Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Windshield Vinyl Mesh Screen Replacement or Refurb?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Thisisit, Mar 26, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Our black, vinyl windshield screen has become less-black over the years. I was about look up a tradesman to make a replacement when it occurred to me. What if I re-painted it? I would imagine a good scrubbing and then cleaning with spirits or acetone for paint prep would be the way to go. Has anyone ever tried spray painting these screens? If so, what type/brand of paint was used?
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I dont know about the Acetone part but if they are beat then what have you got to loose.
    Scub them and paint them.

My wife paints all kinds of stuff. I look at it and say to myself , you cant do that, but she proves me wrong everytime.

Some stuff looks better tbat others but WTH.

I came home from work one day and saw that all the little evergreens planted last year ( that had died and were brown ) were replaced. I didnt even know a nursery guy was coming.

On closer inspection I saw that my wife had spray painted every little tree green. From the house, they looked great. I laughed my butt off.

They looked good most of the summer til we replaced them.

So be like my wife and paint them.
    Check back and tell us how it worked out.
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Maybe I'll just ship it to your wife. What's her turn-around?
    leeky likes this.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have thought about this also. The Hatt we watch over has a white vinyl windshield screen that is in good condition but will not clean up.
    I have been tempted to hit it with seat cover vinyl spray paint.
    Look forward to your results to offer me the courage to finally try this.

I do remember reading somewhere, headliners getting painted with good results but these do not get any abuse.
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

We also painted our head liner that was yellowed by former owner smoking.

I thought, no way this will work, once again I was wrong. It held up for years.

No special type paint either, waterbased.. She kept the paint really thin and had a sponge involved

BTW my wife is plenty busy here so I really can't cut her loose to freelance......
    Thisisit likes this.
  6. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

I've read a few RV forums on this issue. The conventional wisdom is to spray with a thinned out paint. Before drying, blow the mesh with compressed air to prevent/reduce clogging of the mesh. I would assume the screen should be suspended horizontally rather than vertically so any excess paint drips off rather than down the screen like a Plinko board. Once dry, a quick coat on the other side should do the trick.

Ralph, one fella had luck with Starbrite non-skid cleaner on his white mesh. Rinse well afterwards, I think it may degrade the stitching.

I'm thinking a paint similar to that used to paint plastic children's toys, climbing apparatus and the like. I don't think I have ever seen or heard of vinyl seat cover spray paint. Interesting though; I assume it stays fairly pliable?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hang on to that thought,,, While we read her type;
    Hello Mrs C46, Would you like to leave the house and work on somebody else's boat???
    See the world??
    Get a break from Mr C46??
    Interface with another boat wife??
    :):)
  8. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Krylon pant is good on plastic, other wise Sems paint for vinyl found at some auto stores and Amazon, we used it on vinyl dash board, door panels and carpet. Dont use any jars chemicals to clean it. Dawn with out and hand stuff and water or simple green and water, since really well and dry. More light coats are better then heavy coats.
  9. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Thanks for the info. Can Krylon go straight on or does the mesh need prep like a primer?
  10. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

If you clean it well, no primer is needed. They do have a clear primer. I've used the paint on plastic with out primer and never had an issue
  11. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I found that Krylon black gloss works the best, last a year plus in the sun. I lay the sunscreen flat on blue rain tarp and spray, two or three coats then flip and repeat. I don't remember clogging the mesh being a problem.
  12. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Update...

We spray painted the screen with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover which touts plastic applications. We used flat black.

After about 3 days, to protect the new coat, we sprayed the screen with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover clear matte to give the paint a fighting chance. It too is good for plastic.

The paint and protectant went on well and there was no clogging of the mesh.

The screen looks great and just last night survived a typical Great Lakes T-storm. Time will tell, I suppose.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Great update, Thx.