Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Would a 1958 42' Roamer suitable for limited blue water?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by birdsey, Aug 21, 2007.

1. birdsey

birdsey New Member

I am considering purchasing that 1958 steel Regal Roamer that has been popping up on ebay.

Would this boat be suitable for cruising in Bahamas and the Caribbean? I see that many people are using them on the Great Lakes and talk (brag/lie??) about taking 8-10 foot seas without much problem.

The 2 biggest problems I see are the ability to handle waves and weather; and the fuel consumption and availability.

I am sure this issue has been on the forum in the past but I was unable to locate any old threads.
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Steel Deal

A 42' steel Roamer can plow through some pretty big waves.:cool:
    ON the Great Lakes the waves are more the "big roller" type, so unless the wind is coming in the opposite direction for prolonged periods (chopping off the tops) then most boats can "ride them" out.
    IN the Bahamas, conditions vary more.
    What is of greater concern are the Gulf Stream and the atmospheric conditions - ranging from tranquil to hurricane, eh?
    In terms of hull form, the '58 Roamer 42' is pretty flat bottomed (like a lot of other boats) - what this means is that there is no "V" in the bottom as it gets to the transom (but its cheaper to run - less wetted surface).
    24 degrees of "V" (deadrise) measured at the transom is what Bertram Yachts are famous for, and allows them to "cut" through wave action.
    They are notoriously wet, as would be a steel hulled Roamer: it doesnt cut, it submarines thru the waves, and is prone to pounding. Wanna go fast? nail everything down.
    In any case, the condition of your mechanicals is just as determinant in your safety factor at sea. Engine failure, or electrical fires dont sit well out on the big blue sea.
    Similarly, your seamanship capabilities matter alot. :eek:
    See, itz all a big equation.
    Starting with a big steel Roamer aint a bad opening shot.:rolleyes:

Attached Files: