Cay (where we should have gone in the first place).

I picked this marina as a stopover after reading a report from one of the Yachtforums members. Sorry Aeronautic1, I am unable to share your cheerful view of this place. I just feel sorry for the poor fellow that is making his first trip to the Bahamas and picks this place as his first stop. This was probably about my 40th trip to the Bahamas and let me end by saying that the Bahamas are the greatest place on earth and filled with wonderful friendly people, just not at Bimini Sands.
  2. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Bimini Sands web page

I read their web page (below). It says the water inside the marina is 8 feet. Most of us who frequent Bimini know that the channnel in front of Bimini Sands is shoal to 6 feet at best.

Sad to hear you had a communication melt down. I suspect that you were already peeved by them not answering the radio. I know I do when I cannot reach someone at an outpost marina in the Bahamas. Usually the norm. Hopefully, Bimini Sands will chime in and tell their side of the story.
    Aeronautic1

From their website:
    Our Marina Center has been designed to accommodate the needs of residents of our condos as well as our transient boat population. The focal point of this area is the Petite Conch restaurant located directly over our ships store and commissary. Choose your seat from our selection of indoor or outdoor tables uniquely constructed to blend with the Island environment. Step up to the Healing Hole Bar and enjoy a cool drink after a hot day of fun in the Sun. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available starting at 7:00 a.m. in the Petite Conch.

Adjacent to the restaurant and ships store to the South is the Customs and Immigration office. You may clear for entry here even if you are not a resident or renter at Bimini Sands. Adjacent to the North is our Sales and Dockmaster’s office. After clearing Customs, walk a few steps past the courtyard to check in at our sales office.

To the rear of the courtyard is our Tiki Bar and fresh water swimming pool. Take time to cool your outside with a dip in our pool and cool your inside with one of our favorite Bahamian beers or tropical drinks.

For our transient boating friends, public restrooms with Showers and a small Laundromat are located North of the Sales and Dockmaster’s office next to the Tennis Courts.

Bimini Sands is a full service Texaco Starport offering Diesel, Gas and lubricants at prevailing prices.

The marina currently consists of 53 slips, 45' or longer with 30/50 amp power and fresh water. These new slips will accommodate a larger number of small boats.

Currently over 800 feet of wall space is available for vessels not requiring power. Draft in the marina is maintained at 8 feet below low tide. The Bimini Sands Marina is a public marina.
  3. Frank J. Cooney

Frank J. Cooney New Member

Bimini Sands misunderstanding

It is truly disappointing when our attempt to assist a potential customer is misunderstood. I can only apologize for the inability of our staff to communicate effectively. My understanding of the situation relative to the comments given by Captainwahoo differ in two ways. In the first place no reservation was taken for the boat. We require a deposit to confirm a reservation and no deposit was given. We did receive a phone call on the prior day and indicated that we would be able to accomodate their boat. Regrettably when the captain called on the radio and later on the phone seeking instructions we informed him that he was approaching at dead low tide and while we maintain a minimum of -8' in the marina the recent dredging in the channel to the North of us had temporarily reduced clearance in front of the Marina at low tide to 4'. Obviously my dockmaster did a poor job of explaining the problem and offered the suggestion of Cat Cay as an immediate alternative without waiting for the incoming tide. We receive freight in our marina on a weekly basis on boats in excess of 150' drawing as much as 10'. The entrance of these boats must be timed to allow for the tide. Dredging should be completed on the new channel to North Bimini by mid March. In addition the entrance to our marina will be restored to a more friendly depth. As a businessman with a substatial investment in the Bimini Sands Marina and condos, I cannot think of a logical reason that I would turn away dockage and possible fuel sales unless we were concerned for the well being of the customer. Perhaps the easiest solution to this problem is for Captwahoo to call me at 242 347 3500 so that I can arrange free dockage at his convenience.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I seem to remember getting coupons for free docking in the Bimini Sands to try out the marina.

Never got around to use the coupons, but have taken my boat in there a few times to "check it out".

I can confirm the shallow spots at the entrance. I draw 5'6" and hit at low tide.

Is Custom and Immigration up and running in the Bimini Sands now?
    If so, at what hours....?
    Price of Diesel?
  5. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Diesel

I do not know what the pricve is today, but when I was there late last month it was $3.10.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Roger on $3.10 for Diesel Mr. Aeronautic.

Now if custom and immigration was up in that little lagoon, one would not have to battle the currents and the Governement concrete seawall to check in and the pay cash for the cruising permit.

Get the paperwork squared away, get a full tank of diesel, then head out for the banks without the hassle of North Bimini, Nassaeu or Cat Cay.

Any word from Bimini Sands on the status of custom and immigration..?
  7. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Concrete Seawall?

In over 20 years of passing thru Bimini I do not know what concrete seawall you are speaking of. I have always just pulled up to Big Game Club, and walked to Customs/Immigration to clear in. Same goes for anchoring up and going in by dingy. There is customs and immigration on South Bimini that serves the airport. I am sure they will come to Bimini Sands if they are called.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Belive it is called the Government dock.
    As close to the pink custom building as you can get.
    Where the freighters dock.
    Just East of Weeches, around the corner from where the little ferry-boats go.
    With an East wind it can get interesting.

I usually go to Wechees, check in and spend the night, then leave on high tide the next day.