Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Westport

Which hull characteristics offer the most stable ride?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Drifter, Jan 15, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Drifter

Drifter Member

Which hull characteristics or boat brands, monohull hull designs, or minimum lengths or weights offer a stable ride from Florida to the Bahamas and Caribbean? Is the ride back and forth to the Bahamas similiar to the ride to the Caribbean? Where are the major inflection points? Note: not interested in a sport fish.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How fast do you want to go?
    How slow can you go before going crazy?
    Can you wait for weather windows or want an all weather rig?
    Size or cabins required?
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I don't understand the question. Define stable please. I can imagine any fin or gyro stabilized hull will be more stable than any that is not. Am I mistaken?
    Or are we precluding using mechanical stabilization?
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

1,000’ length. 200’ beam. Around 225,000 gross tons. And stabilized, of course.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

You are describing one of the ships in my Sea Service Book: 1,000', 228,000 tons.
    Stable as a rock rounding the Horn with a full load of crude. Should be no problem cruising to the Bahamas, or even the Caribbean.:D
    419781A8-DFCA-49EF-8DD9-A9EA5296BBE4.jpeg
  6. Drifter

Drifter Member

20-30 knots, 3 cabins, all weather, no stabilizers in the budget. Sorry for the lack of details. I am just looking for general inflection points, like 48 foot minimum, 30,000 pounds, etc. WHich factors are most important? Beam? Length? Weight? Pilothouse? I know its still going to rock, just looking for general guidelines or a Brand with a superior hull design, or Brands to avoid for not being seaworthy.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    gr8trn likes this.
  7. Drifter

Drifter Member

I've already been on the Oasis Class and yes they don't rock but slightly out of my budget. I should have enough saved up in 5 more years if I wait that long.
    MBevins likes this.
  8. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

In monohull sailboats I find that 50'LOA with little overhangs so LWL close to that make a world of difference in comfort in a seaway.
    I wonder if that length holds true in monohull stinkpots.
    I know my friends 70 steel repurposed pilot boat is stable without stabalizaion compared to any boat I have been on. That's long and heavy.
    Drifter likes this.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

First of all there is a big difference between the Bahamas and the Caribbean. For the Bahamas the longest offshore run is about 50nm and on a good day, a bow rider could cross. For the Caribbean, once you leave Great Exuma and Long Island you will have numerous offshore passages between 75 and 200nm. Completely open water with swells and wind waves from the NE and E

i wouldn’t consider going to the Carib without stabs (either fins or gyro). Bahamas is ok as you can pick your days more easily.

low CG helps and that means limiting weight up top. Enclosed flybrdges, tender on the top deck, etc make things worst. As much as I like a flush deck design vs a “stairmaster special” they will roll more. A sharp entry at the bow is also pretty important so that will mean less accommodation space at the bow.

Years ago I used to run a 70’ Johnson MY, skylounge, with tender and jet ski up top and NOT stabilized. It rolled pretty bad. It had a beautiful VIP at the bow with centerline queen and would just slam into anything over 3’.

again make room in the budget for stabs even if that means going a few years older

“20-30kts”. Lol… 20 knots is no problem. 30 is another story. Especially if on a budget :)
    Drifter likes this.
  10. MM3

MM3 New Member

11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I ran a Johnson 70' Sky lounge as well, almost 20 years ago.
    Yes, it slammed like it had a flat bottom, but fast: Electronic MAN's 1,350 hp.
    The Owner always wanted to go flat out, 29 knots but we never did the Bahamas, only the Keys on the outside. DAE766EE-49E4-4F94-BB2D-2034AC986543.jpeg
    Drifter likes this.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That’s the one I ran… Charmer. I see the name on the side of the skylounge. I made these with black lexan and silver graphic. :)
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There are so many variables. The sea state changes so drastically, Your speed is another problem. SF would be the best choice with that budget and as far as bang for the buck goes, as a 50' Post SF meets ALL criteria and rides great. That being said, some of the power cats, like a 43'/44' Lagoon meet that criteria and are a great seaboat up until around 7' seas, but aren't fast enough 16.5 knot cruise. Getting to the carribbean in anything around 50' is going to be a major challenge. Yes it can be done, and I've done it, but sea state is never nice South of Long Island, Bahamas.
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, I just picked the photo from the internet, couldn't find a pic of the Big Johnson I was running.:cool:
    The name was "By The Way", it had a strange option: Isinglass for flybridge windshields, hence no windshield wipers.
    After a cruise at full bore from Fort Lauderdale to Ocean Reef the isinglass was covered in salt, had to send the owner down to the foredeck with a hose to rinse of the "windshield".