Click for Cross Click for MotorCheck Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Window Tinting

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYboater, Sep 28, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYboater

NYboater New Member

Looking for feedback on tinting boat windows to reduce heat load to make AC more effective. Any experiences, performance and product recommendations would be appreciated. Tinting would be done in Ft. Lauderdale area.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Window tinting helps considerably. I've also experienced the clear Vkool on two boats I had it installed on, it helps a little but not nearly as much as they claim.
  3. NYboater

NYboater New Member

Capt J, Thanks for the feedback. Any issue with visibility from the Helm at night?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

With Vkool, no. But don't think it's worth what they charge for it. My experiences on 2 boats is it only helped a little, very little. You'd be better off having a 2nd a/c unit installed instead.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Never tint the main nav or bridge forward windows.
    Increased reduction in forward vis and lots more reflection from back (scatter) light.
    Mask them during the day with mesh.
  6. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I used a car guy and he kicked butt on our sport fish saloon. I don't think he had done a by before but that wasn't a problem. $900 bucks. Was a very pleasant surprise and makes a good difference.
  7. dec0guy

dec0guy New Member

I work in commercial air conditioning and window tints can work well as long you use a reputable manufacturer and it is correctly installed.

Have a look at http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...0938+8711017+8730565+8730572+3294857497&rt=r3.

Lots of options depending on what you want to achieve. Another benefit is the film will prevent glass from shattering into a million pieces when hit, so potentially much safer too.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you are tinting the side windows, use 3M window tint and a very good grade of it.
  9. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

I had the local guy in Miami install Residential Bronze - 20 on the pilothouse windows. It really cuts down on the sunshine and not hard to see out, esp at night. I also had it on my truck windows - nary a problem with the cops.