Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Westport

Wooden Hull Restoration Questions

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by 92GTA, Aug 28, 2006.

1. 92GTA

92GTA Member

I know this isn't a wooden hull forum but I don't know where else to go for help.

I just bought a 1961 30ft Chris Craft Cavalier. I don't think I need to go into details other than the following as this post if for restoring the hull only.

It's was in the ocean from 1961 until 1989 when it was bought from the original owner with 634 hours on her. The buyer moved it to his yard and finally began a restoration of the hull in 1996. Fast forward to 2006. The hull has been sanded all the way down to the plywood surface on the starboard side and entire bottom. The port side still has the original finish with light sanding in some places. There is a section 10ft in from the bow about 6 inches down from the deck which is bubbling and a chunk taken out of the bow under the water line about 4 inches wide and an inch tall that is deep but not all the way through. Also in my opinion one of the bottom pieces of plywood needs to be replaced as well. Anyway, the wood working and the labor involved is not the problem.

My problem and question is where to HECK to buy all of the materials needed? Here is a quick list of what I *think* I am going to need:

Marine 3M 5200 Sealer
    Marine Wood Filler (I don't like Bondo and my fallback would be Fiber Fill)
    Marine Plywood Sealer
    Marine Poison Bottom Paint
    Marine Hull Paint
    Brass & SS faseners
    Stuffing Box Prop & Rudder Shaft Packing Material

I already have the tools and an unlimited supply of 3M sandpaper in all grits available to me.

I'm in the middle of the California desert so everything I order is going to need to come from one place, either by making a trip down to LA/San Diego/Long Beach, or ordering it online but shipping would be a PITA.

Can someone please refer me to hopefully a company in southern CA that can take care of me for all of my needs? I'm going to need to be told how much of everything to buy because my father is helping me with the cost but will only give me 1 check no matter what so regardless of the estimated cost, I better get the dollar amount right the first time with a little left over otherwise I'll be stuck with having to stop the hull project and save up money to finish.

Also, I've been told by a member that CC originally covered the plywood hull with a thick paper after sealing/before painting. Please tell me I can buy either that material or a modern version of it? That would make the labor and the finished product MUCH better.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My goal is to have the entire hull done and the boat ready for water in 1 1/2 months working on it full time everyday by my self and having a couple friends help me full time on weekends.

Alex
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006