Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

World's tallest aluminium mast: Perini Navi S/Y "Salute"

Discussion in 'Perini Navi Yacht' started by saharina48, Feb 13, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. saharina48

saharina48 New Member

Hi
    I just received this pictures from a friend in Viareggio. I heard that this is the tallest aluminium mast and only second to the one of Mirabella V.

Attached Files:

2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

3. lminford

lminford Guest

I spent most of the fall leering at the 56m Perini Navi Santa Maria berthed in Santa Margherita. I noticed the mast light was red presumably in deference to low-flying aircraft and have since wondered at what point a mast requires a red light. Anybody know?
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think you should have red lights if the mast is over 200 feet, (and strobes if it should be 500 feet...)
  5. Yacht News

Well Lars, I have noticed that Kaori has red lights on her masts. Are her main masts over 200 feet? And there sloop to her starboard is also flying a red light at the top of her mast.

IMG_1515.JPG
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I guess you are allowed to wear a red light on your cap as well, but it is not required...;)

On landbased objects, it has more to do with the location of high objects and communication masts are sometimes also illuminated or with several strobes so you should see it if you are flying low. With a sailing yacht, you may consider this as well if your mooring is close to an airfield or heliport.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Quite a few airports are located next to harbors and tall masts can be a real problem....

Boston comes to mind as well as some islands in the Bahamas and the Carribbean.

A strope light would be more effective than a red light or red paint.
  8. dallas tacon

dallas tacon New Member

The question of aero reds is actually moot as they are not fixed, as in landbased towers etc.....hence it is really a case of willy waving by owners and crew saying look how big mine is. There is no definition, as far as I know, that requires an aero red. But please let me know if different.
    happy sailing
  9. Yacht News

Well I guess the red light atop caps off the mast and gives great visual reference to the height of the mast(s) it/themseves. However, these yachts do not fly the red lights at night all the time so I guess occassion, brag and location may be some deciding factors. I would like to think if you are more in Simpson Bay you would have red lights because of close proximity to the airport? With "Salute" she has the tallest mast at the moment so would it be mandatory?
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

More than a few smugglers have attempted to fly under the veil of darkness... and well below the scope of radar... skimming the surface at altitudes low enough to 'salute' a skipper.

I'll take a BIG red light up top, thank you.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although this from the FAA is only a partial answer it should give some guidance. As for the "look how big mine is" I suspect the one they're showing off for is the fellow in the low flying Cesna concentrating on taking pics. That aside does anybody here know who currently has the tallest mast and how high it is?
    2-2-3. Obstruction Lights

a. Obstructions are marked/lighted to warn airmen of their presence during daytime and nighttime conditions. They may be marked/lighted in any of the following combinations:

1. Aviation Red Obstruction Lights. Flashing aviation red beacons (20 to 40 flashes per minute) and steady burning aviation red lights during nighttime operation. Aviation orange and white paint is used for daytime marking.

2. Medium Intensity Flashing White Obstruction Lights. Medium intensity flashing white obstruction lights may be used during daytime and twilight with automatically selected reduced intensity for nighttime operation. When this system is used on structures 500 feet (153m) AGL or less in height, other methods of marking and lighting the structure may be omitted. Aviation orange and white paint is always required for daytime marking on structures exceeding 500 feet (153m) AGL. This system is not normally installed on structures less than 200 feet (61m) AGL.

3. High Intensity White Obstruction Lights. Flashing high intensity white lights during daytime with reduced intensity for twilight and nighttime operation. When this type system is used, the marking of structures with red obstruction lights and aviation orange and white paint may be omitted.

4. Dual Lighting. A combination of flashing aviation red beacons and steady burning aviation red lights for nighttime operation and flashing high intensity white lights for daytime operation. Aviation orange and white paint may be omitted.
  12. riis21

riis21 New Member

Does anyone have an idea how much this mast might cost??
  13. Yacht News

Alot of money!
  14. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Here is how she looked at FLIBS a few weeks ago!

Her aluminum mast is 246' tall!

perini.JPG

Please notice you can see Salute's exhaust ports above water as she was on the hard depending on the tide.

They had to wait for extreme high tide to bring her in and take her away from her spot at the show on the ICW.

And a vid of Mirabella's 292' mast being destepped for her recent refit.

m5 (ex Mirabella V) - YouTube
  15. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Here she is all lit up at night.

Attached Files: