Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Where to get the US Visa

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by MYCaptainChris, May 11, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Does anybody know if a member of crew can apply or even obtain their C1/D and B1/B2 visas while visiting the United States on holiday?

I have a british couple joining me on board but they have a holiday booked in Florida before they come. It would save a great deal of time and expense if they can.

Chris
  2. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

3. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Check those links above but the quick answer is ...
    based on past experience you can not get a B1/B2 in the US. They will have to leave the country and get the visa before they enter the US.
    They might be able to get one in the Bahamas. Had a chef who got one there a couple of years ago.
  4. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Visitor's and C1/D Visas

The U.S. usually requires that a person applies for a B1/B2 visa from the U.S. Consulate in the country where the applicant lives.
    Not sure, though, about C1/D visas.
    Arnie
    :)
  5. MYCaptainChris

I know that used to be the case but I think they changed things to try and help the crew. I got mine while I was in Malta
  6. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

They must get it in there home country. A few years ago I came into the Bahamas after coming across the Atlantic with some crew that needed B1/B2's, I even had an immigration lawyer helping me and the US consulate in the Bahamas sent us packing. I ended up buying them all full fare full refundable tickets to Ft. Lauderdale and then on to England. Once in the US they canceled the onward part of there tickets and stayed for the 3 month visa waiver. I have heard some crew ablt to get them in the Caribbean, but that was all before 9/11.
    Your best bet is to send them home or only hire B1/B2 holders.
  7. reidsatsea

reidsatsea New Member

C1/D Visas

I see this thread has been quiet for a while, but:

We flew to Barbados at the end of February to get C1/D visas, and got them without any trouble at all. (No mention of it not being our country of residence at all.)
    All the forms are available online, and must actually be filled in online - this means that when you print them, they print with a barcode which is ABSOLUTELY necessary to get you in the front gate of the consulate!
    Once you have your barcoded forms, you go online to make an appointment for a particular day - even though you won't actually be seen at that time!
    It wasn't nearly as painful as we thought it would be, and the officials were all very helpful and rather friendly. :rolleyes:
  8. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Be careful with the C1/D visa, I believe the limit is 29 days in the US. This is of limited use aboard a yacht as once in the US they tend to visit several ports (the New England run etc.) and you will have to leave the US and return several times during the season.

A B1/B2 will allow up to a 180 day stay which will allow you to do remain for the entire season.

Good luck

Dave
  9. MYCaptainChris

and

yes your right but now the problem is they won't issue a B1/B2 as we are a commercial vessel!!!!!!
  10. reidsatsea

reidsatsea New Member

Visas

It's all rather confusing! We have used our B1/B2 visas for years with no troubles; but were recently forced to get C1/D visas with the advent of the ANOA / ANOD online electronic filing for commercial vessels.
    In the USVI, CBP have told us to use a B1/B2 if we do not have guests on board and are not entering the US to pick any guests up. We have also been told NOT to file ANOAs or ANODs electronically in this instance. (We were admonished strongly for filing one with no guests onboard!)
    If, however, we have guests onboard or are coming to collect them, we must file the relevant notifications online and clear in with the C1/Ds.

Each time we clear in..... we wait for someone else to tell us something different! (And we are certain that mainland US rules will be different.)

As recently as August last year, the Consulate in the Bahamas was issuing B1/B2 visas to crew - and no questions were asked re commercial vs pleasure. The crewmember simply had a letter of appointment from the Captain. (Canadian citizen)
  11. JackofallTrades

JackofallTrades New Member

B1/B2 in Europe

For crew looking to get a B1/B2 visa prior to joining a yacht as crew I found it remarkably easy. I am a British Citizen normally resident in the UK but I needed a B1/B2 fast before I joined my next boat. After a little research on the US state department website I found out that the embassy in Lisbon had a same day service for Visas. I showed up at the embassy with my forms, a letter of employment from the boat (stating they would pay to send me home if I lost my job etc.), a copy of the boats certificate of registry and a receipt for the 100 odd euro fee I payed at the bank 200 metres up the road from the embassy. They processed all of this in five minutes, took my passport and five hours later I had a B1/B2 visa valid for ten years.
    I thought maybe I was just lucky but six weeks later we had a new stew join the boat who needed a B1/B2 visa as well. We sent her to Lisbon and she had as easy a time getting all her paperwork through just as quickly.
    This was over a year ago but I checked on the US state department website on http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/tempvisitors_wait.php and it is still same day turnaround.