Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Where is the high season during July-August?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by derek884, Jun 4, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. derek884

derek884 New Member

I am a American currently studying in Toulouse, France. My semester will end on June 20th and then I plan to move to Antibes, France to try to find work as a deckhand. I have been talking to crew placement agencies in Antibes and they have given me some glim news about being able to find work. They told that high season there is in May during the Cannes Film Festival and the Monaco Grand Prix. Where is the high season during June 20th and Sept 1st?
  2. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Stcw95?

Did you do your basic MCA course?
    That's what they will want to see.
    High season is definitely in South of France.
    Antibes is the mecca of yachting.
    Try Bluewater yachting - Peter Insull's.
    Fact is that all agencies are a bit negative towards holiday-job seekers; they prefer career goers.
  3. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

TRY is right, most captains will require MCA basic course or STCW 95 certification. One of those is required for all crewmembers on yachts that will charter.

Dave
  4. derek884

derek884 New Member

I have talked with bluewater yachting and no I don't have any certifications. I would be willing to take the certs but bluewater told me they were over $1k which I can't afford.

The certs I have are:
    Open Water Scuba
    ~250 Hours Fire Fighting training
    Healthcare provider CPR & 1st Aid

I have many more skills but they don't seem to help much. I am a senior mechanical engineer and I can just about fix or build anything. I know how to do engine work, body work (composites, glass, & metal), painting, use most power and hydrolic equipment, woodwork, varnish, machining, and more.

My plan is to move to Antibes in two weeks and try to find work. I am planning to talk to all the agencies and just walk the bay every day looking for day work until I find a position.

Do you have any advice? Am I bound for failure without any certs and looking for seasonal work? I am a pretty driven person and I think I can do anything when I put my mind to it, but I would appreciate any help you could give me.
  5. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Basic STCW95 at Bluewater is EUR 1200.
    I think that's a must.
    Then hang around at the crew's hangouts, Blue Lady, The Hoppe Store and similar. But do this quickly because they're all gone in a few weeks time.
    Again, as I said, agencies like career-minded people which they can place and replace a number of times over the years, each time they get 1 month's wages!
    So holiday workers are not much their favourites!
    Good luck.
  6. cyd

cyd New Member

the stcw 95 training

If you are a fluent French speaker (which i assume you are from your profile) You can in fact complete your 4 modules (firefighting, sea survival, first aid at sea, and personal and social responsabilities) at the maritime colledge in Nice, I believe the cost is about 800 euros, but the stcw training is only in French, so no good to un-fluent students.
    Also, most yachts seasons continue throughout part of september, which is why your dates are not the easiest to fit to, crew changes during the season are not wanted if at all possible.
    Agents will charge the employer a fee for a seasonal position as well as a long term placement, so I believe that the issue of certification as well as dates will be the reason for your current response from the agents you have currently contacted, Good luck, try the Nice Maritme college.
  7. derek884

derek884 New Member

Thank you very much for responding. The information is very helpful to me since I have had a hard time getting this information for the placement agencies.

Well, my French is decent at most. As an engineer I don't run into many problems because most engineering terms are universal, but it maybe be a bit more difficult to take the cerification in French.

So it seems to me the advice is invest in the cerification course or look for another job. Is that right? The delima is if I invest the time and money in the course I still may not find a position because it is so late. My other options are limited since I already turned down many nice engineering opportunites.

It is kind of a hard place to be in but I guess I must either decide to take the course and risk not finding something or just look for another type of employment.

I will take any suggestions if anyone has any.