Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander

wood hull repair

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by CptHooksCC, Jun 10, 2010.

1. CptHooksCC

CptHooksCC New Member

On my first trip out this year I hit a log under the water in the CT river on my way back from block Island In my (1968 Criss Craft 32ft) I have The Boat dry docked now and going to attempt the repair. The hole is about 3ft long 8in wide. Im going to talk to a wood expert at the lumber yard so I can go with similar wood and plan on using an expocy resin ( ive used it before on smaller stuff and seems to work well) anyway im looking for advice from anyone who has exp with this type of repair.
  2. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    Sorry to hear about the collision. Is your hull lapstrake/carvel planked or plywood? We owned a 1950 34' Commander for 12 years and many, many planks, ribs and battens were changed/repaired over the course of ownership due to rot issues.
    If your vessel is carvel planked, I could offer some advice, but if otherwise, that is beyond my knowledge. I would guess your ribs/knees are WHITE oak (red oak is NOT suitable for marine use) and your fastenings are most probably silicon bronze.
    Peter
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I keep a pic of a 20' log with 2' showing above water on my website as a teaching tool. The pic was taken on the CT. River. After the storms of March & April there is a lot of wood floating all over the NE.
    You're in a good place. Talk with the guys over at Essex Boat Works. You'll find none better.