Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Perko

Where is the sailboat Stormbird?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Angelus, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Does anyone know what happened To the 53' Dubuios named stormbird.. Last time I saw her we were sailing in the Admirals in Cowes.. Since then I lost touch with the owner as I never went sailing again..I spent an eternity sailing around on her and would love to know who owns her and if the mast and boom I designed and built in 94 is still aboard..Very much doubt it.. If any of you dont recognise 'Stormbird' Ex Dumptruck she was originally... Do you have pics of Dumptruck Pre Stormbird.. I have thousands of stormbird but no Dumptruck.. one of the last I ever took of Stormbird below A fine summers day on the Solent:( :( :(

Attached Files:

2. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Suprised

Hi All. I posted this some time ago and I'm absolutely amazed at no one Knowing where she is. OK, the sail doesn't really tell you much so here are some more pics I found in the attic..

Attached Files:

3. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Detailing

She is very noticeble by the odd boom and spreaders. I was told at the time it was all a bit radical at the time but the Director of the company gave me a free hand. Personally I was rather proud of the Compass stand fwd of the helm wheels. The owner saw some just like them in an Australian regatta. When He returned he told the director of my company what he had seen.
    " You mean Ragamuffin" He said Angelus designed and made them. Go see him. Needless to say he was very happy with them and we soon after put them into production. The boom unfortunately failed on trials but after 3 hours of tinkering I got it right.

Attached Files:

4. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Final day

Half the reason I want to find her is for the time I spent working and sailing on her. For 6 day deliveries to The Admirals cup for the racing. Here are some nice pics I took on the last time I sailed with the crew. I had the best job to date back then. The company folded shortly afterward and all the yachts were gone. Along with my job. Someone must know where she is now.

Attached Files:

5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What was the hull material?

The name is somehow familiar from and old thread where someone was looking at buying it that one was an aluminium boat.
  6. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Thanks

Hi there and thanks for trying. She was composite all over. Aluminium mast and boom. No money for Carbon. When the owner bought her she had sunk in the North sea (Not deep) so he got her for very little money. Extensive work was done but unfortunately at that time she was very out classed by the newer IMS class yachts. He still had enough money for a new mast and boom though. I re designed all the winch stations and modified the jumpers. Being a personal friend at the time we gave him a great deal money wise. By the time she was finished she moved up from commonly 13th- 15th place to 3rd or 5th commonly.I find it hard to believe that with the different features on board no one has seen her. But as I mentioned, she was 'Dumptruck' A very famous yacht in her time. Thanks for trying.
  7. ljjorgensen

ljjorgensen New Member

Stormbird Dubois'54

Hi,

I realise my reply here is late, however thought it still would be worth
    writting to you. I know of the history of the s/y Stormbird.
    Stormbird was found in Cork without mast and 20' container full of gear. The old owners, I beleive a Irish Lawyer got tired of breaking the mast and left her unsailed for a period. A Danish company bought the yacht back in year 2000 I beleive, sailed her across to to Abeenraa (via Kiel Canal) in Denmark where Nordic Mast made a new mast for her. Stormbird was used for Team building, corporate events, races and was the first years sponsored by TELE2 (a scandinavian telecompany) . Stormbird was based for a while in Rungsted (just nort of Copenhagen, Denmark) and later spent most of the time in Oslo (Norway) sailing the cost all the way upto Bergen on the westcoast. The project was later sold to a Norwegian recruiting company based on the westcoast of norway. While under this new ownership and new skipper Stormbird unfortunately had a accident in 2003 or 2004, what was beleived to be a Gas-explosion while in port. The result being she burned and sank, but was lifted out of the water again. Pictures of the wreck was seen in the norwegian newspapers. What since have happend to her is unknown to me. I was skipper on Stormbird in 2001, and what a fantastic yacht. I cannot compare this yacht with any other when it comes to sailing performance and handling. Have sailed her across the North Sea several times surfing in excess of 18 knots with no handling problems..... shame her life came to such an end.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

ljjorgensen, Welcome to Yacht Forums

Thanks for posting that info, don't worry it was long after the question was asked. It has answered his question and that was the original point of the posting.

We all look forward to seeing your future posts if they are even half as interesting as the first one.