Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Perko

"White Rose of Drachs"

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by Yacht News, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

2. weto

weto Senior Member

THAT was very cool ! :)
  3. Loplop

Loplop New Member

What about the flag

I saw the old thread and as we are now moored next to her, I keep wondering about the flag she uses.
    It is a blue ensign, which might make sense if the yacht club or quality of the captain or owner so allows, but they appear to have added their own logo in the blue field???
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The blue ensign will be flown when the Owner, a member of a Royal Yacht Club, is on the boat. A red one is shown when away or the boat on charter.

Various Yacht Clubs around the Commonwealth have an attatchment.

This may let you work out which Club the Owner is a member of.

British Yacht Ensigns (Yacht Clubs)
  5. Loplop

Loplop New Member

Thanks Fishtigua. It clarifies thing.
    She flies the burgee of the Royal York Yacht Club at the masthead, a crowned white rose of york in a blue field. The same emblem defaces the blue ensign.
    A slight deviaton from etiquette, she also flies the burgee of the Yacht Club de Monaco on the jackstaff. In our book, if you are member of several club, you have to choose according to location and circumstances, but fly only one burgee.
    Again according to etiquette, this means that the owner is on board or that the master is also a member of both clubs.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

On the family yacht, we fly the Royal Southern from the masthead and the Antigua YC from the starboard spreader. Two clubs, one owner.
  7. Loplop

Loplop New Member

Ah, old issues. I love discussions about etiquette, which is about the same as philosophical argument or wars of religion ;o)

After the flagstaff, the places of honour are the top of the main mast, top of the second mast, Sb spreader, Ps spreader.
    By flying a burgee in a lower position than another, you are basically insulting the Antigua YC.
    This would become even worse if you move it to port when flying courtesy flags, which normally have a lower position than your club, but so many yachties dare not fly a burgee at the mast top because of all the electronics that it has become commonplace.

White Rose could explain his use of flags away as some ships use the flag of the home port as jack, and she is probablu based in Monaco

My yacht being a ketch, I normally fly the burgee at the main top and the courtesy flag at the mizzen top (next best place). It confuses a lot of peaople and gives me a lot of fun